Full Screen

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Full Screen

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:41 pm

@Keyzcz If your monitor doesn't support 1280x720, then it will find the closest possible resolution to maximize the game screen but still requires black borders. Sorry about that, but if it stretched it on that aspect ratio the game would look very ugly and strange :(
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Ultraman

Postby Ultraman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm ok with black borders, but as it stands the game is centered and slightly too small for me to enjoy. My desktop is at 1680x1050 and running it fullscreen with black borders would be fine if the game only had them on the sides and it at least filled my screen from top to bottom. I'm running the steam version, and wonder if there is a way to have the game change my resolution to what the game supports so I don't have to manually change it on my desktop when I play.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 pm

@Ultraman:

In your game install folder there is a "settings.ini" file. You can add two lines to that file:

screen_x=<value>
screen_y=<value>

Then run the game with Fullscreen - STRETCHED. This will force it to a resolution of your desire but use black borders. Make sure to choose only valid resolutions that your monitor supports. That should let you play with different settings to find the black border to game ratio that fits you best!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Ultraman

Postby Ultraman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 pm

zasdarq wrote:@Ultraman:

In your game install folder there is a "settings.ini" file. You can add two lines to that file:

screen_x=<value>
screen_y=<value>

Then run the game with Fullscreen - STRETCHED. This will force it to a resolution of your desire but use black borders. Make sure to choose only valid resolutions that your monitor supports. That should let you play with different settings to find the black border to game ratio that fits you best!

Thanks for the reply zasdarq.

So, if I don't use those values and only select fullscreen stretch, the game does stretch. I have to center it, but the refresh rate is stuck at 60hz, which is headache inducing on my CRT.

Now, if I input values as you suggested, no matter what resolution I put for those values here's what happens... It loads up in 'full screen with black borders" mode, and while my screen borders either shrink (for low res) or expand (for high res), he actual game size doesn't change. It loads up centered with black borders, oblivious to the expansion/shrinkage of my screen borders, if that makes sense. I tried taking a screenshot, but it just takes a pic of my desktop, and not the game.

If I could change the refresh rate on the default 'fullscreen stretch' mode (without inputting values in the settings.ini), there wouldn't be any problem. But the only way I could tell to do that is to set it in my Steam 'launch options' for the game, but that has no effect. It's stuck at 60hz.
Last edited by Ultraman on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keyzcz

Postby keyzcz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 pm

zasdarq wrote:@Keyzcz If your monitor doesn't support 1280x720, then it will find the closest possible resolution to maximize the game screen but still requires black borders. Sorry about that, but if it stretched it on that aspect ratio the game would look very ugly and strange :(

So i have to use window mode?

Why you can not add resolution option? Many indie games have this option.
How can i search on forum?I can not see search button.I can use simple search if i use sub forum like Technical Support and Bugs.
Zorder

Postby Zorder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Is it me or are you saying that people whose monitors can't support 1280x720 can actually play the game but in not such good "shape"?
MacCarthaigh

Postby MacCarthaigh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

My monitor DOES support 1280x720 but when I try to run it in stretched mode the game loads up with a slightly green tinted "black" border around the edge of the screen. The same thing happens when I force 1280x720 in the .ini.

When i force 1920x1080 I get a proper black border but the game screen is even smaller.

I had a similar problem with Crysis before and I fixed that by running it in a borderless windows at 1080... I'm not sure I can run this in a borderless window if the max resolution it supports is 1280x720...

I'm running an ATI 6870

Any fix for this?
Background

Postby Background » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 am

To go back a problem or two, I had the same problem as Vertical Online. The game would not save the fullscreen setting when it closed, and had neither a settings.ini or an stdout.txt file.

I seem to have fixed the issue simply by installing the game in a different folder on the same drive. Possibly the GoG version of the game is having some sort of an issue with the Program Files (x86) folder then?
Rirath

Postby Rirath » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:28 am

If I'm understanding this thread right then, there's no way to force this game to run at 1920x1080 without black bars, even when set to fullscreen - stretch? That's really not cool, to be honest.

Window mode is good enough, but if I speficifcally select "stretch" over an option called "black borders" - I'm certainly expecting the game to honor my request. Hope this is changed.

Looking forward to this game, but ouch - bad first impression!
Rirath.com - Reviews / Photography / Art / Articles
SpaceCatSamba - Fan Art & Winamp Skins
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 am

Without putting anything into settings.ini, and setting the game to "Fullscreen - Stretched," FTL should naturally render as a fullscreen, 1280x720 window. Using the settings.ini file, you can guarantee that the game is attempting to set 1280x720 and not mistakenly setting it to something else because of bad information from your OS.. it acts as an override and helps to diagnose the problem and get us closer to a solution. We're trying to figure this out, please bear with us!

Two other threads on this forum have suggested ways to fix this that worked for them.

Change your desktop resolution to 1280x720 and then go into your CCC or Nvidia Control Panel and set underscan to 0 for all refresh rates:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1943
https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... 0x1080_res

NVIDIA solution, set the scaling mode as this person suggests:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1968

Let me know if those or anything else helps.