FU Flagship

General discussion about the game.
praguepride

FU Flagship

Postby praguepride » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Finally got to the flagship fight after a dozen games on easy. First battle was a nailbiter, my ship was falling apart, my crew nearly dead but somehow I managed to pull it off.

I was thrilled...then I had to face it again where it launched a bazillion drones!! :O

Now ordinarily I'd just target the drone controller and have another close battle but the drones opening salvo knocked out my level 4 shields, my weapons control and therefore all of my weapons.

Might want to tone down the drone battle a bit :(
Limiate

Re: FU Flagship

Postby Limiate » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Why would you want to be able to beat this game so easily? :D

Losing is FUN!
Aerowix

Postby Aerowix » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm

You don't honestly want to see how many more tricks the flagship has up its sleeves. :D

Spoiler:
Something which most likely help in the battles: stealth, ion bombs, high engine upgrade providing 40% evade at max lvl. But to be honest, it's more of a perfect combination of all systems. What very much bugged me, was the renewable "ability" it gained at the 3rd battle. I got it off after sweat and pain, but it just came back on.
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Just beat it on my first attempt through on Easy mode... I maxed out most systems by sector 6. Thought easy mode was maybe a little too easy, but the final boss showed me who's boss.

Great game y'all, the replayability is enormous, and the difficulty is largely dependent on player choices and skill. Such a good roguelike.
Tybot

Postby Tybot » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

I'd like to know how you were able to max out your systems like that...
jocan2003

Postby jocan2003 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm

The final boss was epid for me, first time got massivly owned at the first iteration of the boss... i tried to improve my tactics, went back with fully upgraded stealth and kept if only for the *special ability*. My last fight was EPIC!!!! last iteration, lost half my crew only 3 engi remains in my ship. As im fighting a lucky shot knock my cloak out just before his special attack on the last iteration of the boss, you know what it is... massive hit all around my ship, shield out, engines out, weapon on fire, only 2 power on it, good thing my drone control is still operational but damage, door damaged, hull at 50%, As im trying to repair my ship they send a boarder... open up all door, send a guy to the door control to repair it while trying to vent the border and all fire room. *Warning emergency power buildup* FRACK!!! my cloak is almost gone!!!! Just as he spew his attack i activate it but its now a level 1 cloak.... they all miss, while repairing i had some potshot taken at me. Long story short. After taking him out i had literaly 1hull remaining, multiple faire in multiple room, door system fully knocked down, and one man remaining holed up in the med bay with my ship on fire. Even if i could choose continue playing... no way i could repair all the ship without killing my last man... that was EPIC!!!!
Able_Baker

Postby Able_Baker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:46 am

ok so i was messing around teleporting and i thought maybe if kill all the enemy crew this will be an easy victory so i sent my 2 golden mantis fighters over there disabled the medbay with ion Bomb ( otherwise they just keep healing up and cycling their members) and i managed to kill all of the enemy crew members on the flagship but alas it wasn't that easy. :cry:

apparently the flagship has an smart AI and takes over then it started auto repairing all the systems then proceeded to fly away with over half life left on it and my mantisis.

Surly killing all the crew should reward you not punish you, and then proceed to smack you in the face.
Bushman

Postby Bushman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:53 am

I'd rather fight three flag ships than have some super powered flagship that can bend the rules and fight it three times.

The first time I fought him with a decent equipped ship, I was able to beat him but nothing I could do would stop him from jumping away. Apparently I wasted a lot of ammo on his engines. Weird that he actually blew up and still jumped away and I lost the game.
TheAlpha31

Postby TheAlpha31 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:58 am

Bushman wrote:Weird that he actually blew up and still jumped away and I lost the game.

That happened to me on the second part: the ship's hull was flying everywhere, then was like NOPE. I proceeded to die. :lol:
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 am

Limiate wrote:Why would you want to be able to beat this game so easily? :D

Losing is FUN!

Someone plays Dwarf Fortress.

The boss is far more daunting when you don't know what's going on.

SPOILERS

He only has one missile weapon. The rest are all lasers. The missile weapon is the 3rd from the left (the "middle right" weapon). Since each weapon area is self contained and has one person operating them, you can easily disable the missile by either teleporting 2 people on board or just focusing it. Once that part is dead the fight is pretty much sealed every time.

If you have a 3 or 4 shields (and someone manning them), you should be able to tank everything with just the shields. In phases 2 and 3 of the boss, using a Stealth completely negates his special ability each time. If you have 2 power in stealth it'll be up by the time he uses it again.

Then it's just a march to victory. Although a slow march if your weapons suck (first time I beat him I was using the starting 3 ion weapons (I found a third) on the Engineer ship, and 2 Anti-Ship drones. Not. Fast. At. All.)

Really, I think as long as you have 3-4 Shields and Stealth you should be good pretty much no matter else you have.