FTL on Mac

General discussion about the game.
dicesquirrel

FTL on Mac

Postby dicesquirrel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I'll be damned if I can't play FTL on the Mac side of my Mac!

Warbird

Re: FTL on Mac

Postby Warbird » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:37 pm

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... a_estimate

From what I've heard, this works fine if you use Wine or whatever it's called for the Mac.
take

Postby take » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 pm

confirmed working in Crossover 11.1 on OSX 10.7.4
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 pm

VMWare Fusion can access Boot Camp partitions and mount them within OS X... so win. Unity mode = even more win.
jkamcmillen

Postby jkamcmillen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 am

Seems I've nearly double posted, however in my thread I actually ask the question. :)

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=521

So from what I can see other than what dicesquirrel might have rigged up, there isn't currently a way to play the game without emulating Windows?

I really didn't pay for this game to be made for the Mac (among other OSes), to have to try to run Windows on my Mac. I'm hoping that the intent of the beta is to also test the Mac port of FTL as well. Else, we might end up with a buggy set of leftovers for us poor Mac users. :/
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 am

out of curiosity FTL on ipads etc ?
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 am

It shouldn't. The devs don't plan to focus on such until a time past the release of the PC version.
jkamcmillen

Postby jkamcmillen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:38 am

So should I want to actually do testing for the Mac version and I backed asking for the reward for inclusion for the beta test, I pretty much gave them extra for nothing then? That sucks, I was under the impression that Mac would be tested before the game was launched. I pre-ordered specifically because the game was to be out for the Mac as well.

(NOTE: I don't really think that the extra money was for actually for nothing as I love the game concept and felt that they deserved the money, but when you are told you will be getting something, you get disappointed even if they mistakenly misinformed you.)

On the other hand, the information that was provided in the Kickstarter campaign gave no indication that a Mac port would not be a part of the beta...

Mind you I've heard nothing from the actual developers that what you suggest is the case. (And I've been asking.)

This is all the information I really have to work on...

Will the Beta be only on Windows?

The beta is intended to help us tune the gameplay balance and progression. Maintaining builds and distribution across all operating systems this early in development would be more trouble than it's worth. The entire project is designed from the ground up to be cross platform, and those builds will be properly tested when the time comes.

And that isn't exactly the most straight-forward of stances on beta testing for Mac users. I'd assume that they don't have a plan yet, however I would like to know what they are planning on doing as I've actually put forth the money to get in on beta testing (under the understanding that I would be able to eventually) during the beta of the game.

I'm hoping for positive news here can one of the dev team tell us something though?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 am

Just to start, in the Kickstarter description it clearly stated that the Beta was going to be Windows only. We never expected to be able to run the two betas at once.

"The Beta will initially require Windows and have only English localization."

Our first priority is to just balance and add the content and features and get feedback. Once we feel confident we aren't making more big changes that would require multiple rounds of beta testing for each platform we will try to get a Mac version of the beta. As nice as it would be, just remember we ARE just two people and we're doing our best to get the game out there ASAP. Over all we feel that focusing on one platform first is the best and most efficient way to complete development.

Thanks for being patient.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
jkamcmillen

Postby jkamcmillen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey thanks for responding Justin! :)

I appreciate the issues of cross-platform development (I make games too!) so I can be patient. You guys are doing a great job and I can't wait to play. (but I will)

I mainly wanted to know something "official" since nothing was said in full, but rather mentioned in brief. I have that now so I'm happy to know.