What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
SciGuy303

Re: What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Postby SciGuy303 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I was playing with the Steath A, and in the first sector, I somehow had 250+ scrap. Then I saw a shop with shields system AND Glaive beam. Sold my combat drone, grabbed shields, grabbed glaive beam, grabbed 2 power bars, g freaking g. It wasn't long before I had enough power to run the Glaive beam and have level 2 cloak, so my ship was now essentially the Steath B except with shields. Sector 3 I could run all three of my weapons, Sector 4 I grabbed a drone system with a defense drone. Then I got to the flagship. The first two phases was like cutting butter with a hot knife. Then I realised that Phase 3 had a Zoltan shield. Since my only weapon worthy of penetrating zoltan shield was my two original weapons, and once the Zoltan shield was down, I yet again realised that it still had those pesky three layer of shields, so I had to penetrate them as well. Meanwhile, as I was focusing on targeting the flagship, it was doing hell to me with its missile launcher. I soon realised that only 3hp remained on my ship, so I cloaked, but all three shots still landed and I was greeter with the Game over screen.

Moral of the story: always micromamanage. Always.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
DarkPhoenix141

Postby DarkPhoenix141 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 am

And never rely on Cloak. It's effective but not 100% effective.
This is no easy mission...

BUT YOU SON. YOU WERE BORN FOR IT.

And remember:

GODS WILL BE WATCHING
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:43 am

Actually the moral of the story is, once you get to about sector 4 or so, start building your Flagship Killer. :D Make decisions based on "How will this help me against the flagship?"
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 am

DarkPhoenix141 wrote:And never rely on Cloak. It's effective but not 100% effective.

Agreed. Only use it for immediate dangers, like a BS Missile about to fire. Then make sure their Weapons get punished for trying to destroy you with that BS.

5thHorseman wrote:Actually the moral of the story is, once you get to about sector 4 or so, start building your Flagship Killer. :D Make decisions based on "How will this help me against the flagship?"

Your counting skills need work. :P
You should start at Sector 1, Beacon 1 on your Flagship Killer. Or at least at your first Store.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 pm

stylesrj wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:Actually the moral of the story is, once you get to about sector 4 or so, start building your Flagship Killer. :D Make decisions based on "How will this help me against the flagship?"

Your counting skills need work. :P
You should start at Sector 1, Beacon 1 on your Flagship Killer. Or at least at your first Store.

My Flagship Killers don't have 2 shields, which is usually goal 1 for me. Sure, those things are necessary to defeat the Flagship, but they're also critical to get there.

Once I've gotten to sector 4 or so, I'm getting closer to the point where I'm not just fighting to survive the game, and actually have the luxury to consider the Flagship.

IOW, when I buy a Flak cannon late in sector 2, I'm not thinking, "This will work great against the Flagship," even though it will. I'm thinking, "Thank God. This will SO help me pwn the 2-shield ships I'll see in sector 3."
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:14 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
My Flagship Killers don't have 2 shields, which is usually goal 1 for me. Sure, those things are necessary to defeat the Flagship, but they're also critical to get there.

But if you are to kill the Flagship, you'll need those shields. So your planning already starts there.

Once I've gotten to sector 4 or so, I'm getting closer to the point where I'm not just fighting to survive the game, and actually have the luxury to consider the Flagship.

And you have the luxury of choosing which systems you want to see you through.

IOW, when I buy a Flak cannon late in sector 2, I'm not thinking, "This will work great against the Flagship," even though it will. I'm thinking, "Thank God. This will SO help me pwn the 2-shield ships I'll see in sector 3."

I tend to think to myself "This flak gun is a useful weapon against anything. So glad I got it early. I'll definitely keep this as I advance. Might even face the Flagship with it."

OK, all joking aside I agree that it should be Sector 4-ish that you begin planning the end-game arsenal but ultimately all games end with the Flagship and so it's best you plan very early for the encounter or else you'll be in big trouble.
Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm

One time I was playing with the Mantis B, and got a pretty decent run. Boarding crew of 3 Mantis and 1 Rock, all gold melee, A few Zoltans for one shield barrier and an Engi somewhere in there. BUT The one flaw that would cost me dearly was that I only had Dual Lasers. So I get to the Flagship, teleport my Mantis guys in to take out the weapons and realized that I had made one ultimate mistake of destroying the lasers over the beam. I thought it wasn't a big deal, since I had cloaking to avoid the power surges where the beam would destroy me. I try and go for the entire crew, but my guys cant't land a single mark on them (They keep rotating their crew out and healing every chance they got). So I have to pull my boarding party back to heal, and try again.

Their only beam weapon can't hurt me as they have no way to pierce 3 shields, and my Cancerous dual lasers can't pierce their shields, and I can't pick off their crew members.

So I was left at a stalemate.

I ended up dying because I beamed ALL my crew over there in a last desperate attack, but to no avail.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 pm

That's why you should have invested in a Clone Bay mate :D
Also, you went after lasers? Don't you know what happens if the Flagship loses all its crew? It becomes an automated ship and starts repairing damaged systems quickly. If you left the guy in lasers alive, then you'll be under minimal threat throughout all the phases.
singtech

Postby singtech » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:20 pm

http://i.imgur.com/LCBDnjo.png

When it came down to it, I had to fend off boarders with GOD DAMN ENGIS AND ZOLTANS. It would mind-control my engi's and i'd mind control his stronger boarders lol.
During the last moments all my systems were down except some shields, and MY ENTIRE WEAPONS SYSTEM.
I knew if my engis could repair the medbay before suffocating, it'd be another one of those silly scenarios where they'd be stuck in eternal low-hp healing/suffocating states. Flagship supershield down! Can I make it!? Do I have more firepower!?

Sadly....so close....

But really, I lost because of 2 typical Mantis B errors:
-before the flagship, got greedy on farming a dronefighter. it stealthed before i could retrieve two low-hp boarders....
-during flagship stage2 I forgot to retrieve two boarders as it flew away

FUCK ME

At least in the meantime its entire crew also died, boarding me and repairing its shields.

GG
TheDerpyPotatoe

Postby TheDerpyPotatoe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Once in the Crystal B i had two Crystal and 2 mantises as a boarding crew go against i think 2 engies and a zoltan. Nanobots and energy everywhere. :twisted: :twisted: