Getting rid of Redshirts

General discussion about the game.
Fleshpie

Getting rid of Redshirts

Postby Fleshpie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 am

Love the game! However I only really feel a monetary type of loss when I lose a crew member. It would be awesome if a few things were added to make crew seem more unique and valuable, and maybe add some additional tactics. So here are some ideas, just for the fun of it :D I dont know I'm just excited about the possiblities :geek:

An Option to create "Your" character: At the beginning you could choose a race and maybe a skill for your captain. Perhaps you lose the game if your captain dies or perhaps not. Races could still be limited by ships.

Traits: Crew members could start with randomized traits that made some more valuable than others. Most of the traits would be combination good and bad, but with some that are only good, only bad, or extremely good.

Normal Traits:
Intellectual: Trains at twice speed, but 10% less health.
Pyro: 5% Chance to start fires when on enemy ships and attacking. However a 1% chance to start fires on your own ship when attacking.
Death or Glory: Takes extra melee damage and deals extra melee damage.
Trigger Happy: Weapons charge 50% faster. Small chance of damaging the weapons system.
Old Dog: Starts with some skills, but cant learn any more.
Computer Person: Gives an extra power bar in the drone room.
Territorial: Fights with extra effectiveness on your ship. Cant beam to other ships.

Bad Traits:
Frail: 10% Less Health, Less combat damage
Clumsy: When moving through a room, has a 2% chance to break the system.
Sick: Gradually Loses max health as you progress until dead.
Pacifist: Cant deal combat damage or man weapons systems.
Red Shirt: (This one could actually be useful) Whenever an event kills or takes one or more of your crew, this guy is one of them.

Good Traits:
Handy: Repairs at 1.5X speed.
Traveler: Can give information similar to long-range scanners occasionally
Squad Leader: Gives a bonus to attack to all crew members in the room with him

Super Rare Traits:
"Gifted": Gives the same abilities as the slug race.
Personal Teleporter: Teleport as individual. 45 sec cooldown
Tinkerer: Gives an improvement to the room they are in as if it was upgraded. (Need a level 2 Med bay? Stick em there)
Shield Affinity: Gives an extra shield layer if in the shield room.
Diplomatic: Gives extra blue options sometimes, often resulting in more peaceful options and extra volunteers. Can't deal damage or man systems. Has a low chance of converting a crew member to your side if in the same room for a time.
The Legend: Enemy crew will run away quite often when facing them.

As you can see this would make for some interestingly overpowered as well as almost useless characters. Like a pyro rockman or a pacifist Mantis.

Some sort of very small skill tree or something for more special abilities. Perhaps give skilled people the ability to overcharge systems for a time, or they use their understanding of that system to circumvent the opponents.

And maybe, just maybe, some sort of off the ship encounters. What happens with that away team you send to the research station? How do your guys fight those giant spider monsters? I think it would give a nice break from the ship combat

Also, when their are bigger ships, Fighter pilots. Fighters are launched out, and must be retrieved before you jump again. They are sort of high risk high reward weapons where you are putting a crew member in an expensive, fragile ship with only a high dodge chance protecting it. But extra weapons are always nice.

Anyways, this was just for fun, tell me what your ideas are!
MajorCoolD

Re: Getting rid of Redshirts

Postby MajorCoolD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

I think you are right, the character creation or rather Crew Creation could use some more diversity, for example also a model for various hairstyles or rather color and races.
Would also be interessting if humans were not the only race where the gender influences the looks.

The best would still be if you'd have like some sort of real character creation indeed and be able to pick your own crew.
TrashMan

Postby TrashMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

Not a bad idea, but some of the traits dont' make sense or are poorly tough off..

Firstly, bonuses shouldnt' be too big. They are traits that add flavor and a bit of a bonus. Not deal brakers.

Intellectual: Trains at twice speed, but 10% less health. <--100% bonus? Too much.

Trigger Happy: Weapons charge 50% faster. Small chance of damaging the weapons system. <---50% bonus? Too much.

Old Dog: Starts with some skills, but cant learn any more. <--hm...maybe. Or maybe he has 50% skill learnign penalty

Territorial: Fights with extra effectiveness on your ship. Cant beam to other ships. <-- stupid limiation on a warship. Can't beam? Maybe reduced fighting effectiveness on enemy warships.

Sick: Gradually Loses max health as you progress until dead. <-- bad idea. Maybe have a 50% chance that any time you jump into a system, the crewmember can recieve a 20% HP penalty (lst for that system only). Change the trait name to "siclky"

Pacifist: Cant deal combat damage or man weapons systems. <--seriously? What is this guy doing a warship?
Fleshpie

Postby Fleshpie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Well yes, some of these bonuses are WAY too high looking at it. But maybe it could be like Diablo where you can get different stats for the same item. Maybe the firing bonus is from 2%-%10, and the damage chance is similar.

Also, the entire idea is that some of them are huge limitations, but add character to your crew as a result. A Pacifist isnt useless, I mean I never use my engis to fight. The sick trait, instead of losing max health, could just have a number of jumps until they die. This leads to sitiuations where you can sacrifice them heroically and not really lose much.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

I hate the mere thought of loosing a crewmember. My crew, their development and skills, contributes 90% to winning in the end. The remaining 10% is luck finding good weapons.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.