cmon moderators...

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
SushaBrancaleone

cmon moderators...

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm

i dont want to be rude:

its been 2 days that spam bots have invaded the top of the forums..

Ive been checking on this forum for a couple of weeks now and to be frank, IT DOES NOT explode with activity.

In fact of late there are at best 2-3 new topics every day.

How hard can it be to notice that 2 of the 3 new threads are spam bots advertizing shoes and shit?

Do I go into nike stores and tell them to play FTL?

Please do whats your supposed to do and get rid of this spam as it comes out, cos I'm beginning to suspect one of the moderators could be the spammer.....
icepick

Re: cmon moderators...

Postby icepick » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:36 pm

It happens. Waves of spammers come and go. Insulting the mods or insinuating they aren't doing their job isn't helping.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

You are rude, impatient, unobservant and incorrect. You have posted in the wrong sub-forum, and created a duplicate thread. You also have already been warned in another thread, for violating the "don't be a jerk" forum rule; enjoy your day away from the forum.

For your information, over the past three days (as an example), 46 legitimate threads have been created (that's about 15 per day, not 2 or 3), and 45 further existing threads have been posted-to (some with many messages, which have all been checked).

Over the same period, 61 spam threads and spam posts in existing threads have been created; and they were all noticed, and deleted. Those were created by 41 spammer accounts; and they were all noticed, and banned. Overall, the forums are cleaned three times per day, by volunteers who have a life outside the forum. They perform an average 20 moderation actions per day, with a noticeable increase in the past few days, as spam has come back to the forum in force.

Thread moved from Tips, Strategy & Guides to General Off Topic.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 am

And on top of it it's not a moderator's problem, but master administrator.
It's a most likely a problem with Touring test at registration step.
Sandboxing new users to "say hi and introduce yourself" subforum is also a great tool.
Last resort is a plugin to vote posts as spam/not spam for users (resulting in auto-bans after certain threshold).
All of this are beyond moderator priviledges.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:40 pm

@ agent L: have u read Boa13 signature?
just in case here is an extract from another conversation with him about spam. notice how he does requests/ask to be informed.

" boa13 wrote:We are not dealing with spam bots, but with spam workers. People whose sole income is being paid to spend their days manually spamming forums. Some barely speak English, others are smarter, they imitate normal forum discussion and include spam links in their signatures. Some work alone from home, others work in teams, with managers and performance objectives. Most post three messages at most, and then go to other forums or create new accounts. A few inundate the forum with 25 messages at once, that was the most recent case.

Spam does not come to forums by chance or by mistake. Spammers monitor Google search results, hot topics in the news, web site rankings, and try to place their links on any site that has a modicum of success. It is no surprise that they arrived in force at the time FTL was released. Their purpose is generally to increase the Google rank of the advertised websites, so it does not matter much if the text is gibberish or if you don't click the link; what matters is that the Google Bot is fooled a little bit, and the advertised website ends up higher in Google Search results.

Unfortunately, as many of you have noted, this forum skin lacks a report button. The best thing you can do when you spot spam is leave it alone (do not reply to it, do not quote it), and see if it goes away by itself (currently the forum is cleaned two to three times per day). In particularly egregious cases, or if you just feel like it, you can also send me a PM with a link to the post itself (right-click on the post title to get the URL) and/or the username of the spammer (which I can use to remove his other posts).

Note that in addition to me, you can also PM Grognak and Drasha when you spot spam.

Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed."

as from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3603

justin also commented on the spam
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65

@ Boa13: what warning are you talking about? i haven't received any warning nor have i been banned for any period of time? did i not receive the memo? lol....

ALSO
"over the past three days (as an example), 46 legitimate threads have been created" how many of these were in the general and the tips, strategy and guides forums? cos those are the forums that are most read, while the others are viewed by people with more specific interests. anyways there are 7 different forums (lets not count news and announcements) 46 / 7 = 6.57. lets say 7 threads per forum every 3 days as u say. so 7/3 = 2.3 average posts per forum each day.

just to make things simple lets NOT take into consideration that "indie games" forum has 44 threads and "general off topic" has 46 threads. so we are still / by 7

you also said

"Over the same period, 61 spam threads and spam posts in existing threads have been created; and they were all noticed, and deleted"
61/7 = 8.7. lets say 9 spam threads every 3 days on each forum. that would be 3 spam threads per forum every day.

so every day (according to you) there is an average of 7+9=16 threads each day, of which 60% is spam.

on a single forum basis there should be an average of 2.3+3=5.3 threads each day of which 3 is spam.

ofc the general offtopic and the indie games forums shouldnt be even considered but i think you got my point.
chip5541

Postby chip5541 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Every website gets spam. As a Moderator for Eidos, Avault and Pacific Storm I have seen spammers hit all of these sites. I am sure the mods here are doing fine. When you have to combat both automated spammers, real poster spammers it can be daunting. I have seen spammers that will respond to a thread then a day later go back and add the spam in the post. Quote a poster and hide the spam link in the quote. Not to mention signature spammers and PM spammers. Considering everything the mods have to watch out for this is a pretty clean site.
I took a week off at Pacific Storm forums for vacation and when I came back I had to manually, one by one, delete over 14,800 spam posting. To compound this problem was spammers that log on and stay logged on for days posting every few moments so while I was deleting, they were still posting. phpBB is not the best for forums and not being at an admin level meant no access to ban users.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 am

phpbb isn't my favorite forum software since it takes so many steps to delete a post and is lacking some really nice features but we can ban the spammers and its not high volume so its not that big of a deal.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

And there are no adds on this forum. Cant stress that enough. Well, technically you could say there is for FTL itself :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

The registration question should be about some FTL features.
This would keep spamslaves away.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Proactive, technological methods like automatically suspending any account which posts a spam-like post (and let's face it, most of the spam here would probably be trivially classified as such by a Bayesian filter, since the vocabulary is far different from legitimate posts).

Even more reliable would probably be requiring a $100 deposit before registering any account from anywhere covered by APNIC, of course, and claiming it on a ban.