Ranking the C ships

General discussion about the game.
Nukeknockout

Re: Ranking the C ships

Postby Nukeknockout » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Merudo wrote:8. Stealth C.
No shield, no cloak, and a silly Shield+ drone that is basically the equivalent of Shield 1 except it recharges much slower, can't be upgraded, can be destroyed, takes 1 drone part per use, and competes for power with the Anti-Drone drone. Yeah, it is terrible. Laser Charge is very good (it's a more flexible Dual Laser) but just can't do enough by itself, and Mini-beam has negligible effects. This ship has the worse defense in the game, and very mediocre offense.

Stealth C was the second C type I unlocked, after Federation C. Don't get me wrong, this ship has some pretty serious problems - Lack of both shields and cloak creates a warship with very low defenses. The layout, while easy to vent, is extremely constricting and creates numerous problems when fighting boarders or spreading your crew out. Playing this ship is frantically fighting for enough scrap to bolt on shields, a cloak, and enough firepower to take on the flagship.

But. The upgraded laser charger is strictly superior to the Dual Laser, and autofiring it at a damaged shield or weapon will forever prohibit repair assuming consistent hits. The Mini Beam, while it isn't a world-beater, is capable of 4-damage sweeps for its 1 power because it's about the same length as a Glaive beam. The Shield+ Drone is not at all bad - it takes about ten seconds to spawn a point for a shield, a shield which can stop missiles, a fact that is very useful given the AI prefers to keep Leto and Artemis launchers operational over Basic Lasers when their weapons are damaged. The ship starts with both a Slug and a Rockman, which is tantamount to saying "Have a bunch of blue options, some resistance to Mind Control, bonuses in Nebulae, a good start to a boarding crew/a tough pilot, and take a Human to quickly learn whatever needs to be learned".

Tactics for this ship in the first sector boil down to "Pause at the beginning of the fight, deploy shield drone, charge weapons and take out their guns or die, while juggling power between the Shield and Anti-Combat drones if the opponent deploys an attack drone" which you'll notice is basically the same tactics as the Stealth A and Stealth B plus the ability to do something absolute about missiles and attack drones.

I took this ship to the flagship, and then lost because I choked under pressure, but this ship is definitely perfectly capable and it isn't a horrible ship (I contend it may be superior to Stealth B, but possibly harder to play) - you need to baby it some, but isn't that true for every ship in this game?

Federation C, however, is terrible.
GDK

Postby GDK » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:41 pm

Shield drone is like so awesome.
Ok stealth C loses cloaking because of it. But such a drone is awesome.
Combined with cloaking it would be so broken.
Stealth C is just about getting that cloak and then you can be set (you also have to find weapon cause you're not getting around 3 bars of shield with initial setup).
It's so much better than Stealth B it's not even funny.
Federation C may be bad, but the A and B are broken beyond repair now that they can have cloaking (yeah seriously you take out the flagship in 3 volleys of artilery beam it's too crazy).
Merudo

Postby Merudo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 am

Nukeknockout, I do agree with your points somewhat, and in fact I debated putting the Stealth C ahead of the Federation C.

One thing though, is that the Glaive has a much better length (about 2.5 titles) than the Mini-Beam (about 1.5 tiles).

Also, in my experience the Shield+ Drone just can't keep up with the fire power, even in Sector 1. Most other ships can manage Sector 1 by making upgrading their shields a top priority, but the Stealth C doesn't have that option. It also doesn't have any upgradable tricks (Cloak, Hacking, Boarding, etc) to compensate.

The only way I see Stealth C doing any good, is if you get very lucky and find a shop with Cloak right after you hit the 125 scrap mark. Once you get Cloak, you should be good - the Shield+ will keep recharging the Shield while cloaked, making it much more effective.

I guess this does make the Stealth C superior to the Federation C, as I really don't see any way to make the Federation C viable.
Ragwortshire

Postby Ragwortshire » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Federation C is certainly viable; it's the third ship I managed to beat Hard mode with (after Kestrel B and C)! I used the following strategy:

Battle: Swarm the enemy crew until they are all dead. Ignore the cloning XP penalty; your crew can always get XP later! Beam every single crew member over and try to get maximum damage out of the Zoltans. I beamed Mantis/Zoltan over first and then Human/Zoltan. Against AI ships, hit the weapons with clones until the ship is destroyed. (you can also charge the Flak cannon if you like). Against Zoltans, use the Flak to take out the shield (or run if you will take too much damage).

Upgrades:
1) Get level 4 Shields (i.e. 2 layers); this goes faster than normal since you're boarding.
2) Get level 3 Clone Bay - so that an Artemis hit in the Clone bay is no longer instant GG.
3) Get level 3 Engines (cheap and reduces damage).
4) Get level 2 Teleport.
Don't buy any Reactor power; you don't need it! You only need enough to run the Shields, Teleport and Engines/Clonebay (put 1 power in each, extra power in Engines when being shot at and Clonebay otherwise).
6) Save up and search the stores for good stuff.

You will take more damage than normal early on, but you can use the extra scrap you get should compensate for this especially once you have level 4 Shields. Hacking or Cloaking will make the ship much more durable. Reconstructive Teleport is godmode if you find it, and Zoltan Shield Bypass is ridiculous as well. If you find a Beam Weapon (I didn't), you can upgrade the Flak Artillery and disable several systems at once every 20 seconds (of course you have to be careful not to destroy the enemy if they're non-AI). If you find Bombs, boarding becomes even more devastating. In the end I didn't upgrade the Flak until just before the boss, but that was due to what I found rather than it being inherently weak.

Basically this ship combines the early-game scrap advantage of a boarding ship with the Federation Cruisers' guarantee that you can always pierce any amount of shields given enough time. To compensate you are vulnerable early-game and don't have any nice starting weapons (like the BL2, dual lasers etc.). This seems pretty fair to me!
Merudo

Postby Merudo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:21 am

Ragwortshire wrote:Battle: Swarm the enemy crew until they are all dead. Ignore the cloning XP penalty; your crew can always get XP later! Beam every single crew member over and try to get maximum damage out of the Zoltans.

Not sure what you mean by "swarming". Using Teleport 1, by the the you can board again, your boarding party is usually either dead or about to die. Also using zoltans to board means your ship will be deprived of its energy

Moreover, zoltans are the second worse fighter after engi, and humans aren't great either. Facing Rockmen/Mantis ships is going to be very, very painful.

If you beam every single crew member, your ship is going to be unmanned and making repairs to critical system such as Shield or Cloning Bay will be impossible.

The only way I can see this situation being manageable is if you get lucky and get a 1-2 free crews from events early on. Then you can use the extra crew to repairs all the damage you'll get from missiles - you have no way to disable weapons so you'll have to try and "rush" to kill everyone on board with your paltry crew of 2 zoltans, 1 human and 1 mantis.

Ragwortshire wrote:Upgrades:
1) Get level 4 Shields (i.e. 2 layers); this goes faster than normal since you're boarding.
2) Get level 3 Clone Bay - so that an Artemis hit in the Clone bay is no longer instant GG.
4) Get level 2 Teleport.

This implies you turn off the Flak gun. Meaning you use the Federation C as 100% boarding early on, without ANY kind of backup, with no defense as well, and with a lackluster boarding party. I'm sorry to say but I think all boarding ships - including the Stormwalker - have a better pre-game than the Federation C.

At least you can shut down the enemy's medbay, clonebay and weapon system with the Stormwalker!
Last edited by Merudo on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragwortshire

Postby Ragwortshire » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Merudo wrote:Not sure what you mean by "swarming". Using Teleport 1, by the the you can board again, your boarding party is usually either dead or about to die.

That's not the case. Most early-game ships have 3 crew, and will only send 2 to fight your boarding party. They will lose to your Mantis + Zoltan, and the last guy will come to fight just as your other 2 crew are beaming over.

Also using zoltans to board means your ships will be deprived of its energy.

That's also not the case. The Zoltan boarder will help to power the Teleport!

Moreover, zoltans are the second worse fighter after engi, and humans aren't great either. Facing Rockmen/Mantis ships is going to be very, very painful.

Zoltans are awesome because they explode. With a little micro you will deal 70 damage in hand-to-hand and another 30 with the explosion (try to hit 2 guys!). Your Mantis will deal 105 damage in the same time, so that's enough to kill two non-Rock/Crystal enemy fighters and your Mantis will still be on 30 health.
I don't think I went to a Rock sector, but Mantis are easy to kill because they usually only have 1 Mantis + 1 Engi after boarding your ship (of course you don't care about Oxygen on your ship, so you can vent literally the whole thing if you want...).

If you beam every single crew member, your ship is going to be unmanned and making repairs to critical system such as Shield or Cloning Bay will be impossible.

Right, you want to win fast and make repairs later. Of course there are times when you can't send the last 2 crew, but usually you can send them safely.

Ragwortshire wrote:Upgrades:
4) Get level 2 Teleport.

This implies you turn off the Flak gun. Meaning you use the Federation C as 100% boarding early on, without ANY kind of backup.

Precisely. The Flak is there as insurance for the late-game and to help with stalemates (where the enemy has a Clonebay and scary crew, but its weapons can't break your shield) and AI/Zoltans.

I'm sorry to say but I think all boarding ships - including the Stormwalker - have a better pre-game than the Federation C.

I agree! Most ships that start with a teleporter (including the Stormwalker) are tremendously powerful!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Ragwortshire wrote:Zoltans are awesome because they explode. With a little micro you will deal 70 damage in hand-to-hand and another 30 with the explosion (try to hit 2 guys!)

Unless the enemy has upgraded doors, my Zoltans run into an adjoining 2x2 room when they're down to about 10 health. That's 30 damage to up to 4 guys. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
r543

Postby r543 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:49 am

Ok, I've played a bit with some of the C layouts now and here are my new thoughts:

Kestrel C(unlocked)

I haven't played as this ship yet, but I like the design of it(we got a rebel colored kestrel and now a pirate one :D

).

Layout looks nice, exept for the empty space in the middle of the ship.(It's almost like Kestrel A).

Lanius is nice because you can remove the air from the rooms where the boarders are in and send the lanius to fight them

for extra damage.

Ion Stunner is ok, it's a Ion Blast 1 with 2 seconds longer charge and extra stun, which is nice for boarding because

even if the shields are up, everyone in the shield room will get stunned.

Dual Lasers are ok, they are a good weapon, but I would've liked Burst Laser MK2 more(I can see why it isn't here) so

you have at least one good weapon for the end game ready. Dual Lasers can be a nice support but you want to get more

lasers.

Engi C(didn't unlock it, I was 2 jumps away from reaching the eight sector with the vortex)

Interesting Room Layout with systems, but it could be very weak to beams because of that.
Not many places to remove the O2, but that's probably ok because engis remove fire faster.

Lanius is nice against boarders and can help. 2 Engi's are great.

Dual Lasers are nice, at least this ship has some good starting weapons other than the drone(type A had only a drone and

a great Ion Blast MK2, type B had that slow Heavy Ion and Heavy Laser). Ion weapons are a bit missing here, but it's

still nice.
Hacking works well too because you can remove the shields of a enemy for your drone to hit.
I'm not a big fan of Beam Drones, but it probably deals more DPS than the Laser counterparts.

Defense Scrambler is the biggest win here. Anti Combat Drones destroyed the Drone use on Drone based ships. This is the

reason why I'll use this instead of the A ship in advanced edition.

Federation C(Unlocked)
I did one run with this and from what I've seen it doesn't work at all. Flak takes ages to charge, Mantis and Human

aren't that great for boarding, Zoltans might be nice for the damage, but it doesn't work.

Ok, the ship Layout isn't that much different than the other Federation Ships, it's a bit like the Type A but with more

random holes. You can remove the air very well here, there are doors almost everywhere exept for the middle.

Flak Gun is ok, not sure if it ignores shields like the beam does.

Other than that the ship doesn't have any other weapons, but a teleporter, so this was made for boarding.

You start with a Mantis(which is probably what I should use for boarding), 2 Zoltans(which now blow up on death, like

their green cube friends) and 1 Human.
I'm guessing that this ship was made to tell you about the new Zoltan Gimmick, you get a level 2 Clone Bay for that, but

this doesn't make leveling any better.

Emergency Respirators are ok, but why is this here and not on a Lanius Ship ? Backup DNA or something that doesn't make

your crew loose Skill on cloning would probably be better. It's there for AI ships.

I'm going to try what Ragwortshire said, that looks like it could work. Maybe we need to learn on how to play the ships.

Mantis C(not unlocked yet, getting bad luck with Mantis B :( )

Looks like a interesting ship, the color is a bit strange but very nice.
This ship has doors everywhere, nice against boarders and fire.

I get the idea of the ship, it's a mix of A and B, taking the great weapons and crew but keeping the big teleporter and

boarding from B.

The wiki doesn't have the data about the stun bomb up and I only used it once. As far as I remember, it does 1 Ion

Damage, but stuns the crew for a longer amount of time. I don't know if it stuns your own crew.
Lock Bomb is great for keeping the enemy in the room with the lanius, but what is this crystal weapon searching here ?

Getting the archievement for that would be nice but this isn't the crystal cruiser. An other question would be on why

this has a level 2 clone bay ? Did they think that the mantis and lanius can't work together(because of the air), so

they will probably both take some extra damage, so the cloning is needed to keep the enemy ship attacked ?
I don't know but it's nice.

Crew is ok.
The Mantis is there for boarding, so is the Lanius. The engi is there, like the ship A for fixing stuff and keeping the

ship manned. The problem here is that the ship wants to show you 2 boarding types, Lanius and Mantis. You only start out

with one of the crew and getting Lanius can be difficult. They also don't mix that well because your mantis needs air.

Zoltan C(Unlocked)
Gimmicky Ship.

This Ship starts out with only 2 power and needs extra scrap for the next 3 power upgrades(30 instead of 20), a easy way

to bypass this is to accept the trade on the random events that upgrade the reactor power by 1.
You get 4 Zoltan Crew, which is 1 more than the default, an other nice bonus. To use this ship you need to use the

Backup Battery, which is already at level 2 and doesn't use any power !. Wait for your Charge Ion to Charge up, shoot,

get the battery active and start the drone.

There isn't a good way to remove the O2 from the shields(engines or the clone bay. A big room(which is probably used for

cloak) is in the middle of the ship, which can split up the ship if you get hacked there(subsystems are down there,

systems are up).

All Zoltan Ships Start out with a beam weapon, this one starts with a beam drone instead. It's a lot like the Engi A,

exept getting an other weapon working here won't be easy.
Charge Ion isn't that bad, but not that good either, it only does 1 ion damage and charging it up takes some time.
The Beam Drone is nice, I got a second one on my run and that was very good. The only problem are the anti combat

drones, which destroy this ship, so maybe it would've been way better if this had the beam 2.

This ship might not look very strong but I had a good run with it, might be one of the better(good chance to win) ships.

Slug C(not unlocked yet)

Slugs were always mean, and mind control+hacking are very fitting for this ship.(I'm guessing that one ship would've

gotten the mind control and one the hacking if we got multiple ships, but they had to put both into one). This makes

this ship interesting because you can only get one system from the old ones(teleport, cloak OR drones), Teleport works

well with hacking and mind control, but cloak is needed to evade missiles and for the flagship... then again, drones

could be very nice...

It's a bit difficult on what you want to get because you can't remove systems.
This ship's door layout are good, exept for the missing doors on the right bottom corner, it isn't symmetrical because

of that.
3 Slugs are nice, not that much but more than layout A.
Stronger Doors are a part of every slug ship, which makes them good against boarders.

Chain Laser is ok, I don't like the high charge time on the first few shots, nothing that will be useful for too long,

but useful as a support weapon later on.

Rock C(not unlocked yet, failed at sector 7 with type B)

This ship looks interesting, modern but with that crystal design.

2 Rocks are good and 1 Crystal is epic, now you can finally get the Crystal Cruiser with less trouble(exept that you

still need to unlock layout B, which needs 2 archievements, and one of the 3 is finding the crystal sector).

Not many doors to remov the air, only some on the front and on the back. Lots of holes, looks almost like this ship is

made out of 2 parts connected.

Swarm is a very good weapon. Charge time is ok, 1 damage for a missile might be a bit bad, but getting 3 for one shot is

nice and doesn't let you run out of missiles that fast. The area of effect isn't that good of a idea because it makes

this weapon miss sometimes or hit other rooms that you didn't want to.
Crystal Heavy Laser is like the heavy pierce laser from Rock B, so it's ok but you need to get a alternate weapon if you

want to complete the game with it.

Looks like a good ship with surprisingly small room layout.

Stealth C(unlocked)

Stealth C is.. strange to play as.
Instead of a cloak or shields you start with nothing. the Shield overcharger and the anti combat drone are going to help

you to play with this ship.

Room layout is a bit strange and has holes in the middle of it like all AE ships. If it didn't have the hole in the

middle, then it wouldn't have that many doors but with that it has enough.

1 Human, 1 Rock and 1 Slug are nice, but nothing too special.

Charge Laser is a edited version with shorter cooldown and only 1 power use. This makes it a nice replacement for the

dual lasers because you can shoot it when you want. The only disadvantage is the 1.5 seconds longer charge time.

Mini Beam isn't that great but ok, nothing special about it.

Drones are a bit special here. You have 3 Drone Slots instead of 2 and one of them is a modified drone.
Shield Overcharger is a nice Drone, but it wasn't made for starting, it's more a endgame drone for extra shields, adding

a extra layer every 8 seconds and only for that beacon, but here it doesn't work too well.

At first I thought that you had to activate it in battle, which somewhat works. Then I tested activating it before

battle and then jumping there(so you have enough power for the anti combat), but that doesn't work.
After some runs I finally understand how to use it:
You need to know the enemy weapon charge times and time the drones.(like you time the cloak) The shield works like a

zoltan shield, so you need to avoid ion because it doubles the ion damage on the shield. This Drone is modified to only

use 2 instead of 3 power, nice for this ship and useful for endgame if you get there.

Anti Combat Drone is very good because that was one of the problems on the other stealh ships. The problem is that you

only start out with 2 drone power, so you can have anti combat or shield but not both.

Long Ranged Scanners are like the ones on every stealth ship, nothing special.

Most of the C ships look like very good new ships, others are a bit strange to play, maybe we need to learn on how to play them ?(Does this mean that the vortex has a use ?)
OC2142

Postby OC2142 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Playing with the C's, I have to say the Stealth C is awful with no shields or cloak (on a 'stealth' cruiser?!) an mediocre weapons. I was hoping it would be just as good, if not better than the Stealth B (I feel as if I'm in the distinct minority on the Stealth B. It's my favorite ship.). Instead it's a pile of garbage with no way to protect itself or hit first. The Fed C is little more than a joke, and I would have much preferred it with the standard artillery beam. The Kestrel C is neutral for me, the Engi C takes a lot of getting used to but it's fun, and the Slug C could be better, but it's not a complete disaster. I haven't unlocked the Zoltan C or the Rock C yet, and I'm (depending on what happens in Sector 7) about to unlock the Mantis C.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 pm

The way I see things, Hard is for dedicated boarding ships. If the ship hasn't got Lanius, Mantis swarms or Crystals, it's a gimmick.

Kestrel C - No opinion on this one. Haven't used it probably because it's not as fun as the Red-Tail.

Engi C - Fun, but again gimmicky. 4000+ victory on Normal I guess...

Federation C - Not a bad ship. Won a game on Normal with 5000+ points. But because it hasn't got good boarding crew at first, it's a gimmick and not for Hard Mode

Zoltan C - Never a big fan of the Zoltan ships. This one takes the cake. I don't like how they've done it, the reactor sucks and Beam Drone is the only offensive weapon. The ion charger misses a lot on Normal and Hard, so it gives the enemy more time to kill you. Worst ship in my opinion. The very worst!

Stealth C - Like all Stealth Ships, they're gimmicks and not for Hard Mode. Won with the DA-SR2 on Normal through luck and perseverance but I don't think Simo-H will ever see Hard. Stealth ships are just magic tricks.

Rock C- Not bad but I can never get to the hidden sector in this one. Haven't finished on anything higher than Easy so... definitely not a ship for Hard Mode

Slug C - Pretty decent actually. Although with the 3 system limit and Phase 3 of the Flagship's BS Barrage, my strategy has to include cloaking. Tried it on Hard... died on Sector 5. So I guess it's a gimmicky ship as I can't use the teleporter.

Mantis C - Tried it. Not a bad boarding ship. Includes both Mantis swarm strategies and Lanius but I still prefer the Mantis B.