Kestrel made in Minecraft (working systems)

General discussion about the game.
DrTacoPhD

Kestrel made in Minecraft (working systems)

Postby DrTacoPhD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm currently working on recreating the Kestrel A in Minecraft, with (most) systems working. I haven't seen this done yet (if it has been, someone tell me so I don't feel stupid). The rooms of the ship are all to scale, and using redstone I'll be able to give the ship weapons, medbay, sensors control, teleporter, and door control and (kind of) oxygen control. I haven't thought of a way to add shields, engines, drone control, or cloaking with only vanilla minecraft.

Weapons:
The ship will start off with the Artemis, in the form of a TNT cannon. I'll try to add an automatic reloader, but it all needs to stay within the shape of the hull, because I want the ship to look good from the outside and inside. I will also add the burst laser II, in the form of a dispenser firing a triple burst of fire charges.

Medbay:
The medbay is a set of pressure plates in the center, that when pressed will set off a dispenser and dispense a potion of regeneration, for the medbay's regenerative effect. The dispenser will not dispense continually, it has about a 20-30 second delay after each use(I never timed it).

Sensors:
This (and oxygen control) is more of a stretch, because you aren't literally looking at the ship top down, nor are you able to see into enemy ships. The way I did sensors was by giving each room a redstone lamp, which could all be turned on/off from the sensor room. This is representative of how the ship goes dark when sensors are completely off/nonexistent. Along with that, if sensors go off there is an "emergency" light in the form of a redstone torch, which only ignites if the sensors are off

Teleporter:
This still needs to be decided on. I could use command blocks to literally teleport people(with a cooldown time of corse) which seems like the best option. The only reason I hesitate to do this is because it's kind of non-vanilla Minecraft in my mind. the alternative is that two holes in the floor open up and the crew can go down a tube and across to another ship, which has the same result, just not as pretty.

Door Control:
Simple enough to explain. Doors separate each room, they are opened by walking over a pressure pad on the floor, or opened from the door control room. The door control room also lets a crew member open the outside doors (separate control from internal doors). I'm considering adding a lever at each door to allow the crew to keep one door open, but I'll save this until the end, because it is quite space consuming.

Oxygen:
Oxygen control is also a bit of a stretch. for this to truly work, the entire ship would have to be underwater. Let me explain; the only way to simulate a lack of oxygen in minecraft is to have water acting as "space". I could have a dispensor in each room that releases water if the oxygen is turned off, but to have it be truly realistic it would be better just to have it underwater so that water will flow in through external doors. It will also make everything more... spacelike (I could add glowstone in the distance to simulate stars, maybe even the surface of a planet, with its own "atmosphere", which would be a glass dome filled with air. There could be a store there, or an event)

For all the other systems, I'm out of ideas. A shield couldn't work without mods, engines are useless without movement, unless I use them to limit power, which is what I'm considering doing. Being able to power up systems and such. I guess I'll just assume the ship hasn't yet acquired a cloaking system or drone control for the other two...

So what do people think? Progress at time of posting is that I have medbay, doors, and sensors done, and Im still hooking them up to rooms. screenshots to come.

NOTE: If anyone is wondering why this is in "discussion" because its not about the actual game of FTL, I thought this was better than "off topic" because it's actually about FTL, just not literally in game. I can move it if a mod thinks it should be moved.
Moosicorn

Re: Kestrel made in Minecraft (working systems)

Postby Moosicorn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Pics plz :|
DrTacoPhD

Postby DrTacoPhD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Heres an external shot of the ship so far. I'm working my way back. The door control and sensors are all set up, they just need to be hooked up to doors/lights as I make the rooms. http://i49.tinypic.com/2n8olc9.png
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 pm

The outside doors need to be pistons then
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
DrTacoPhD

Postby DrTacoPhD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 am

Like I said, I'm working my way back. nothing behind shield rooms are hooked up at all. all the rooms with cielings are done, you can see the redstone work. After it's all done, I'll put the outside of the ship on, which will both hide the redstone and make the ship actually look like the kestrel
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:54 am

Nice to see it taking shape, it already looks very good. Nice idea. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DrTacoPhD

Postby DrTacoPhD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:50 am

UltraMantis wrote:Nice to see it taking shape, it already looks very good. Nice idea. :)

Thx! I'm pretty happy that the redstone is taking the shape of the ship. Can't wait until its done. :)
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Get tekkit mod, its easy to download and comes with a sheild generator, so you can actually give the ship shields.
DrTacoPhD

Postby DrTacoPhD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 pm

madattak9 wrote:Get tekkit mod, its easy to download and comes with a sheild generator, so you can actually give the ship shields.

I have played tekkit (love it), but I want this ship to be useable to everyone, not just those with tekkit. Maybe when I finish, I'll make addons in tekkit
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 pm

I love it, and I agree with the tekkit addon. Perhaps you could make a custom texture pack to make water invisible and the ship look nicer. Also without tekkit this would go great with the zeppelin mod so you could fly the ship around.