Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
mysterjinx

Putting out fires by removing oxygen

Postby mysterjinx » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Did you know, in case of fire, you can pre-decompress the ship by opening just the airlocks?
Mister Sammy

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Mister Sammy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 am

When boarding the Slug Interceptor with a vessel possessing a 4-room teleport and at least 3 crew, ideally 4, you can save a lot of time by targeting the teleporter on the engine compartment, thus boarding both it and the main ship.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 am

Watch out boarding auto scouts with mind control if you have a Zoltan Shield.

Your teleporters will be outside the shield and will instantly get mind controlled. The one who gets mind controlled is guaranteed to die and the other will likely die if he takes too much combat damage.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:50 am

If you have Mind Control, before every battle with a ship that has a Hacking System, TURN OFF THE MIND CONTROL!
Better safe than sorry as there's a slight chance that's the system the enemy will hit.

That way you won't be locked in a cycle of hurt as someone gets controlled, released after a few seconds and then you'll be unable to power down the system until that hacking module is dead. So not only does their hacking take away your crew member and damage others, it also takes away 1-3 bars of power unless you turn it off before each battle.

If it doesn't get hacked, feel free to power it right back up.
Trapex

Postby Trapex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 am

Dont know if this was posted before.

When fighting enemy rebel ships trying to escape and youre caught in a position where u cant prevent them from escaping, you can jump away (given your ftl is charged) before they do to avoid the rebel fleet from being warned of your position and thus preventing them from advancing as a consequence.
CobaltAthos

Postby CobaltAthos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:43 am

Ok, I didn't read all of them, some may be repeats, some may be basic but this is also for the noobs in need, so here we go.
Did you know?
Other than missiles, defense drones knock out ion intruders or boarding drones. Saves you the trouble of having to fight them by person!

If you're really lucky, you might hit a drone or even an enemy's shot with your shot! FTL is luck based, after all.

"Losing is part of the fun! ...No, I'm serious..." - On-screen tip when you begin a run.
You will do that. A lot. This is FTL: For The Lose (as fans call it), after all. So don't ragequit!

You can cheat an ion/beam combination by turning off and on the shields (turning stuff off and on works irl, why not ingame?) and letting it hit the bare ship. If you're lucky, it'll hit a non-necessary system or even an empty place!

Keep an eye on crew members' health, especially if you have a boarding team and even if you don't. Weapons do damage to your hull AND your crew! I've lost many crew to this and I don't want you to do that as well.

That's it for now!
"Remember, losing is part of the fun! ...No, I'm serious..."
delta77thegreat

Postby delta77thegreat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:19 am

Never put a mantis in doors unless you have no other crew to man it. This way you can use the mantis to deal with boarders without sacrificing the manned level boost for doors.

This probably has already been said but I'll say it again. Never put a zoltan in a subsystem unless you have to. Its a waste of their reactor bar that they provide.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 am

If you have a spare Mantis and no other crew who can take the station, doors is probably a good place to put them. It's good to have a heavy hitter there if someone teleports into Doors. Like they always do!
delta77thegreat

Postby delta77thegreat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:48 pm

stylesrj wrote:If you have a spare Mantis and no other crew who can take the station, doors is probably a good place to put them. It's good to have a heavy hitter there if someone teleports into Doors. Like they always do!

Honestly whenever I get boarded, it always seems to be in my airlocks. So I've found that putting Mantis in doors is okay if there is no one else, but if you have someone else manning sensors that can take door duty for a while, you can free up the mantis.

On another note, my first upgrade is to upgrade the blast doors on any ship. Makes dealing with boarders much easier. This probably influences my crew manning setup as well, as sometimes I will leave doors unmanned if the blast doors can hold and I need to deal with boarders especially quickly.

Another tip: This one is best explained with a scenario. Say your 3-human security team is fighting off 3 rebel boarders. You might as well send any spare crew in to help, even if it's an engi. They can do damage that will allow your crew to kill their enemy before they die. Because with humans, the damage is equal and it's uncertain who will die first.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

I think shooting does more damage than melee. So maybe the Human should be swapped for an Engi for at least a couple of hits. The adorkable robots can take a hit or two before sending them off for a warm meal of healing nanobots and your Humans will be a lot better at fighting off those Rebels.

So the tip here is to pause your game, send the Human to another room, send the Engi in his/her place, put the Human back in and then unpause.

Other tip: Careful when using Crystals in the iPad version. Their power icon will fill up the room so if you want to send them back in after doing a swap move, you'll always activate their lockdown because it'll be in your way.

I agree, blast doors should be top priority. I'm playing the Captain's Edition with Infinite Space and half the events seem to be some sort of boarding manoeuvre or other. You know hard it is to vent a Zoltan A? Very.