Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
The Captain

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby The Captain » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Yes, but powered Shields get zapped for a longer time than unpowered Shields/other system. So it is worth it to depower Shields (just remember to move any Zoltans, too).

Unless you're worried about crew still being cloned getting zapped.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 pm

The Captain wrote:Yes, but powered Shields get zapped for a longer time than unpowered Shields/other system. So it is worth it to depower Shields (just remember to move any Zoltans, too).

If you have one Zoltan, move them, but if you have two, keep them there. The shields won't go above 1 layer (one layer is good if the enemy has brought beams into play), but at least the pulsar won't remove it AND only one other system gets zapped rather than say both Weapons and Engines.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Keeping 2 zoltans in shields when you're safe at a pulsar is a terrible idea unless you've only got one shield anyway.
Just get them out of there, go make a cup of coffee, and when you get back everything should be ready to go, possibly after a 10 second wait or so.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 am

5thHorseman wrote:Keeping 2 zoltans in shields when you're safe at a pulsar is a terrible idea unless you've only got one shield anyway.
Just get them out of there, go make a cup of coffee, and when you get back everything should be ready to go, possibly after a 10 second wait or so.

10 sec?! Damn, talk about your instant coffee ...
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 pm

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:Keeping 2 zoltans in shields when you're safe at a pulsar is a terrible idea unless you've only got one shield anyway.

10 sec?! Damn, talk about your instant coffee ...

No, those are two separate waits.

Remove the Zoltans
Make coffee.
Return with coffee.
Put the Zoltans back.
Wait 10 seconds.
Jump to next beacon.

Instant coffee. Were I a Mantis and you an Zoltan, there would be green glowy bits on every wall of this forum.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Shields were already fully depowered, but kept getting zapped. Coulda probably just waited it out, RNG has to show mercy sometime, but eventually I just jumped. Again, thinking "How bad can it be?" is probably not the best move in FTL...
:roll:

Edit: And also: instant coffee is the devil's work. Then again, I suppose it's why the Mantis are so angry all the time... I think the Engi should share their awesome custom espresso makers.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Dirka wrote:Edit: And also: instant coffee is the devil's work. Then again, I suppose it's why the Mantis are so angry all the time... I think the Engi should share their awesome custom espresso makers.

Sure, if you like drinking nanites out of a cup. Those metal chunks will cut your throat
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu May 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Uuh, nanites should, by definition, way too small to cut anything, except maybe protein molecules.

Besides, what else would you drink? Crystal stuff will cut you, Rockmen coffee melts your gut, Slugs are chugging pumpkin spice soy lattes, Zoltan brew will give you cancer and the evil rebels are setting up Starbuck's franchises all over the place. Nanite espresso it is, then.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri May 15, 2015 1:40 am

Zoltan brew - a true energy drink.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 15, 2015 9:58 am

Zoltan coffee will give you a healthy glow to warm you up in the morning.

Ok, so maybe the Engi brew won't cut your throat (I confused it with the Lanius coffee. That'll cut you right up! If it doesn't burn your throat, because it's both solid and molten metal).

There's also the Ghosts. Although I think their coffee hasn't got any tangible benefits.