Manning question

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
bkconn

Manning question

Postby bkconn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:12 am

I looked for an obvious answer to this but my search didn't find anything.

Does putting multiple crew members in one room increase the benefit from manning?
ie: Do shields recharge faster with two people in the room than with one?
Yellow

Re: Manning question

Postby Yellow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 am

Nope they don't. But Zoltans will give Power to rooms even if they are not manning the computer. so several zoltans in a room give aditional power :)
Caliph

Postby Caliph » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 pm

What are the most critical systems to man?

I man stations in the following order:

pilot
shields
weapons
engine
sensors

And divert crew from systems lower on the list to fight intruders and repair damaged systems as needed.

Depending on the situation I swap manning shields with weapons if I only have 2 crew.

is this a good order of doing it?
Yogi

Postby Yogi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

I don't think sensors need manning.

Order for me is Pilot --> Weapons --> Engine --> Shields. The strength of your shields matter more than how fast they recharge, since they by default recharge pretty quickly.
Guswut

Postby Guswut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Caliph wrote:What are the most critical systems to man?

I man stations in the following order:

pilot
shields
weapons
engine
sensors

You can only man the following four stations as of v1.0.1: Helm, shields, weapons, engine. Sensors, medibay, door controls, and everything else cannot currently be manned.

I'd suggest weapons are a higher priority over shields as weapons allow you to get the enemy ship's weapon system taken offline.

Besides that, you don't need to man the helm if you don't need to dodge attacks, such as if the enemy has two one damage lasers, and you have two shields.
Hypnotic Geese

Postby Hypnotic Geese » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 pm

For me it usually goes Cockpit -> Engines -> Weapons -> Shields.

If you can get the engines high enough it's a wonderful feeling to sometimes see an entire salvo from hell go *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* 8-)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Hypnotic Geese wrote:For me it usually goes Cockpit -> Engines -> Weapons -> Shields.

If you can get the engines high enough it's a wonderful feeling to sometimes see an entire salvo from hell go *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* 8-)

Testify!

It's better to spend scrap on fast engines than anything else unless you're still in need of a powerfull weapon sombination. The game mechanic is such that with slow engines, dodge chances are also low. Better engines >>> higher dodge >>> more dodging >>> crew racks up XP. The best engine upgrades offer only modest dodge improvements and cost a fortune so skip those.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.