Bug report: Impossible Nebula

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Amaror

Bug report: Impossible Nebula

Postby Amaror » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Hey i just wanted to report a little bug i stumpled upon.
The beacons were so far away from the starting beacon, that it was impossible to reach the ending.
I made a screenshot. It wasn't too bad since it only was the second sector, but it would be quite bad when you on sector 8 or something.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Bug report: Impossible Nebula

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:12 pm

This has been a rare problem we haven't been able to nail down. If you or anyone else experiences it, please Save & Quit immediately and email me (zasdarq@ftlgame.com) the save file. You can find it in the same location as your profile data, described at this post:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1892
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Forgot to say: Sorry about that. Would be very frustrating :(
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 pm

At least you found it in Sector 2 not sector 6.
Treefrog

Postby Treefrog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Very similar issue, though in my case cannot reach the quest marker.

Ive included the save file in the attachments.

Hope this bug can get quashed soon enough.
Steneub

Postby Steneub » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 pm

If I could make a suggestion for a potential fix:

Once the node locations are chosen, run a quick analysis of which nodes are out of reach. If there are any, allow a special case where it is reachable from the closest node, regardless of distance.
vincentsels

Postby vincentsels » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 pm

2012-09-28_000644.jpg

also had it, in sector 4 :( didn't find this post until after i died (before assuming it was a bug, i thought that i might have missed it so went backwards) so no save game included though :/
Jotoco

Postby Jotoco » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:33 pm

I have found those as well.

I will remember to save the game when I do it again.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:29 am

Also guys, remember that you can turn on pathing from the options as of the new patch. So double check that a sector is indeed impossible! Save games are appreciated for any that you find that are in fact impossible.
DrNoid

Postby DrNoid » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:37 am

It seems to me that the problem here is not that a single node is unreachable, but that a cluster of nodes is unreachable. You can't detect that problem by ensuring that every node has at least one reachable other node, since the nodes in an unreachable cluster all have at least one other reachable node, in that same cluster.

The easiest way to detect this situation is to calculate the distance to the starting node, for each node. But since you already seem to be using Dijkstra's algorithm, there must be a bug in either the implementation, or the check to see if all nodes are accounted for...