Abandoned Sector?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
TheJackall793

Abandoned Sector?

Postby TheJackall793 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm

So in my quest to unlock the Zoltan Cruiser Mk. B, I stumbled along a new sector that I wasn't aware existed, the abandoned sector. My curiosity got the better of me so I aborted my current mission for the layout to explore this sector. After warping I got into a fight with a Lanius ship, wondering if destroying this ship would unlock the Lanius cruiser I did all I could to destroy it, but it powered up it's FTL drive and jumped before I could kill it. Next I explored every place I could in this sector but to my prevail failed to destroy and hostile Lanius ships. I have a few questions to ask about this mysterious sector:

Is it a rare sector?
Any specific events which happens there?
Can you unlock any ships with the events there?
Is there any other points to going there?
Small YouTuber, please give me some support! Will/have released FTL content on iOS!
Youtube - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC58rLtNFyCMbdbn8_hTK6ZQ
hybridfive

Re: Abandoned Sector?

Postby hybridfive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 pm

TheJackall793 wrote:Is it a rare sector?
Any specific events which happens there?
Can you unlock any ships with the events there?
Is there any other points to going there?

As far as I can tell:
No, it occurs with the same frequency as other red sectors.
Yes, several Lanius specific events were written for this sector.
You can spoil yourself for it here if you want http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ship#Lanius_Cruiser.
To me, the new events are the primary point of the sector. But if you want the challenge of fighting a boatload of mind control / hacking drone / other AE content, that can be fun too.
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm

It's another sector type, it depends a lot on what ships you're rocking. As mentioned, Lanius ships have no atmosphere and have a lot of hacking and MC, and you don't (generally) run into a lot of other ships here. That means if you have a boarding based ship (Unless you also have lanius or a boat load of boarding drones), it's a bad choice. If you have a drone-based ship it's not bad, because they're generally not running rigger ships, so not anti-combat drones and such.

I view it as a cross between a mantis and a slug sector.

As a general rule, it makes better use of ship upgrades for blue options, so if you bought things like uptraded piloting or scanners, it's also worth hitting.
Zaisher

Postby Zaisher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

to get the lanius cruiser you just unlock four ships besides the kest P.S. the abandend sector is basicly the lanius one