How to beat the boss: a simple guide. Costs 1285 scrap.

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
DryEagle

How to beat the boss: a simple guide. Costs 1285 scrap.

Postby DryEagle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Greetings, fellow players.
I present here a guide to defeating the boss ship, almost guaranteed, almost every time.
To show that this isn't pure theorycrafting, here is my highscores page:

Yes, I have a terrible win/game ratio. I could make excuses like "Sector 1 restarts! Abortive achievement runs!" but it is what it is so judge me as you will.

Minimum requirements:
- max shields, and near-max engines
- 20 power bars (more is better)
- teleporter, with boarding party. You will want at least 2, and mantis or at least crystal/rock are very preferable.
- anti-missile drone
- any laser weapon (i.e., does hull damage, does not cost ammo)
Total minimum scrap cost, assuming you start with a level 1 shield and no weapons or extra systems:
330 shields + 345 engines + 75 teleporter + 80 drone control + 50 anti-missile drone + 355 power bars (to 20, starting with 8) + laser weapon 50 = 1285 (a regular normal run will acquire 2-2.5k, sometimes more)

Optional requirements:
- any missile/bomb weapon
- multiple anti-missile drones, or a level 2 drone
- boarding drone
- teleporter level 3

While this may seem like a lot of requirements, if you play a typical normal run, you should pick it up fairly easily.
This is most probably the easiest way to beat the boss from what I've seen, and since I switched to this strategy I have killed it every run where I had the needed stuff.

And so, without further ado, the strategy:

When the boss fight starts you should have the following online:
- all of your shields and engines (16 bars)
- teleporter to the highest level you have (1 bar)
- anti-missile drone (2 bars)
- oxygen (1 bar)
This ONLY needs 20 power bars! (22 with max teleport)

1. launch your anti-missile drone
2. beam your boarders into their missile control and kill it until it is dead.
2a. if you have emp bomb, drop it on the missile control. if you have other bombs/missiles, aim for ion or laser weapon control
3. once missiles are dead, return your boarders and proceed to take out ion then beam-laser control. DO NOT kill the operator in the pulse-laser room!!
4. once the 3 weapons are incapacitated, i.e. the ship can only shoot 3-pulse laser at you, you may power down engines, and power down shields to only 3 pips, as needed to power other weapons and/or boarding drones. prioritise missile/bomb weapons.
5. start killing off their boss ship's crew. this will be easily done if you can disable/destroy their medbay, especially if you can add a hull breach in there. if you can't, warp in 2 waves (or a full 4-pad teleport) of boarders into a room on the side (e.g. cloak) and start hammering the crew. they only have a 2 slot medbay and aren't terribly bright. some of them will die eventually. when they do, work your way over to shield control and disable that, so that you can hit the medbay with lasers if needed.
again, this is a SLOW method which requires a lot of patience! however, the end result should be:

TL;DR at the end of stage 1 you want to have achieved:
- no crew alive in the boss ship EXCEPT ONE in the pulse laser control. DO NOT KILL HIM. it is super important that he is there, as this will prevent the ai from turning on and auto-repairing everything.
- for stage 2, your anti-missile drone will shoot down the ai's boarding drones; the rest is easy, disable missiles then shields using your boarding party, and plink away at the hull with your laser weapon.

Enjoy your successful boss runs!
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Aerowind

Re: How to beat the boss: a simple guide. Costs 1285 scrap.

Postby Aerowind » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 pm

See, this relies too much on getting specific equipment, crew, etc. This game is more about adapting to what's given to you than making up a gameplan before hand. There are various ways to steamroll the boss. Don't lose because you're trying to shoehorn yourself into just one.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am

Getting a teleporter and dronebay is quite trivially easy if you are saving the scrap for them; you will be incredibly unlucky to go through a whole run without having them. The main point is to prioritise certain upgrades and strategy over others, to make the boss fight really easy.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:59 am

Aerowind wrote:See, this relies too much on getting specific equipment, crew, etc. This game is more about adapting to what's given to you than making up a gameplan before hand. There are various ways to steamroll the boss. Don't lose because you're trying to shoehorn yourself into just one.

While it is true that the game is mostly about adapting to what's given to you, the strategy he gives actually does work more often than it does not. I've taken that last boss with the same means, and he goes down really easily.

It relies on things that are easy to get: Teleporter and Drone Controller are very common in shops. Additionally, boarding ships give more rewards than blowing them up, making the strategy all the more efficient. As an alternative to a Drone Controller for the Defense Drone, a Cloak can mostly do the same job. It will prevent early missiles from landing before you've destroyed the missile room. You won't be immune to Boarding Drones, but there are many other ways to deal with them. I'm not theorycrafting either by the way. I've done the boss without Drone Control and only through boarding, and it works perfectly fine as long as you have enough crew to deal with the Boarding Drones.

The only thing that might be hard to come by is a missile/bomb weapon as well as a small laser weapon. To be fair though, would you really get the boss in any other way if you can't get a simple missile/bomb/laser along the way?

Crew is needed for most strategies, so I wouldn't say relying on getting some is relying on specific things. Simple humans can do the fighting if that is all you have. In an Engi or Zoltan ship, this strategy might not work though. I haven't tried it with them, so I don't know, but their crew seems a bit too weak to make it a reliable strategy.
SleepyMage

Postby SleepyMage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 am

I think the guide is pretty spot on as far as averagely obtainable parts go.. Though, I feel the focal point of this guide and any other boss guide would be the crew teleporter. Once you have the ability to eliminate the rebel flagship's missiles and crew then you have the foundation that can make almost any strategy work.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:37 am

I beat it on normal
without a teleport/boarding party
without a hull damaging laser/beam
without a missile/bomb
without a boarding drone
without a cloak

I had
1 Firebeam
2x ion burst 2

anti-ship drone to cause hull damage
defense drone I to stop missiles.

The fire beam lights their ship on fire, kills crew, damages rooms one by one. The anti-ship drone wittles down the hull once the inside of the ship is a burnt husk. (only needed for the boss, since random encounters are won when the crew is burned up). The 2nd ion burst keeps the important systems disabled (weapons, drone control, medbay) while the fire is burning everything.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:01 am

Best weapon combo ever that will guarantee you pure pwnage is having dual burst laser mk II side by side. nothing can withstand eight laser projectiles coming at them every ten secs. Early on, it totally defeats the purpose of using missiles and you have time to focus on drone control. Also, A boarding drone is perhaps the most useful combat drone in the game
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:24 am

My main problem with laser weapons is the accuracy problem. Many times I had 8 shots and 4 or more missed. Didn't even penetrate 4 shields. If you do aqueeze a few hits in, there is no guarantee you will be able to do it again, the damage you caused can be repaired quickly. I am a big fan of disabling the shields with ion weapons and letting anti-ship drones tear it apart. Fire at will, wheatley. (Portal 2 reference)