What crew/equipment/weapon gives the most blue options?

General discussion about the game.
Jerjare

What crew/equipment/weapon gives the most blue options?

Postby Jerjare » Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Some things give more blue options than others. Humans have only one, zoltan only a few, some special shipboard augments have a few (rock plating) And so forth.

But what has the most? To some degree, choosing equipment is gambling on getting future blue options. Engi and ion weapon have many and are a good bet.
Levgre

Re: What crew/equipment/weapon gives the most blue options?

Postby Levgre » Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I think lots of different things give about an equal amount of blue options.

I do know as far as blue options for the cost, level 2 piloting is way up there. Especially if you visit lots of nebula nodes.
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I feel the teleporter has the best ROI for blue options. Then crew members of various races (slugs, engi, rockman)
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu May 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Engi crew alone give you quite a bit of blue options. Having sensors at level 2 also give you a few. These are probably the ones that give you highest numbers for blue options and you can't go wrong with having them.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 am

Levgre wrote:I think lots of different things give about an equal amount of blue options.

I do know as far as blue options for the cost, level 2 piloting is way up there. Especially if you visit lots of nebula nodes.

oooh... I never updated my piloting if there was anything else left to update since I always have the pilot sitting right there... if I have only one crew left then it will be the pilot that stays in that room always... and I thought the only benefit is if the pilot moves elsewhere, which I dont do... so I never updated piloting before the final boss and even there only if I had updated everything else already
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 am

Mendel wrote: and I thought the only benefit is if the pilot moves elsewhere, which I dont do... so I never updated piloting before the final boss and even there only if I had updated everything else already

If your piloting is damaged, your ship has 0% evasion (baring a cloak boosting it to a measly 60%). Therefore the best reason for improved piloting is to act as a damage shield for fire, bombs, etc. The blue options are pretty nice though. The first rank at 20 scrap is a gimme.
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

The only blue options I know of for upgraded piloting are to give you a chance to engage an enemy ship in nebulas. Good if you have a boarding ship or a ship with good weapons.

Teleporter gives more chances to get extra crew.

There are some encounters that have a lot of different blue options; the one where they ask to help to disable their defense system has a blue option for Engi, Ion weapon, and cloaking.

From what I've seen, Engi and Rock have the most different number of blue options.
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Fri May 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Jerjare wrote:The only blue options I know of for upgraded piloting are to give you a chance to engage an enemy ship in nebulas.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Lanius_Vessel ... bris_Field

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Powered-Down_Lanius_Vessel

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_Storm_ ... ated_Ships

There may be more, that's just what I drug up.
stvip

Postby stvip » Fri May 09, 2014 6:36 pm

The Plasma Storm Incapacitated Ship event is alone worth a Piloting upgrade.
Upgraded Sensors have a new common Blue Option event in AE. On the other hand, the usual benefit from the upgrade can now be attained by merely manning the system.
Having the requisite crew and hardware can make visiting Green Sectors lucrative.
I gave them name 'Warmest Colour' to Zoltan C, though with this in mind, it can also befit the Fed A.
papaHav

Postby papaHav » Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 am

Without doing any kind of scientific data analysis... (particularly which are your personal most visited sectors) speaking from experience the most blue options come from:

1. Long range scanner / Level 3 scanner (interchangeable)
2. Level2 teleporter (very high chance of more crew, creating a blue snowball)
3. Level2 medbay
4. Slug crew
5. Engi crew
6. Rock crew
7. Level 2 scanner (made redundant by 1.)
8. Hacking (various levels can scale with reward, often with level 1 hacking giving nothing)
9. Assorted drone types
10.... anything outside of this either usually a bad blue option (cloaking) or gives possibly only 1 or 2 good blue options e.g. piloting, breach missile, bio beam, other crew, med-bot dispersal.

The dream is a full house 1,2,3,4,5,6 + scrap recovery arm in the first sector
Last edited by papaHav on Thu May 22, 2014 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.