Fight of the Osprey - Mysteries of Abadoth?

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Weaseley1

Fight of the Osprey - Mysteries of Abadoth?

Postby Weaseley1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:18 am

Been almost a year or so since I last made FTL fanfiction. But now I'm back. Back into the fight with Fight of the Osprey. If anyone remembers the old one, expunge it from your memory. This time, Fight of the Osprey won't suck. Hopefully.

My main plan with each chapter is to provide a present storyline of navigating the nebula of Gamma Cluster, with cuts to past adventures (like how Debbie came onboard or who died on the way to giant alien spiders) which ultimately lead into a sort of rich-narrative adventure.

Most of it will be set in the Gamma Cluster but depending on my interest levels in writing this and everyone else's, it might spread out towards other sectors (like Chiron Beta Prime). So yeah, without further ado, here's Chapter 1. Enjoy. Or not.

The Gamma Cluster was a frequent hotspot of conflict between the telepathic Slugs and the energy-based Zoltan. The Slug Trade Fleet and the Zoltan Resource Protection Committee would send ships out into the pink/purple gas clouds and exchange blows before departing.

As the Federation Cruiser FSS Osprey jumped into the sector, they happened to arrive at one such battlefield, their wrecked corpses forming a ring of debris around the entrance beacon. They were not close enough to the nebula for it to start interfering with the sensors.

Captain Douglas Jensen watched the debris impact against his ship’s shields like asteroids and sighed. “Are you sure this was a good idea Two-Zar?” he asked the robotic gorilla standing next to him.

The grey machine stared back at the man with an emotionless glowing green visor. “Sector Gamma Cluster” he intoned, tracing a multi-tooled hand across the screen “Composition of nebula gas clouds. Product of Slug Celaforming.”

“Everyone knows that. Including the Rebel Fleet who have no doubt made preparations for their approach here” Douglas said in a very restrained voice “We’re underequipped as it is and we have no idea what lies ahead.”

“Nebula. Possible debris fields and plasma storms. Recommend avoidance” Two-Zar stated, swiping another display showing a pink/purple map of the sector along with a few spots where stars could be seen in the background. Small yellow diamond-shaped icons with blue circles around them were marked as “possible jump beacon” along with a note about the Rebel Fleet being prepared for the clouds.

“Directive, Captain?” Two-Zar intoned, tilting his head sideways at the Human.

Douglas rubbed his chin in contemplation, staring at the beacons in range. Then one of them flashed red. “Captain, we’ve got a distress signal on known Federation channels on one of the jump beacons. They could use our help” said a chittering voice over the comms.

“Robert, the Gamma Cluster is a frequent battlefield between Slug and Zoltan forces. Chances are it’s some old Zoltan wreck” Douglas replied to the sensor operator.

“Captain, isn’t it our duty to answer distress calls? Even in these hard times?” Robert buzzed “Otherwise we’d be no better than those alien-hating Rebels.”

“I am aware of the Federation’s goals and my duty as Captain of one of the Federation’s finest cruisers” Douglas explained calmly, sitting down in the piloting seat. He mentally prepared a set of beacons to jump towards that would (hopefully) maximise exploration along with speed.

“But Admiral Tully made it clear when he sent us on this mission” he continued “We are to reach Federation Command by any means necessary.”

Robert switched off his comms and remarked to himself “And we have to babysit that Engi spy while doing so.” He looked back at the sensor readouts and saw no other hazards in the area. The distress signal began to sputter and fade, only to start up again at another beacon, then another. “Guess it is just an old wreck.”

Meanwhile the Osprey spun up its FTL drive and prepared to jump to the next beacon.

Captain Douglas Jensen had barely put his duffel bag down near the helm when an Engi approached him, datapad in one of his multi-tooled arms. “Greetings” the machine said, holding the pad out expectantly “Congratulations on assignment to Osprey.”

“You’re my XO? Figures the Hive-Mind would want a Botan agent onboard” Douglas remarked, taking the datapad and quickly tried to grab the Engi’s hand to shake it. The machine withdrew quicker; his task completed. He replied “Affirmative. This unit is designated Two-Zar. Please consult manual. Time is short.”

Douglas shook his head and checked the datapad. There was an audio message flashing to which he played.

“This war is going to get worse before it gets better, Captain Jensen and Controller Metfel. Botan agents have managed to acquire intel about the Rebel fleets that will prove a means to an end of this senseless conflict” a man informed him. Admiral Tully, Douglas thought to himself, As the Federation currently stands he’s essentially the President.

“The intel you’re is carrying is vital to the remaining Federation fleet! Do not let it fall into the hands of the Rebels who are no doubt chasing after you even as we speak” Tully continued. Douglas could imagine the man leaning in close to the microphone as if using a quieter tone in an audio log made it more secretive.

“Intel? What intel?” Douglas asked, looking towards Two-Zar who was just standing there. Douglas knew enough about the machines that the Engi was unhappy about having to speak to the “slow” Human. “Never mind. Best I not know what data you’re carrying Two-Zar.”

“I have given you a sector map of the path of least resistance. Choose your route carefully and above all else, survive and do not get caught.”

The datapad briefly showed a sector map and beacon paths for several areas. Tully’s voice continued, although he sounded as if he wasn’t sure what he was authorising was the right thing to do. The tone of desperation.

“You are authorised to take whatever means is necessary to achieve this goal. If you need to firebomb a colony or steal medical supplies, the only consequences you’ll face will be on your conscience. I am entrusting you with something bigger than obeying the rules and regulations. We are all counting on at least one of you to make it back to Command with the intel.”

“Good luck and Godspeed Captain Jensen and Controller Metfel. Admiral Tully out.”

Two-Zar stated “Controller Metfel operating Stealth Cruiser Nesasio. Metfel optimal Captain for task. Would prefer assignment to Nesasio.”

“Hah, sounds like the machine is in love” Douglas commented, raising his arms out in front, his fingers cracking as he began setting a course. He was already acquainted with his crew before Two-Zar gave him the mission so he said over the comms “All hands, prepare for departure.”

The hangar bay doors opened and two ships were lowered via tractor beam outside of the base. Once free of the hangar, the engines flared and the FTL drive began spinning up. Once it was charged, the two ships Nesasio and Osprey jumped, thus starting their mission to save the Federatio
laniusplushie

Re: Fight of the Osprey - Mysteries of Abadoth?

Postby laniusplushie » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:30 am

Have you considered posting your story to ao3 and ffn? They are the major fanfiction sites in general. If you have other fandoms there's sure to be fanfic of them on there!