A question regarding fire and oxygen

General discussion about the game.
LiquidAwesome

A question regarding fire and oxygen

Postby LiquidAwesome » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Playing through today, with my ship burning to a cinder, I was suddenly struck by an interesting thought;

If you have lost power to your O2 system, and therefore the air is not being added to a room, will having a fire burning cause the oxygen level to decrease at a faster rate than non burning rooms? And if so, will the fire eventually put itself out?

Just a casual thought, but I was wondering if anyone knew.
icepick

Re: A question regarding fire and oxygen

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah, if a fire is left in a room it will burn itself out (ie consume all the o2). With or without an o2 system. (and provided it doesn't spread)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

The opposite is also true. Pumping air into the ship can spread fires like crazy.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Flair

Postby Flair » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Well, both are true.

Even with an O2 supply, in a room with the doors closed a fire will burn itself out as the fires strip the room of O2. However, whilst you are pumping o2 into it and ajacent rooms with the fire still burning it will spread quicker.

So, in summary.

Active O2 spreads fire faster.
Fire consumes O2 and will eventually starve itself out.

I'm guessing that mechanic wise, each room has a hidden o2 value, much like hp which is drained every tick and added to every tick. Oxygen added modded by the O2 system, O2 subtracted modded by fire, breeches and doors to open space.
Guswut

Postby Guswut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Turning off your life support system is an extremely effective way to fight fires when you cannot vent a room's atmosphere into space (such as because the connection rooms to the airlocks are occupied with important systems you want to keep manned, or you do not have airlocks).
Koey

Postby Koey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 am

To add you probably want to upgrade your door system, so it is a little more fire retardant Otherwise they spread like crazy.