adv ftl navigation

General discussion about the game.
tempthomas

adv ftl navigation

Postby tempthomas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 am

it says it will let me visit previosly beacons, but i can already do that. dont understand
5thHorseman

Re: adv ftl navigation

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:36 am

It allows you to jump DIRECTLY to any beacon you've been to in that sector. So you can make 5 jumps to beacons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, then jump back to beacon 1 from beacon 5.

It's still pretty useless, though MAYBE slightly more useful now that there are more dead ends in the star map.

But not really. I think it's more useful as the scrap you get for trading it in.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:18 am

You can jump back to a Repair Beacon in the Last Stand, but that is kinda situational. If the aug prevented the Rebels from advancing, then maybe it would have been better, but as is, it's not much. Still, worth some scrap at least.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Jai

Postby Jai » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

I have tried to find a use for this augment and it is simply useless. Any player with half-decent skill knows to take a path that re-visits as few beacons as possible, which is zero in the vast majority of cases. Combine this with the fact that the player has very little real information about what each beacon contains, even with long-range scanners.

The result is that generally, one beacon is as good as any other, making this augment irrelevant. In the cases where you would want to use this augment, such as hitting a quest that is far from the exit, the 'wasted' jump makes it not worth it - almost no quest is worth wasting a jump, and this aug shouldn't exist just for the rare case of a worthwhile quest, in an odd location, and the player happens to have this augment.

What this aug should do is let you jump to any beacon you 'could' have jumped to in the past. It's still of limited value, because like I said, one beacon is as good as another, but that would allow the player to go off and get to that quest or store that is obnoxiously up in the corner with no way out without having to sacrifice jumps.
Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:51 pm

While the primary use of the augment is usually useless (don't want to revisit beacons), it does get a blue option for ships wanting to be led to a destination that guarantees a decent reward without a fight, as well as saving you the beacon where the quest would have been placed. So, while I wouldn't ever purchase it, I also wouldn't sell it if I got it free unless it would let me get good equipment/upgrades, or I'm low on augment space.