What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
zeek

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby zeek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Mantis B is my go to ship. It's just too much fun to drop 4 mantis boarders on ships and watch the chaos unfold. It's almost overpowered. The only weakness is early zoltan ships before you get a weapon and A.I. ships can take some time to kill which is just boring.
ngclauson

Postby ngclauson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:09 am

My overall favorite ship is the Crystal B. Though I've never won with it (on Normal, though I have on easy), I think it's coming soon (just beat the first boss stage before saving and quitting). I love the huge amounts of scrap that boarding gets you, and I prefer having my boarding party as two crystals and two mantis, which is only possible with the Crystal cruiser.

I also like the Kestrel A, mostly because it already starts with a weapon I would bring to the boss, and the Engi A (using that ship, though I don't really like drones overall, got me my first wins on bot Easy and Normal). Other good ones are the Kestrel B and the Zoltan A.

Edit: I was successful, and defeated the boss with ease. It never got hairy at all. I love the Crystal B!
Canadarm

Postby Canadarm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Bump in case someone hasn't posted here yet.

I'm new to these forums :P. Hi everyone!

The Engi A
The crew has a few "Blue" event options
Ion weapon that you can use until the end of the game
Drones for the reason above
The starting augment
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:38 am

Welcome Canadarm.

The Torus never clicked for me, rapid firing ions require too much fidleing for me (more true before individual autofire got patched in) and i do not like weapons i can't aim such as drones or artillery beams. I'm allways miserable in the Torus, but allways have a hillarious time trying to keep it's sibling the Vortex alive. :)

With 18 ships and countless mods, there's something for everyone though. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Canadarm

Postby Canadarm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 am

Haha, just about got the slug cruiser with the Vortex. I feel bad for foreveralone engi man.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:01 am

Well the Slug is the last ship i unlocked... it really liked to slip through my fingers. Very curious cruisers though.
BKT

Postby BKT » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Well the Slug is the last ship i unlocked...

Same here. ;)

Slug Cruiser, IMO, is (at first glance) the least interesting of all the "difficult ship to unlock in a normal playthrough" ships.

And so, there seem to be 2 kind of people who still haven't unlock all the ships and it will be the last ship they will unlock :

1. People without the Slug Cruiser— because they don't bother... :geek:
2. People without the Crystal Cruiser— because the game hates them! :mrgreen:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:16 pm

I also keep reading about how difficult the Mantis can be, and i think it's hard to unlock for people who:
a) rarely go the boarding route
b) tend to keep out of red sectors.
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:54 am

It doesn't get a lot of love, but Slug A is probably my favourite ship.

Dual laser and Breach 1 are fast and efficient, allowing one to disable enemy ships quickly. Breaches shut down AIs hard, everything else yields high rewards thanks to the Anti-Bio Beam.
Breach 1 is a fantastic weapon. Usually wielded sparingly for precision strikes, but when spammed raw power is impressive at the cost of high missile consumption. Damage-over-time comparable to Breach 2, with more breaches. The only annoyance: it's a weapon that rewards finesse and 100% correct use... only available on a ship that starts without sensors and doesn't need them otherwise.

Scrap value of the starting build is unremarkable, but it's set up to gain above-average loot including crew members. It starts understaffed, so even humans add value. Having much of its worth in weapons and augmentations adds flexibility - the repair gel can go, and while the starting weapons work very well together there's the option of selling them if we find something tempting.

Layout is quirky but not terrible. Door controls are awkwardly placed, but having Oxygen only accessible through the Medbay is very nice.

Lovely ship. A little fragile at first, but packing quite a sting... like the jellyfish it's styled after. From my experience, it has all the right tools in its arsenal but is somewhat unforgiving of player error.... exactly how I like them.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 am

I've played the Slug the least of all ships. Your post makes me want to take it for a few rides. I played it maybe once or twice, enough to unlock the seriously unserious Stormwalker. Then i died in that for a while.

I think Mantis A and Slug A are due for a game.