Can we talk about Shield drones?

General discussion about the game.
Twinge

Re: Can we talk about Shield drones?

Postby Twinge » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:06 pm

You can't, no - changing that number has no effect sadly. The actual cooldown depends on how many Zoltan Shield layers you already have: the first pop is around 8 seconds, but if you already have 4 layers that 5th one takes closer to 20 seconds.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Twinge wrote:You can't, no - changing that number has no effect sadly. The actual cooldown depends on how many Zoltan Shield layers you already have: the first pop is around 8 seconds, but if you already have 4 layers that 5th one takes closer to 20 seconds.

Oh. Well then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-08FPD6LA
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:46 am

Yeah, shield drones are pretty crap. You need two of them to be marginally effective and the protection they provide is intermittent at best. They are just too damn slow.
zaphod_

Postby zaphod_ » Fri May 01, 2015 3:08 pm

The only place I can see the Shield Overcharged bearing any use at all is if you have two of them, as well as a Zoltan Shield in the first place. But even then, having defense drones instead would be infinitely more effective.

At this point I just regard them as free scrap.
replicamerchant1

Postby replicamerchant1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello,
I really like it . I was in search of stuff like this. I really appreciate your effort. keep posting like this.

Thank you
Ana
DustArma

Postby DustArma » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:32 am

Playing with the layout A of the stealth cruiser I found a really good use for shield drones, on level 2/3 cloaking the shield drone has enough time for at least 2 zoltan shield points, and if your ship has a high enough evasion and shields this will, most times, let you survive unscathed until the cloaking cooldown is over.