"Close-to-sun" jumps on Mantis homeworlds

General discussion about the game.
Ethaniel

"Close-to-sun" jumps on Mantis homeworlds

Postby Ethaniel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I mean, are they common? Because I jumped to a nearby sun three times out of four. My ship was blown to pieces, but fire was the bigger culprit, not the Mantis ships or boarders.
Agent_L

Re: "Close-to-sun" jumps on Mantis homeworlds

Postby Agent_L » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Get long range scanners
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Ethaniel

Postby Ethaniel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Agent_L wrote:Get long range scanners

My slots were full. I never give up on a drone or scrap recovery arm when I get one. The other bay was occupied by the remote healing of the Engi ship.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Ethaniel wrote:
Agent_L wrote:Get long range scanners

My slots were full. I never give up on a drone or scrap recovery arm when I get one. The other bay was occupied by the remote healing of the Engi ship.
This is one of the hard choices you have to make. imho medibots are not that much useful.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Long-range scanners are the best value-for-money augment in the game. The scrap you save on avoiding solar flare systems and on knowing which systems have ships is worth a lot. Better than a scrap recovery arm? Probably not. Better than a drone recovery arm? Almost definitely -- only if you're really low on drones would the drone recovery arm be worthwhile (since it only recovers defense drones).
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:33 pm

I like it a lot because i use it to see where potential prey is waiting for me. Well worth the price of dropping an existing aug unless you're close to the endgame.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 am

Long Range Scanners are pretty good (and obviously Scrap Recovery Arm and Hull Repair Arm are fantastic), but don't go dissing the Drone Recovery Arm. Drones are expensive and it's great to be able to throw up a Defense Drone without have to hum and hah about whether it's worth using up a drone part for it.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:20 pm

I think drone recovery arms also recover anti-ship and beam drones (offensive drones).
I've noticed that every time I destroy an enemy ship with drones, I always get a "refund" on those drones (and when I jump, my defense drones gets "refunded").
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm

alextfish wrote:(..) and Hull Repair Arm are fantastic)
I hate this thing. Cuts your income whenever you're damaged or not AND doesn't repair enough to be dependable.
Drone Recovery Arm + Hull Repair drone now that's money for nothing.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Agent_L wrote:
alextfish wrote:(..) and Hull Repair Arm are fantastic)
I hate this thing. Cuts your income whenever you're damaged or not AND doesn't repair enough to be dependable.
Drone Recovery Arm + Hull Repair drone now that's money for nothing.

Does that actually work? I thought the Hull Repair drone was consumed in the process. I guess maybe if you jump out before it finishes?