Your most Crushing defeat

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
tungsten_is_money

Re: Your most Crushing defeat

Postby tungsten_is_money » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:55 am

Had a really promising start with Kestral in sector 4 or 5 having just upgraded to have 6 power worth of lasers and some other upgrades. Decided to go to the bathroom after a fight. Came back to find my crew dead as I had the oxygen turned off to make way for the weapon upgrade.
Jachi

Postby Jachi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I just got crushed.

I was playing the Mantis Cruiser B (my lucky ship!) and was going for the Rock Cruiser. I start with 2 shields (gotta love that), I get a full boarding crew, lvl 1 cloak, a 2-shot laser, a 3-shot laser and a pike beam. I was thinking "Man, the rest is just gonna be smooth sailing." I was wrong. I got to the Rock Homeworlds, and the first node I jump to has asteroids and a 2-shield rock ship with missiles and lasers and a teleport pad. He beams 2 Rockmen over to take out my sensors and cloaking. Then everything goes to shit. The missile hits my shield, the lasers take out my weapons, and the asteroids just mess me up. I fight the intruders with everything I have, but the missiles I took to the face started fires all over the place. Then the lasers took out my medbay, and after that my ship went to pieces. And I started with full hull :cry:
doomeater54

Postby doomeater54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 pm

playing as the b stealth ship fighting a ship that had a basic laser and mini beam I cloak as the laser is fired and JUST before my beam charges I get hit in the weapons room with the mini beam I stood no chance after that
zzandrio

Postby zzandrio » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:48 am

I was doing a no pause challenge on the Zoltan A. I had made it to sector 6, and had 5 or 6 zoltans. After one particularly rough fight, the next jump asked me what I wanted to fight without, and I chose oxygen. To make a long story short, the fight took too long and all my zoltans died from vacuum. The two humans I had left narrowly escaped by running to the medbay. So I was left in sector 6 with only 2 crewmembers and it just went downhill from there. I recorded the whole thing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3vscXwW4gg It all goes wrong at the 1:01:40 mark.
Createx

Postby Createx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:57 pm

I had an awesome run with the Slug B ship going, tons of scrap, 3 Mantis, decent weaponry. I was focussing on boarding, so most of my weaponry was support. I was bragging in the IRC channel about all my awesome shiny toys, till I encountered some rebel ship in sector 7.
Long story short, I must have missed a message that they were charging their FTL and they jumped with my 3 mantis still on board.
Well, from then on I had to rely on missile pewpew, while finding no crew.
I cleared stage 1 of the boss with 1 Hull left and obviously died to stage 2.

It really was a promising run :(
Chat with fellow FTLers!
Find us on quakenet in #fasterthanlight, the unofficial channel for FTL.
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Red tail (Kestrel type B) on first jump to burning sun with auto scout armed with cloak, shield, burst laser 2, ion pulse and some bomb weapon. Direct hit to bridge and all snowbolled down very quickly. Final score 25 points :]
Brian Shadowrider

Postby Brian Shadowrider » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 pm

My most crushing defeat was with the Basilisk. I was playing Hard Mode; and I made it to sector 8. I was ONE JUMP AWAY from the flagship. Then this monster appeared. This monster was an auto-assault with three missile weapons and a burst laser 2. There was also an ASB (the only way forward was through a point the rebels had taken over). I had a four-mantis boarding party, including Kazzak, fully trained crew in their respective positions, four shields, level 5 engines, all the good stuff. The auto- assault and ASB were relentless in their assault, and I couldn't jump away fast enough. I had full hull before this, before I knew it my ship exploded. One last explosion marks your fate as your ship is torn apart...
I will have my revenge, one day...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 pm

I was flying a boarding ship (I can't remember which one) and I end up in a Slug-controlled Nebula around Sector 4 or 5.

Then I encountered the worst possible kind of ship - the 3-shielded Slug vessel with 3 Burst Laser I's and Mind Control. Oh and there was a problem with my medical facilities. So let's disable your Clone Bay with no chance of getting it back online unlike the medbay.

I had only 2 layers of shield at the time and not very great evasion. All my shots had to connect if damage was to be done and the Mind Control meant I couldn't just vent out the intruders as they'd chase after whoever they had under their control.
So I jump away only to get caught by a Rebel ship who also decides to board me. I kill the Slugs only to find that the Rebels Clone Bay can also revive them. I end up dying when the Rebel ship gets several shots in on vital systems and I died...

Another reason to avoid Slug sectors...
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Mine has to be my most recent run, as it (and Fallout. Let's be honest) has kinda killed my desire to play. I had a boarding ship with fire missiles (modded) and NO OTHER WEAPONS. I used up all my missiles, kind of frivolously, before phase 3 of the boss and it was only when I arrived there that I realized I *HAD NO WAY TO BOARD THROUGH THE ZOLTAN SHIELD*.

So I had this extremely capable ship that had kind of walked through the game, that was very able to neuter the boss in about 20 seconds and kill it shortly thereafter...

...if only it had a basic laser. Or a beam drone. Or any one of a dozen of the most common items in the game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
vdweller

Postby vdweller » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:47 pm

The Rebel Flagship...always...