What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
omegaai

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby omegaai » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Yep its impossible to unlock slugs if you capture all their ships in the homeworld sector.
marted

Postby marted » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:05 pm

UltraMantis wrote:have never ever seen the Slug in all my 160+ games.

1Go the path that has the most nebulas.
2SHOOT ALL THE SLUG SHIPS!
3Alway accept surrender and get the info.
4Go to the quest and tail them.
5Shoot the o2
7???
8profit
Tekidek

Postby Tekidek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 am

Zauron wrote:
As for comparison to the starting ships - first, I prefer the Kestrel's layout. I find it easier to defend and keep repaired, vent fires, etc. Second, the Fed Cruiser can't install the Stealth system (arty beam takes up the stealth slot on the upgrade screen), which is super helpful against the big attacks from the final boss, and the kestrel can.

Hah, I just finished my 2nd game today on EASY with the Fed A. I had neither Stealth nor Teleport, but two BL2 and a Pegasus missile, and Defense Drone MKI. Finished the 3rd stage with ~30% hull.

Zauron wrote:
I also acknowledge that Kestrel-B is mostly a better-equipped ship than A, with a somewhat superior layout and better crew, but I find myself annoyed having to aim 4 weapons each time to get a full volley, and later when more weapons come along I have to debate which ones to swap out and if I should keep the lasers around, etc, whereas with type A I have great weapons that take less effort to use and at least 2 more weapon slots I can fill with whatever I want before I need to worry about swapping anything out.

Lol, just about any weapon in the game is better than the Basic Laser the Kestrel B starts.
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 am

"Lol, just about any weapon in the game is better than the Basic Laser the Kestrel B starts with"

No argument, but, the fact you have four of them, all with identical cooldowns for maximum volley effectiveness/efficiency, makes up for their individual uselessness...until you start running into ships with 3 shields. But you also start with half a Mantis boarding team too...
Oka

Postby Oka » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am

Helo space invaders :mrgreen:
I have all ships unlocked A and B type.
I played and enjoyed all ships and here is what i can say :

Kestrel A and Federation A ships are best if u enjoy brute force and pewpew lasorz power.
Those ships already got Burst Laser II equipped, if you are lucky and get 1 more of that baby it's gg. You will be a unstopable force when mix those lasers with Ion Blast 2.
Kestrel B is also very nice becouse with 4 Basic Lasers you get very good start and first 2-3 sectors.

Rock Cruiser B is the best cruiser in game imho. Easy to play, it is very safe and 4 Rockman at start one for each important post in the ship that can get lvl and xp fast.
Rock Cruiser A is also very good ship but tricky if becouse u have only rockets and a ship with defensive drone can make problems.

Engi A also very nice and easy ship. Ion Blast 2 is like perma disable enemy weapons and anti ship drone doing
great job at start. First sectors will be easy as pie.

Zoltan A anther great ship, that Zoltan Shield can soack a lot of damage, but vulnerable vs offensive drones, goes down very fast.

Stealth A is ok becouse long ranged scanners help you good farm ships, but B not my type is very hard to play with and very slow.
For stealth ships focus to save scrap for buying a shield.

Mantis ships mhmm .. if u like to chop chop enemy crew this is your ship.
Mantis B is great with that 4 teleport pad.
If you are going for boarding strategy is good becouse will get you more rewards, more scrap, possible crew or weapons. Try to avoid use fire weapons, breach weapons so you won't kill your crew by mistake. I can't remember how many times i lost my crew in stupid ways.
Also upgrade Teleporter and Medbay it will help.

Slug ship, i don't know what to say, for A type breach hull and bio beam enemy crew for B teleport and heal your crew. I don't like to much this ship only good thing is you can see enemy without sensors and you won't have trouble with breaches.

Crystal cruiser ( got this into sector 5 :lol: 2 days ago, have total 250 games played)
Whell Type A you go 4 sectors like a boss armed with 2 weapons that ignore 1 shield.
Problems start when 3 shield enemy ships start. You need another good weapon at least or you die in sector 5-6.
Type B has no weapon but start with Teleporter and Cloaking. So till you get some weapons u need to run when see Auto Ship or a Zoltan ship.
I will try play more with those, but i rate them as medium cruisers.
Tekidek

Postby Tekidek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

spacecadet13 wrote:"Lol, just about any weapon in the game is better than the Basic Laser the Kestrel B starts with"

No argument, but, the fact you have four of them, all with identical cooldowns for maximum volley effectiveness/efficiency, makes up for their individual uselessness...until you start running into ships with 3 shields. But you also start with half a Mantis boarding team too...

Yes I know, but that guy said he was having difficulties determining which weapons he should swap. Well, although the 4-basic laser setup makes your ship unstoppable for sectors 1~2, soon after you find better weapons and you can just swap then any way. Anything will be better than a basic laser. :lol:

We have to agree that there's no better start than the Kestrel B! It's a breeze for the first few sectors. ;)
Heyga4Huk

Postby Heyga4Huk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

I've got 13 ships unlocked and the DA-SR (Stealth B) is my absolute favorite! :D A real gutsy ship with no shields, you have to finish EVERY fight in one volley :) If you are lucky to find a pre-igniter at a store or something early on you will devastate anything in your path :twisted: :twisted:
Heyga4Huk

Postby Heyga4Huk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I love stealth B!!! :twisted: :twisted: Winning with it is so satisfying!!

The strongest so far seem to be the rock cruisers. I got 2 wins in 3 tries with Rock A, and 1 win in 1 try with Rock B.... Hard as a rockman! :lol:
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 am

get 4 rockmen boarding party with level 3 teleport for quick reinforcements and fire bomb/firebeam to burn down the ship while your rockmen keep them busy. It is easy if you play that way. I won with my highest score ever with rock type B. I had fully upgraded my ship and 800 extra scrap with nothing to spend it on when I defeated the boss.
wissenschaft

Postby wissenschaft » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm

After playing quite a bit and failing to get past 4 sectors on normal (often not making it past the first sector), starting with no shield is devastating on normal for the Stealth ships and Zoltan B. Ships have too much firepower too early on Normal. However, Stealth Ships are hilarious fun on easy.

The Zoltan ships have more weaknesses than I first though. Starting with 3 Zoltans is countered by starting with 3 less power which hurts a lot early game. The starting weapons are also good but become outdated once 2+ shield enemies appear with 3+ weapons.

Makes me appreciate the Kestral B much more, truly the most balanced ship in the game. Theres so many ways you can start strong. Using any power 3 weapon you might find is easy, remove 1 laser and upgrade weapons and the reactor once. Or you can go for lvl 2 Shields early. Or you can get a teleporter and make early use of that Mantis. The ship is the most versatile which helps prevent the RNG from screwing you over in a game. You can literally beat the final boss with a Hull Laser MK 3 and 3 basic Lasers + Teleporters.