Crew Teleporter.

General discussion about the game.
Sinriel

Crew Teleporter.

Postby Sinriel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm

I always avoided it, since I thought it's too dangerous; but I realized I don't know much about it.

Does it allow you to send your crew members to board on their ship, or it sends some attackers *other* than your crew? Because if it sends crew (and it's not like it's easy to acquire), isn't it too dangerous to send them on a ship, where enemies can heal and you risk loosing valuable assets?

What is their main mission there, anyway? Disabling ship's systems?

If you kill all their crew and don't destroy the ship, does it increase chances of getting better loot?

I am just started sector 4, with Engi Cruiser with Cloak and 5 crew members. I have 150 scrap to spend, so I am wondering if I need it.

If enemies boarding my ship die all the time, what happens with my crew? Since I do not know the odds, not sure if I want to take that risk.

So all help and suggestions, tips and insight - much appreciated.

p.s. Also, found Automated re-loader in this store, which I am gonna get 100%! Seeing it for the first time, sounds like an awesome, awesome thing for just 40 scrap. Combined with some fast firing weapons, it's gonna rock.
Litestrider

Re: Crew Teleporter.

Postby Litestrider » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

You've basically got it. You activate the teleporter, it beams your crew members to the enemy ship, they kill enemy crew members and/or systems. You pull them back at the brink of death so they can recoup in the med bay and do it all again.

The med bay is a definite concern, probably the largest. I'm sure you've noticed that the best tactic is to hide your crew in the med bay so they're healed as they fight. Ion weapons, missiles, fire weapons, and anything else that can shut down the med bay are very helpful when you're boarding. It's pretty easy to slam their med bay, then just as they get a repair team in, teleport your boys in to wreck up the joint, since the fighting's in the med bay they can't repair and use it!

If you manage to kill the entire enemy crew, you get much better rewards, and I think there's even a chance to spawn an extra bonus reward-event, I'm not sure though.

Do be careful of autofire weapons though, especially that darn Federation Cruiser weapon. You can and will kill your own crew while they're out there, and if you accidentally blow up the enemy ship or let it warp away, poof! kiss your boarding team goodbye.
Sinriel

Postby Sinriel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Cool, did not know you can teleport them back - that's a U-turn in my thinking. :)

So, it's basically safe - when they are low on health, just teleport them back? Is there a cooldown?

P.S. Edit: I am still in that store, waiting for answers so I can take a course of action. :-) But it seems that teleporter is almost a must, am I right?
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Boarding parties never work for me. My guys always end up fighting the enemy crew. If you aren't careful, you might end up losing them. My crew can never take out a subsystem because there's never enough time. I'd rather keep them on my ship so they can help out with the usual duties.

Maybe it would've been more useful if there would've been buffs for boarding parties. Like being able to use weapon/armor upgrades. Or send in more men. Or having a tactical operations center manned on your ship. Stuff like that.

And yes, there's a cooldown on the teleporter, which is usually what kills my guys.
Last edited by BlackAlpha on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinriel

Postby Sinriel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Awww, crap, this is what makes this game fucked up sometimes. A perfect run for me and this is a big decision, which obviously could ruin it completely.
Litestrider

Postby Litestrider » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Sinriel wrote:Cool, did not know you can teleport them back - that's a U-turn in my thinking. :)

So, it's basically safe - when they are low on health, just teleport them back? Is there a cooldown?

P.S. Edit: I am still in that store, waiting for answers so I can take a course of action. :-) But it seems that teleporter is almost a must, am I right?

I wouldn't say it's a must, but it's a very viable offense if you plan around it. Mantes and rocks can make it devastating. It can also net you huge amounts of scrap if you're good at it.

There is a cooldown between teleports, the upgrades reduce it. Level 1 is pretty dangerous, level 3 is reasonably safe unless you're sending Zoltans to fight Mantes or something.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm

If your crew are dying, but the teleport isn't recharged yet, you can send them running from room to room in the enemy ship until the teleport is back up. Just make sure they're standing still before clicking it, you can't teleport moving crew.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Its perfectly safe when you have a healing burst weapon. You target the room your crew is in and it teleports a healing bomb that heals your people. It makes boarding too easy. There are still dangers. If you forget to watch the enemy ship HP, you could destroy the ship with your people on board. Or you could jump away without them, but there is a warning before it does it. And the biggest risk is having the enemy ship jump away with your guys on it. If there is any indication the enemy ship wants to jump away, get your guys back asap and resort to killing them with ship weapons.
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:30 pm

To be successful at teleporting you need to have at least teleporter level 2 (and sensors level 2 or 3), and Mantis or Rockmen (Humans are fine but they need to escape a bit).

Take out their med bay FIRST before the shields and then send them into the enemies medbay. If they have a lot of crew teleport into a room with one space for two crew.

Make sure you can get through their doors quickly.

If using beam weapons.. err. don't when your crew is in their or they'll be lost with the enemy vessel. Done this too many times myself.

If the enemy has a teleport and teleports to your vessel kill their teleporter first with a missile or small bomb so their crew can not go back to their vessel and when you board their vessel you'll have two less to fight.

I hope this helps.

[Spoiler highlight to see.]
P.S. Teleports are excellent for stopping weapons fire from the end boss.
[End of Spoiler]
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Boarding parties are okay, but the purpose of boarding parties is not* to run amok on the enemy ship, smashing subsystems. It takes forever for them to smash a system.

Boarding parties exist to kill the enemy crew so you can loot their ship for more goodies than you would have gotten by destroying it. They're your very own inglourious basterds, only they're not in the killin' Nazi business, they're in the killin' every-friggin-moron-who-gets-in-your-way business. And cousin, business is boomin'!

Of course, not every race is made equal for boarding actions. You want two Mantises, plain and simple. Mantises are the best boarders, why?

1: They move 20% faster. That lets them run away more easily, or chase fleeing enemies.
2: They deal 150% damage. If a Mantis and anyone who is not a rockman fight it out one-on-one, without a medbay interfering in the fight, the Mantis wins, pure and simple. The Mantis will tend to win against the Rockman, even, though it's not entirely a sure thing without the Mantis having been skilled up. If the Mantis is gold-skilled hand-to-hand, however, he's dealing 170-180% of normal damage, depending on how they factor in stacking multipliers. (150 x 1.2 = 180%, while if it just adds the +20% from being godlike in hand-to-hand to the +50% from being a Mantis, it would only be 170%. It's still a lot, though.)

Now, Mantises are the king of the heap, there's no question about it. The other races aren't useless, though. At least, not all of them.

Rockmen are good tanks, due to having 50% more health than anyone else. But because they're so slow, they're practically useless if they have to move. They do not, however, take damage from fire, so if you set an enemy room on fire, teleport a few rockmen in to do horrible things to the damage-control team who tries to fix it. They're still best used to repel boarders on your own ship, though; and pulling double duty as an alternative to venting the atmosphere for fire suppression. For this reason, a lot of good boarding parties will consist of a Mantis and a Rockman.

Crystalmen are wildcards. They have less health than rockmen, but move slightly faster. A Mantis and a Crystalman, one-on-one, the Mantis wins every time. However, they have a special ability, Lockdown, that lets them spew shards of crystal on the doors of the room they're in to lock it down. In your own ship, this can be used if, say, boarders are trying to beat down the door to get out of a room they're in; crystalize the door to the room they're trying to get into, and they suffocate. On a boarding party, you can use this to lock the enemies in with a pissed-off Crystalman and a Mantis and let the fun and games begin. No running away to medbay for you! So if you can get one, a crystalman quite adequately replaces a rockman on the boarding party.

Humans and Slugs are identical in combat. Which is weird, but true; despite basically being Hutts, the Slugs can outrun crystalmen and rockmen. They are categorically worse than a Mantis or a Crystalman (due to not having a cool ability), and most likely worse than a rockman, since their speed won't really matter in a fight. They can still hold their own, though, and if you have a medbay but the enemy doesn't have a medbay (whether or not they originally had a medbay doesn't matter; you can always frag it to take it away from them,) you can send your boarders over, beat the other guys up, beam them back and run them back to your medbay for a fast heal to full, run them back to the teleporter and send them in for Round 2! (FIGHT!)

The other races, however? Don't even bother with them. Engi are crippled, they deal half damage; never let them fight the enemy unless you're desperately attempting to repel a boarding action and they're the only ones available. They should never go on a boarding mission, not until the devs give them like, 500% damage to systems, to make them worthwhile sabotuers.

Zoltan are crippled and physically puny. They do full damage, but they only have 70% health. The only thing a Zoltan can beat one-on-one is an Engi. However! If the enemy teleports into a room on your ship and there's room for more crew in the room than there are enemies in that room, as long as you can send in other, mightier crew to tank them, you may as well send the Zoltan in to deal damage and gun them down. Just mind that he doesn't start taking damage.

Oh, and this shouldn't need to be said, but it's the facts: don't even bother trying to board a robot vessel to smash up its systems. There's no air over there, and as no race is currently immune to suffocation damage (seems weird that they don't have space-suits on a space ship,) your crew members will be dead or retreating to your medbay long before they do any meaningful damage to the robot ship.

*Except on the last boss, which still has a life support system, but you can wipe out all the crew in the main hold in order to send your boarding party to wreck the shield generator/cockpit/engines. Just be careful it doesn't warp out without your men: THEIR crew will survive, yours won't!
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.