Game crashes after loading screen

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Ranger1

Game crashes after loading screen

Postby Ranger1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello,

I played FTL a few hours ago but after I updated the program VLC the game won't start again. I deinstalled and reinstalled it from steam but without any sucess.
Also a deinstallation of VLC don't fix the problem.

My config is:
Windows 10 Pro
8 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 960M

stderr.txt:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc

stdout.txt:
Initializing Video
Video Initialized
Opengl version = 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.53
Starting audio library...
Audio Initialized!
Resource Preload: 8.704
Loading text....
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
isla

Re: Game crashes after loading screen

Postby isla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi there. Does this crash happen at the end of the loading screen (where you see the bar fill up) or at some other point in time?
Ranger1

Postby Ranger1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi. It chrashes directly at the end of the loading screen. Displayed error is:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error

I already reinstalled all Versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime (from 2005 to 2017) but without success.
isla

Postby isla » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Since it's crashing at the end of the loading screen, this is most likely an issue of a corrupted profile.

To test it:

1. Turn off Steam Cloud Sync - If your save file is corrupt or lost, Steam cloud sync will be trying to reload the wrong copy. (From your Steam Library, right-click on FTL and select "Properties."--> Click the "Updates" tab. --> Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for FTL." --> Click "Close.")

2. Close Steam.

3. Move/rename your current profile. That's located in My Documents / My Games / FasterThanLight -- You're looking for prof.sav and/or ae_prof.sav

4. Without restarting Steam, run FTL directly from its installation directory like you did before. (The game is located somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light.)

If the game works when you do this, then the issue was a corrupted profile. Your progress, however, will be lost.

You can, however, restore your lost ships and achievements with Vhati's profile editor: viewtopic.php?t=10959
Ranger1

Postby Ranger1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 pm

You were right, it was the corrupted profile file. Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation, it works fine now again. :)