Victory snatched from the jaws of Defeat.

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
clawdew

Victory snatched from the jaws of Defeat.

Postby clawdew » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 am

I had killed the Rebel scoundrels crew on their beloved flagship. I was at the last phase of the Flag ship. My Stealth Ship C had taken a beating, but the Flag ship felt my wrath and had two hull bars left. "One more volley" I told myself waiting for my Chain laser, charge laser mark 1 and flak 1 to reload. When the super volley from the rebel flag ship fired and hit me right in the weapons bringing me to 10 hull points. "It's okay. I took out His shields. I don't need my flak 1."

Just as I think that the Rebel flagships super shield recharges and I start to panic. "I will be just fine. I still have my laser weapons." The RNG god's had other plans. I struggled to bring the flag ships super shield to 30ish percent as I missed countless shots fired at the rebel flag ship. All the while I'm slowing being whittled down by the flag ships super volley. I'm at 3 hull points. The volley is coming anytime now and My ship's systems are barely being kept alive by my near death crew. "This is it. I came so far with this dang ship, and now it ends here. Victory in my grasp and now I'm one volley away from being blown to pieces." Just as my panic and frustration reaches its peak. The rebel ship explodes. I'm shocked, happy and confused. When I remembered that one of my laser weapons had started a fire before the super shield came back up and had given me the victory just before my immanent doom. Considering all the times FTL has Laughed at my pain and destroyed many a promising run. This victory I felt was FTL giving back to me. For every "nearby sun" event. Every "You just lost a crew for trying to help someone" event. Every time I played the Poorly designed Engi B ship. Had finally been paid in full by FTL.

With a grin on my face and gratitude in my heart towards FTL's RNG god's for once in my life. I noticed that this time watching the credits felt sweeter than my previous victories. Thank you FTL. I can never say that FTL hasn't given me anything back.
Mommothazaz123

Re: Victory snatched from the jaws of Defeat.

Postby Mommothazaz123 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:04 am

I've had a moment like this before.
I was on an achievement run using Rock A (I like to try to win achievement runs), boss stage 3.
Boss superweapons, takes engines to level 2 and breached O2. Ok, fix the engines.(I had two rocks as crew total). Volley 2, why is the cloaking offline? O2 still offline, engines breached and on fire.
I rushed the rocks into the medbay to heal up and... Oh look, 0% oxygen.

I ended up having to teleport my rocks onto the Flagship to keep them alive and board, and teleported them back with the flagship at 2 hull.
Then six of my lasers hit the boss straight in the hull.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

I hate to pull this old (almost a year!) video out but if you haven't seen it, it simply must be seen. It's my old ship, the Potential, in a harrowing fight against the final boss. Link goes directly to the start of the boss battle.

http://youtu.be/ea0wtG9235g?t=6m14s
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Ok, that was a pretty boss win.

Any reason you didn't upgrade helm? I found myself yelling at the screen everytime you had the window open: "Buy helm! Buy helm, dammit!" :lol:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Dirka wrote:Ok, that was a pretty boss win.

Any reason you didn't upgrade helm? I found myself yelling at the screen everytime you had the window open: "Buy helm! Buy helm, dammit!" :lol:

For the same reason I didn't upgrade ANYTHING in the first fight: I'm a dummy.

Or at least I was about a year ago when I recorded that. I like to think I'm better now :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."