no reward for warning shot to pirate

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
LoWang

no reward for warning shot to pirate

Postby LoWang » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:31 pm

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Distress:_Civ ... _by_Pirate
I chose the blue option "fire a warning shot" and the dialog window just disappeared and FTL drive dinged that I can jump to next waypoint. No continuation or civilian gratitude response happened :-\
UltraMantis

Re: no reward for warning shot to pirate

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

I think the wiki may be incorrect here. This is an unusual blue option because it's one of the rare few that accidentally penalise the player. You chase away a potentially scrap rich enemy and get nothing for your trouble except you are free to leave and suffer no battle damage.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
RAD-82

Re: no reward for warning shot to pirate

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 pm

When I first saw this post, I took a quick (but not thorough) look at the files and didn't see anything wrong. While doing a little mod testing on something else, I encountered this bug. I guess I need to take a closer look again.

edit: On closer inspection, I've found the problem. A <text> and <choice> tag got swapped, so the event fails to continue properly. I suspect the misspelled "hidden" has no effect on the failure of this event, although if the event was working properly, it probably wouldn't perform the hidden function.

Code: Select all

<eventList name="PIRATE_CIVILIAN_BEACON_BEAM">
   <event>
      <text>Detecting the greater threat (and potential reward), they turn and engage your ship.</text>
      <ship load="PIRATE_CIVILIAN" hostile="true"/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <choice hiiden="true">
      <text>It seems the pirate wasn't looking for a fight with someone who could fight back. They leave and you move to contact the civilian ship.</text>
         <text>Continue...</text>
         <event load="SAVE_CIVILIAN_LIST"/>
      </choice>
   </event>
</eventList>