I give up on the Slug Cruiser

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
cuthawolf

I give up on the Slug Cruiser

Postby cuthawolf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I cannot get this stupid ship.

I have found the platform where it is about half a dozen times, and just cannot stop the smaller ship from jumping away.

Ever.

It's engines charge super fast, and one missed shot means you're completely screwed. I know a decent chunk of this game is random chance, but there's so much randomness in this event that I desperately want to punch the developers right in the face. And otherwise, i completely love this game.

But trying to get this ship isn't fun, or challenging, or interesting...it's just punishment. So I'm done with it, I refuse. I've got every ship and layout but the Slug and the Mystery, and I'll just settle for what I have plus the mystery.

What a crock of garbage.
cuthawolf

Re: I give up on the Slug Cruiser

Postby cuthawolf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Nrgh.

Little less tantrumy now that I've had a chance to get up and walk around.

Does anyone have any advice for locking this thing down? It only just occured to me that I probably -need- an FTL Jammer, like not optional.
Adam Taylor

Postby Adam Taylor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I was able to get three rounds off with 10 sec charging weapons before it ran. Don't know why it's bolting so quickly on you.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Yeah I had no problem when I finally found him and had the right stuff. shrug.

FTL Jammer should definitely help, though.
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 pm

I might be using the wrong weapons. Maybe I'm so focused on getting the sensors or crew I need that I'm neglecting my weapons. I couldn't even get two breach missiles off before he was gone.
tour86rocker

Postby tour86rocker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm

The game must be giving you slow-recharging or weak weapons or something. I encountered the quest twice but didn't face any difficulty with it.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeah, that was a bit of a shock the first time I ran into it. Those engines are beastly.

If you focus everything on the cockpit then it tends to go down way faster than trying to hit their engines. Once that is damaged you can move on to chiping away at their engines and taking out their oxygen. Or you could just destroy it I guess.
Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 am

If you need to stop a ship from jumping, the most reliable way I've found is to shoot one missile/bomb in it's cockpit followed by boarding this room. As long you're either figthing in-, or there is a fire in the cockpit, it will not be repaired and the ship won't go anywhere.

Many ships can easily do this, however I'd recommend Rock Cruiser Type B due to it's fire bomb and fire immune crew. The enemy will not even fight you in the cockpit if it's on fire with your Rock crew in it. You will have unlimited time to finish the ship in any way you seem fit.

A teleporter seems to be very common at stores, so you can usually rely on getting one. If you don't want to rely on that, you can try with a Mantis Type A which starts with Small Bomb and Teleporter. It should do the job with a little micro management.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 am

I had to remove a couple of posts here. Please try and keep it civil. :)

Message me if you have any questions.
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I'm gonna give the Rock Cruiser B a try, see how that works out with a crew 'Porter.