Boss stage 2

General discussion about the game.
Morwynd

Re: Boss stage 2

Postby Morwynd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 pm

I had a great run going the other day, but due to a couple stupid mistakes near the end lost my 4 toughest crew members to botched boarding operations. I literally had like 3 Engis and a Zoltan left.

Still managed to beat the boss!

For Stage 2, I teleported a single Engi to the boss to munch away on his missile launcher, and then the other weapons (took forever), strong shields/engines + lvl3 cloaking allowed me to dodge (and/or recover from) most of the worst attacks, and the keystone of my strategy was to AVOID the boarder drone... I simply followed him around with 2 Engis who repaired each room immediately after he left it (with my 4th and final crew member manning the helm).

I never actually had to fight the boarder drone (or his followups) at all... he teleported out after a certain amount of time had passed, and no more came.
vashts1985

Postby vashts1985 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am

destroying the drone control does not stop the surge. it does however stop the boarding drones.

i recommend Glaive beam and bombs for this fight.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am

That's a unique way of dealing with boarding drones. I must admit i'm impressed, i would be panic stricken and divert all my attention to fighting it off. Since you had no such option, you actually made a smart play and repaired damage quickly, without losing focus. Nicely done! :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Klive5ive

Postby Klive5ive » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 am

It seems to me that the worse thing you want to do is kill the boarding drone.
You just get another one 2 seconds later and ANOTHER breach to deal with.

By the way if you run in and out of a room repeatedly a chasing enemy can't get any hits off.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 am

Klive5ive wrote:It seems to me that the worse thing you want to do is kill the boarding drone.
You just get another one 2 seconds later and ANOTHER breach to deal with.

By the way if you run in and out of a room repeatedly a chasing enemy can't get any hits off.

Agreed. Unless it is somewhere really critical like the pilot I usually just stall it by cycling 2 crew members (Engi are best because they are less likely to kill it) 1 at a time between the room the drone is in and the med bay until I can damage drone control enough that it stops fighting back. Then i just ignore it until the battle is won.
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 pm

I think stage 2 is far easier than stage 1 because the ship doesn't have stealth and ion gun.
Space Roman
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Megas Domestikos wrote:I think stage 2 is far easier than stage 1 because the ship doesn't have stealth and ion gun.

Then you are the only one. :D Stage 2 is worse than stages 1 or 3 because of the attack drones, boarding drones and a power surge much worse than the super laser multishot in stage 3.

The cloaking does make it harder to keep their shields down sometimes, and it gives the boss a few extra attacks against you, but only the Tri-Missille launcher is a nasty weapon. Eliminating it with boarders early on almost makes the boss harmless, and if you follow that by disableing the Beam there's little left to fear.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm

It's weird that I never have a problem with board drones. They usually send one or two but it's never a problem. My boarding party killing the missile launcher are usually done and recalled by the time the drone hits. I guess I've just been lucky though, they never send them to critical places like the cockpit or shield room.

The anti-ship drones, yeah they usually make the first actual hits on me, especially if a missile knocks out my shields, but to be honest I have never lost in stage 2. If I lose to the boss it happens in stage 1.
Space Roman