Hull Repair Drone On Engi B Ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Silverfishstix

Hull Repair Drone On Engi B Ship?

Postby Silverfishstix » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm wondering if sacrificing a repair drone for a hull repair drone is worth the scrap. I haven't seen this drone in the while i've been playing FTL, so I assume that it's rare, and useful. Pls give me y'all's feedback!
stylesrj

Re: Hull Repair Drone On Engi B Ship?

Postby stylesrj » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 pm

The Hull Repair Drone is situational. Very situational. While it's nice to get some repairs for a Drone Part, this really only works in later sectors when three to five repairs cost way more than Drone Parts.

But then again, Drone Parts are also used by Hacking and your combat drones.

So don't buy it in stores.
Aphid

Postby Aphid » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 pm

If you've managed to find a 'Drone recovery arm' (DRA), things change. Like any other drone, the Hull Repair Drone, referred to as HRD for the rest of this post, will be refunded if it's still existent when you FTL jump. Since the HRD will heal 3-5 points of damage, you can either:

- Heal 2 points of damage for free OR
- Heal 3 points of damage for 1/3 drone part (on average) OR
- Heal 3 points of damage 1/3 of the time, and 4 points of damage 2/3 of the time for 2/3 drone part (avg. of 11/3 points healed) OR
- Heal 4 points of damage on average for 1 drone part

every jump, by using the HRD right before jumping away, then jumping away after the drone has healed 2, 3, 4, or all of the healing it can do respectively.

Observe how this trick can still be used even if you don't have spare drone slots -- you can switch in the HRD right before you FTL jump. for this case, the trick can only be used on non-hazardous beacons, you're not allowed to change ship config on these. I'd say you should keep a Hull Repair drone you find in space if you find a DRA, have one, or can buy one in the next store you visit. Buying an HRD in a store without a DRA is still iffy though.

In addition to the normal healing afforded. If you're running a ship config that's apt to take damage this is a useful combination to have. Over the course of the game, you'll be able to easily get back 63 scrap worth of repairs from it in 2-3 sectors, which is the sell cost of the combination at a store. Getting 135 back in a reasonable amount of time usually doesn't happen so for me buying this combination isn't worth it.

Finally, the HRD is the only way you can effectively have more than 30 Hull strength, which may be useful for fighting the flagship with an underpowered configuration.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Aphid wrote: Getting 135 back in a reasonable amount of time usually doesn't happen so for me buying this combination isn't worth it.

Unless you happen to encounter a lot of missiles. Which you will. Because FTL should be FTM (Fuck Those Missiles)

I think as a rule of thumb "If it costs more than 80 Scrap, don't buy it unless it's a pre-igniter"