1 bar left... (spoilers!)

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
orange ninja 98

1 bar left... (spoilers!)

Postby orange ninja 98 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:38 pm

after managing to get to the last stand, i still only had my Artemis and burst laser. i engaged the rebel flagship, and in the tough battle, i managed to cripple the opposing cruiser. I went to deliver the final blow with my Artemis, with one missile left, took the shot and... missed!
by this time they had got their shields back up to 3 bars so i couldn't use my burst laser to finish them. so i jumped away to find a repair station but they had all gone, so i had no choice but to resign to my fate.
has this happened to anyone else?
Last edited by orange ninja 98 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJJ

Re: 1 bar left...

Postby TJJ » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Ramming Speed! :lol:
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm

well, if this was phase one, you'd be up to very nasty surprise if you'd succeed...
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 am

Welcome to the forum ninja.

Yes it has happened to quite a lot of us. Sometimes you survive ok and get to the last stand, but unfortunately cant find or afford decent weapons, or run out of missiles. To me it happened twice, and it really sucked. We were two crippled cruisers unable to land a finishing blow. He had no weapons, and i ran out of missiles....

Try to have a backup strategy for every fight. You already know that missiles can overcome strong shields, try adding a teleport and destroying the enemy crew. Cloaking makes you invulnerable for periods of time. Defense Drones can shoot down asteroids, missiles AND incoming boarding drones. You can never have enough money or power for all systems, but try to have two means of overcoming an opponent. For example if you go for high defense + boarding, you wont need strong weapons at all.

Please avoid posting spoilers, or at least tag them.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
orange ninja 98

Postby orange ninja 98 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 pm

sorry about spoilers and although i had cloaking, i didn't have a second method of destroying them.
i could never afford to get a crew teleporter or find it.
deutrino

Postby deutrino » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 am

Don't lose hope! Let me tell you what happend to me.

I am more interested into the explorations, so the first thing I did was to install "No rebel fleet" mod. This way I was able to roam freely wherever I wanted. The only downside was that the last few sectors weren't very interesting, because I was too strong. And I didn't care about beeting the final boss at all.

The VERY FIRST time I decided to play legitimately, I taught I will be in trouble, because of the constant pressure that rebels will give me (less sectors=less scrap=less options).
Man, wasn't I wrong... The game was really generous to me!

The stuff I bought:
- burst laser II
- boarding drone
- drone control
- crew teleporter
- cloaking device

The stuff I found for free:
- system repair drone
- defence drone I
- heavy laser I
- hull laser I - 3 of them
- hull laser II
- burst laser III (!)
- pike beam
- ion bomb
- small bomb - 3 of them (!)
- fire bomb
- healing bomb
- some rocket launcher (2 shots x2 damage)
- weapon preigniter (!)
- weapon booster (!)
- stealth weapons (!)
- shield booster
- ftl jammer - 2 of them
- repair arm - 2 of them
- scrap recovery arm

What an awesome RUN! In all my freeroaming even when I had visit every sector I wasn't nearly as fortunate as this time.
So, you see your luck may turn out any time. :-)
orange ninja 98

Postby orange ninja 98 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm

my luck did turn,(got crystal ship!) but after killing the flagship the first time (didn't realise it had to die more than once, i had lost EVERYTHING; my hull was on one bar, i had fires all over and i jumped to the next sector only to be greeted by a rebel cruiser and killed.
Cocapelli

Postby Cocapelli » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 am

orange ninja 98 wrote:my luck did turn,(got crystal ship!) but after killing the flagship the first time (didn't realise it had to die more than once, i had lost EVERYTHING; my hull was on one bar, i had fires all over and i jumped to the next sector only to be greeted by a rebel cruiser and killed.

that was exactly what happened to me the first time i fought the boss... "what?!? again!!??!?!"

excepting the crystal ship you lucky, lucky.