(Mac OS X) MacBook Air gets really hot after 10 minutes

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
nfiea2

Re: (Mac OS X) MacBook Air gets really hot after 10 minutes

Postby nfiea2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:28 pm

yeah, don't listen to that guys

the kids that wrote this game don't know enough to make their stuff work correctly with most hardware. I'm sure they have enough work as it is; the game is barely playable when it's working correctly
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Agouti wrote:Sorry to say, but this is a fault with MacBook Airs not FTL. Assuming simply replacing your computer isn't an option, you have a few things to try.

[...]

2. Install Windows or Linux
Installing a different OS will give you access to V-Sync as well as access to power saving options (someone might need to confirm for MBA, to my knowledge you can but I'm not 100% sure) such as limiting CPU speed.

Uh...

:roll:

I'm on Linux and have the same issue. Running a different operating system might give you more workaround options, but it is game-dependent, which is why they're testing and soon to be releasing a patch for it.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 pm

localhorst wrote:Hi!

When playing FTL my 2012 MacBook Air 13" gets really hot after 10 minutes with the fans constantly running while the game consumes about 80% CPU load which seems too high. Any advice you can give me for this and/or any fix for the Mac version in the works?

Thanks,
Localhorst

As another followup to this, in the meantime, could you let me know whether or not you're playing in Windowed or Fullscreen mode? I noticed a significantly lower CPU load on my Linux laptop while running Fullscreen than in Windowed mode, though I don't know if this is different in any way on OS X.
DrNoid

Postby DrNoid » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 am

localhorst wrote:
Agouti wrote:Sorry to say, but this is a fault with MacBook Airs not FTL.

I have a hard time believing that 80% CPU load is my computer's fault ;-)

If your hardware is not capable of running at 100% for an extended period of time then your hardware is "defect", or "not suitable for its intended use".
Since geeks seem to like car analogies: It's like buying a car that can do 120km/h highway speeds, but only for 2 minutes, after that you have to slow down again to 80km/h.

So he was correct in stating that the problem is that the MacBook Air has insufficient cooling capacity, and overly noisy cooling fans.
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 am

DrNoid wrote:
localhorst wrote:
Agouti wrote:Sorry to say, but this is a fault with MacBook Airs not FTL.

I have a hard time believing that 80% CPU load is my computer's fault ;-)

If your hardware is not capable of running at 100% for an extended period of time then your hardware is "defect", or "not suitable for its intended use".
Since geeks seem to like car analogies: It's like buying a car that can do 120km/h highway speeds, but only for 2 minutes, after that you have to slow down again to 80km/h.

So he was correct in stating that the problem is that the MacBook Air has insufficient cooling capacity, and overly noisy cooling fans.

but then again your game is a shitty pos that should have been made in flash and there is no excuse for it to max out anyone's CPU unless they are running it on a box that is five years old.

for fucks sake the game doesn't work with so much hardware that your anti-mac fanboy comments seem like a desperate attack coming from someone that knows he and his team have been caught in a fuck up

how many threads have I read about people's systems being maxed out running this pos little game
systems with 8 gigs of ram, dedicated graphics cards, and CPUs well over 3ghz?

yeah, its not the games fault that it decides to max out a single core

face it; the idiots that wrote this POS would have been fired from real jobs because they clearly don't know how to bring a real product to market

you sell a company software that maxes out their CPUs and has all of these bug issues and they will take your ass to court

the makers of FTL aren't really that far from a class action lawsuit forcing them to pay back all of their funds to whomever asks[People with systems that meet the minimum requirements will be allowed to force these people to issue refunds because software doesn't work with their hardware due to glitches]

so all in all I'm saying keep walking over that line

keep pushing your customers

you'll find out why little startups fail so often
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 am

DrNoid wrote:If your hardware is not capable of running at 100% for an extended period of time then your hardware is "defect", or "not suitable for its intended use".

This is getting off-topic for this thread, but I disagree. While a computer should be able to run at 100% for indefinite time, the intended use of a laptop is to run cool and for a long time. It's good to be able to have 100% CPU when needed it, but for most tasks this isn't the case.

Also, when a program does eat an unusual amount of CPU power compared to programs of similar complexity, it can be said to have an issue. In portable hardware, CPU consumption is battery consumption, the less the better.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 am

boa13 wrote:
DrNoid wrote:If your hardware is not capable of running at 100% for an extended period of time then your hardware is "defect", or "not suitable for its intended use".

This is getting off-topic for this thread, but I disagree. While a computer should be able to run at 100% for indefinite time, the intended use of a laptop is to run cool and for a long time. It's good to be able to have 100% CPU when needed it, but for most tasks this isn't the case.

Also, when a program does eat an unusual amount of CPU power compared to programs of similar complexity, it can be said to have an issue. In portable hardware, CPU consumption is battery consumption, the less the better.

the fact of the matter is that modern CPUs have a system to automatically overclock based on speed

What 100% capacity is changes based on various factors, but mostly the temp

so the 100% capacity speed for running constantly is different than the max speed

Anyone's CPU can be run faster than 100%; it will just light your CPU on fire; FTL tries to do this to lots of hardware becase the people that made this game have no experience making anything and their software isn't compatible with lots of hardware.

more or less the people that wrote this need to stick to java and flash and leave the real programming to people that can handle it