Zoltan crew power down weapons

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
AnnoDomini

Zoltan crew power down weapons

Postby AnnoDomini » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 pm

So I'm in sector 1 with the Kestrel, I've picked up a Zoltan crew member and I have a Hull Laser on my ship. My weapons, as laid out, cost 1 power, then 2, then 2 again, and I've got a level 4 weapon system. If my Zoltan crew member walks through the weapons room, his power is applied to that system; unfortunately, if I have both of my lasers powered up (i.e. if his 1 energy is applied to a level 4 system with two 2 power weapons), my hull laser powers off and my artemis missile starts charging.

It looks like if there's a higher priority power 1 system on your ship and a Zoltan walks through weapons, the game will turn off weapons so that he can be powering that system. Zoltans can partially power weapons that don't cost 1 power, so I think this can't be what the devs had in mind. I very nearly lost a fight because the weapon I was using was depowered when I sent the Zoltan from engineering to shields.

Sorry if I haven't explained that well enough, I'm still getting used to the game.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Zoltan crew power down weapons

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry for the confusion. You can rearrange your weapons by clicking and dragging them. This acts as a priority queue, so the ones on the far left should be your most important ones (which the Zoltan naturally powers) and the far right the least important. When your weapon system is damaged and is forced to depower weapons, it will depower from right to left. This way you can make sure the correct weapons stay charged even in emergency situations :)

Hope that helps!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Zoltan crew power down weapons

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Just two more quick points: The weapon rearrangement can be done even during combat, really at any time at all. Just drag them around on the bottom bar. Drones work in the exact same way once you have a Drone system.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here