Stuttering Intel HD

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Sigsy

Stuttering Intel HD

Postby Sigsy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi there, the game is unplayable for me as there is a constant stutter/mouse lag.

I'm running it on a laptop with i5 Intel HD graphics.
I've tried forcing V-sync on and off, have updated all drivers and reinstalled numerous times but still the same.
The CPU isn't maxed out or anything.

Any advice?
StebCH

Re: Stuttering Intel HD

Postby StebCH » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Same issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2422
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

It seems laptops are cursed somehow. I run the game with a desktop i5/HD4000 and it is just sweet. I was worried when i read that HDseries were not officially supported but it seems they only cause probles on laptops or when it's the HD3000 series.

HD4000 runs fine.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:41 am

Hi guys. Yes, the Intel HD series is inconsistent which is why we specified that they aren't officially supported. That said, I've seen the game running just fine on the 3000 line so it's possible to get it to work. Often times it just requires finding the right driver version. Did you reinstall/update your drivers using your laptop manufacturer supplied drivers, or directly from the Intel website? I'd recommend trying to get them directly from Intel.

Sorry about the problem.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Snow_Cat

Postby Snow_Cat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 pm

edit: LOL, I'm an idiot.

Good work implementing the fixes so quickly in the beta patch.

[spoiler]
Meow;
I am not an expert but I do want to help find a better solution.
Please delete this and PM me if this is inappropriate or unwelcome.

I see that wglSwapBuffer() is being called very-frequently.

I read that wglSwapBuffer() by default waits for a buffer AND V-Sync unless wglSwapIntervalEXT(0) is used to disable V-Sync, or the drivers being more robust than Intel currently provides.
Adding this as an option may be adequate.

Without decompiling I can only guess that the buffer swaps happen immeadately after rendering- would it be practical to put the game logic between the render and buffer swap as suggested on the linked StackOverflow?

I did try triple-buffering on my machine with V-Sync on, and that too did seem to relieve my mouse lag but also had frequent memory access violations, even managing to crash my browsers (my video drivers were likely to blame).

[/spoiler]