Rate the shop Augmentations

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Jai

Re: Rate the shop Augmentations

Postby Jai » Mon May 05, 2014 6:05 am

Twinge wrote:
As for the Recharge Booster - I believe you're looking at either Level 4 Engines + Booster or Level 6 Engines to avoid the ASB. In general the booster gives far too little benefit for the cost considering Engine levels increase your FTL charge AND evasion.

Without testing, I have to say that doesn't sound quite right. Each level of engine gives you 0.25 multiplier on the FTL charge, while FTL booster gives you double whatever your current value is.

Level 4 with Booster is 1.75 X 2 = 3.5

Level 6 without engine is 2.25

If level 6 engine without booster is enough to avoid ASB, which it is in my experience as well, level 2 with booster should also be sufficient.

Given the relative strength of rebel ships once they've taken over a system, it's important to note that the Booster with any decent level of engines will let you avoid most of their nasty weaponry as well, which level 6 engines will not. The ASB isn't the only thing you want to avoid, after all.

Even in the best case scenario, a ship that already has level 5 engines, if you want to avoid ASB you still have to spend 60 scrap to upgrade your engine, for a piddly 3% extra dodge, and about 25 scrap if you don't want to draw that power from elsewhere. Compare that to the cost of the FTL Booster, and the Booster begins to look more attractive. It's certainly cheaper if you're sitting at 0 augments.

I'm not saying the FTL Booster is some kind of fantastic augment that everyone should have, but it's certainly under-appreciated for what it's good at.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 am

Just wanted to chime in and vote in favor of the much disliked Repair Arm, which as a random drop helped me survive limping along to find a store several times. At the store you can sell it, win-win.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

Jai wrote:Without testing, I have to say that doesn't sound quite right. Each level of engine gives you 0.25 multiplier on the FTL charge, while FTL booster gives you double whatever your current value is.

Level 4 with Booster is 1.75 X 2 = 3.5

Level 6 without engine is 2.25

You're misremembering what the augment does. "FTL Recharge Booster: The ship's FTL Drive powers up 25 percent faster." - and the internal boost value is indeed set to .25. I haven't specifically tested it in game but I don't expect it to be lying in this case =)
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Jai

Postby Jai » Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Oops, my mistake. I was confusing the multiplier of the FTL recharge booster with the FTL Jammer.

The couple times I've used it, the booster seemed 'better' than a single engine upgrade. My guess is it effectively takes your current total multiplier and multiplies that by 1.25 so yeah, that checks in with your numbers of Engines 4 + Booster or Engines 6 to outrun ASB.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 am

Twinge wrote:As for the Recharge Booster - I believe you're looking at either Level 4 Engines + Booster or Level 6 Engines to avoid the ASB. In general the booster gives far too little benefit for the cost considering Engine levels increase your FTL charge AND evasion.

Yeah but if you get one for free it could increase your jumps 2 or 3 per sector until something better comes along. I'm not saying put it in the God Tier but that's gotta raise it up from SELL THIS PIECE OF JUNK THE FIRST SECOND YOU CAN. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
OC2142

Postby OC2142 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Personally, I dislike the automated reloader. 10% just feels pathetic. I prefer the Pre-Igniter, especially since I like the Stealth B with the 25 second Glaive Beam. I usually grab the Scrap Recovery Arm, Weapon Pre-Igniter and the Long Range Scanners. It's an odd choice, but I like knowing what type of hell the RNG has planned for me. It pays for itself when you can see where the ships are and therefore where to pick a fight and grab some scrap.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:54 am

Can I put my 2 Scrap in for my dislike for the FTL Jammer.

There's rarely ever a situation where I need to use it as I quickly board a ship or destroy it before it jumps. Some get away and I wish I had the jammer but then again, I blame the RNG for not letting my weapons hit them in the first place.

It also means that BS Rock Cruiser Quest has more time to damage your ship with it's BS weapons and the solar flare and it also means the solar flare has more chances to cripple the Rock ship making it take even longer to escape (and miss out on that free 40 scrap from selling the Rock Plating).

Since everything at the end of the day boils down to destroying the flagship and leaves a certain, tried-and-true strategy to defeating it (Cloak is mandatory. Phase 3 :evil:), here are the augments I use (In order of Awesomeness):

Shield Bypass - Phase 3 is a joke. Teleport Breach Bombs into critical systems? Yes please. Teleport crew in? Oh yes!
Reconstructive Teleport - Vital for any strategy with the Clone Bay. If I encounter this while I have the Medbay, I immediately swap it out for the Clone Bay.
Pre-Igniter - I once came across this in the Stealth B, along with a Breach Bomb and another Glaive Beam. Breach holes in shields, then sweep it over or double the carnage with two beams.
Zoltan Shield: This or the Pre-Igniter. Really good at blocking things, but not as highly rated. Ion weapons destroy it easily, it'll go down when you least expect it and then the Mind Control/Hacking begins. Or your own boarders get Mind Controlled outside the shield (and it's Phase 3).
Long Range Scanners - Useful to avoid hazards, makes nebulae a welcoming prospect. Sell it in Sector 8 however or just before hitting the exit in Sector 7.
Scrap Recovery Arm: Been trying to feel the love for this one recently after so much neglect. But honestly, I've only really needed it for the Scrap Hoarder achievement on Hard.
Reverse Ion Field - 100% pulsar immunity if you get two and nothing else is around. Sure I could get the same thing with two Zoltans (or four) in the shield room, but well... makes Phase 1 a little easier too.
Defense Scrambler: I guess it's OK if I use Hacking or Drones a lot. But Drones takes a slot away from Cloaking.
Hacking Stun: Module on Medbay! Try and fix it now while you're dying and suffocating from my breach bomb!
Backup DNA - Play your cards right you won't need this but I guess it's important if a BS Missile smacks into the room, sets it on fire and makes a hull breach.

And finally *drum roll* the least awesome augment that I'll ever use. Ever. You'll hate me for this but:
Repair Arm - Don't get me wrong, it's really bad, and if I got in any sector, I'd sell it immediately. Except for Sector 8. Free repairs after the Flagship jumps away? Gimmie! Free repairs and the stations and stores are far away/overrun? Thanks! Could mean the difference between life and death and honestly, there isn't much left to use your Scrap for.

Every other augment out there I try and sell ASAP (Except maybe the Stasis Pod but if the map shows red all the way through when I find it, weapon please!) Some may have uses, like Distraction Buoys or Respirators, but they take up good slots from my ideal 3.
If anything, when I face the Flagship, I want to have these 3 -
Bypass, Repair Arm/Zoltan Shield, Reconstructive Teleport.