victory with most unused scrap?

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
rhaining

victory with most unused scrap?

Postby rhaining » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:10 pm

I've finally finally finally completed all the achievements on Hard/Advanced mode (see separate post). So just for fun, I thought I'd see how much spare scrap I could muster in a single victorious game. I decided to switch to Easy mode with advanced content disabled, to try to truly max out the scrap. (Sidebar: unbelievably trivial, since I've been playing on Hard mode exclusively since AE came out. I used to die regularly on this mode when I first started playing!)

Here's my first attempt, clocking in at 3056 unused scrap. Screenshots:
http://postimg.org/gallery/ho44vbmo/3ed088e0/

Things that helped:
* Easy mode
* Advanced content disabled (so Scrap Recovery Arms + Long Range Scanners would be more common)
* Crystal B (to win everything via boarding as much as possible, and, to need less systems)
* Found an early Long Range Scanner

Things that would have helped that I failed to get in this run:
* Had 0 Scrap Recovery Arms. (1st one I saw was in the sector 8 shop, too late to help.)
* Didn't enter Crystal space. (Found Rock Homeworlds but not the entrance.)

So, 4,000 spare scrap should be possible. 3x SRAs (and luck to make up for the missing LRS) + finding your way into Crystal space at the very last beacon in the Rock Homeworlds + maybe extra lucky drops to sell... yep, 4,000 is definitely possible, maybe even 5,000. I probably won't bother trying though. Playing on Easy feels dirty now. :^)