save files

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
tempthomas

save files

Postby tempthomas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 am

are there no saves files besides the one continue?
it should have save files so i can have my kestral file, my engi file, and my brother can have HIS files, and my dad his if i get him to play. its a family thing.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: save files

Postby Matthew » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 am

Sorry, FTL doesn't have an option for multiple accounts. Just one of many features it'd be nice to have, but it can be difficult to do everything since we're only a two man studio (and I'm the only programmer).
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 pm

If you're playing on a Windows box, if you log in as different users it should work as you desire. The profiles and saves are stored in a user specific folder that will switch when you switch users. If you're using the Steam version, it should run fine from all the users on the box.

I haven't tried installing it on my Mac, so I'm not sure exactly where things are cached. I suspect Linux is the same, with them choosing to use the home directory for saves.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 am

While user specific profiles may work, there is still only one save, and it is deleted after loading. It's not possible to save multiple games in FTL. A playthrough ends in victory or defeat, the save&quit option is there to let you pause for interruptions or take a break.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:10 pm

project_mercy is correct, different user accounts on any system (Windows, Mac, or Linux) would allow for multiple profiles. FTL's continue saves and profiles are stored in the local user directories. But Steam might overrun things using the Cloud Saving, I'm not sure how smart it is.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:24 pm

To manage my Let's Play, modding, and regular play I wrote a batch file to swap out the continue.sav and profiles of each type. Instead of running FTL, I run this batch file.

Back up your stuff first just in case and you have to create all the directories (and you could edit the menu and stuff for different "profiles" if you know anything about batch files) and you'll need to modify the path in line 2 to be your ftl save directory, and create an "ftl.lnk" that links to the game (just copy or use the one on your desktop or start menu).

Oh, and you'll need to create all of those directories and copy at least your profile into each one.

Code: Select all

@echo off
pushd "C:\Users\~~~~~~~~\My Documents\my games\FasterThanLight"
if exist recent\*.sav goto :recenterror
echo (L)et's Play
echo (M)ods
echo (P)lay
echo (Q)uit
choice /c LMPQ /n /m "Which would you like to play?"
set _choice=%ERRORLEVEL%
if %_choice%==1 set _choice=lp
if %_choice%==2 set _choice=mods
if %_choice%==3 set _choice=play
if %_choice%==4 goto :endit
move *.sav recent > nul
move %_choice%\*.sav . > nul
start /wait d:\util\ftl.lnk
move *.sav %_choice% > nul
move recent\*.sav . > nul
goto :endit

:recenterror
echo ERROR! C:\Users\Yotto\My Documents\my games\FasterThanLight\recent\*.sav exist!
echo This process may have had a problem last time, and cannot run again until
echo the files in that directory are removed. They may be the only copy of a save,
echo so be careful!
goto :endit

:endit
popd
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."