Extrene CPU Usage

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
dohashi

Re: Extrene CPU Usage

Postby dohashi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 am

I've noticed this CPU usage on my laptop too. It is unfortunate because it really chews through my battery.

Assuming that FTL is not frame rate limited, I'd guess that it is spinning in an event loop waiting for user interaction, and that can use 100% CPU. An easy fix for this is to put a timer in that event loop and if it has been less than, say, 1/100 of a second since the last check (or whatever you need to maintain smooth game play), sleep for a bit of time. This can significantly reduce the CPU usage.

I'd really like to see this fixed, FTL could be the perfect airplane game, if it didn't eat batteries like mad.

Darin
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 am

There will be clear options for both V-Sync and Frame Limiting added to the options as soon as I have time to push out an update (hopefully within the next couple days). Sorry about this guys. Working overtime during this busy launch.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 am

zasdarq wrote:There will be clear options for both V-Sync and Frame Limiting added to the options as soon as I have time to push out an update (hopefully within the next couple days). Sorry about this guys. Working overtime during this busy launch.

I'm sure we can wait and understand the amount of work you have now makes the development of the game easy. nice that you are willing to add V-Sync and Frame Limiting to the system.
roidal

Postby roidal » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 pm

zasdarq wrote:There will be clear options for both V-Sync and Frame Limiting added to the options as soon as I have time to push out an update (hopefully within the next couple days). Sorry about this guys. Working overtime during this busy launch.

Good news! Thank you very much!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am

There is a beta version for Steam of a patch including Vsync and Frame Limiting available, check out this link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2707

The full patch should be available to everyone within a couple days, it's just that Steam provides an easy way to make multiple fast changes in case of emergencies before we put it fully live. Since we're a small team with limited testing capacity, that's invaluable.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here