What about CO-OP, Multiplayer or MMO?

General discussion about the game.
R4V3-0N

Re: What about CO-OP, Multiplayer or MMO?

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 am

FTL co-op will not be fun... at LEAST. if it will keep the same FTL style.
It would be 2 ships playing through the game with the same star map, but will not take on the same beacons or enemies. but even then. if you just go into a flavour text beacon like "this is only a connecter beacon to the next" or what have you, the player is forced to wait till the other guy may go through his fight which can take some time. This will save quite a bit of features like balance, weapons, and pausing, etc.

Also the issue is what advantage can that happen besides both ships going to an empty beacon to exchange some weapons, cargo, etc. scrap, repairs. (most likely by 'empty' it will be one a guy cleared all ready or 'waited')
You also remove the modding capabilities.

If they change the game into a different style.

for an example... An RTS / RTT or TBS / TBT. but rooms will be changed into sections of a ship and hard points, for where augments, systems, sub-systems etc will go and have limited control on where you aim. (Similar to MechWarrior Tactics). Simular how some older franchises did branch offs. This "Can" work, but won't be a similar experience.

Another spring off can be a FPS (Only name I can think of can be wrong) like something like Star Citizen or Freelancer. Again it won't be the same experience and weapons may need better fire rates unless it is easier to aim at a ship or something.

Besides spring/branch off from the FTL series or making it impossible to be with the other player, MMO idea ain't gonna work. 2 friendly ships vs 1 enemy ship won't work. That is a potential of an all Ion ship (eg 4 x ion blast 2) and the other guy being 2 glaive beams or 4 pike beams or 4 flame beams or what have you.

Even if you do not have that kind of luck, you do have a friendly ship with you, if he gets an Ion bomb he can switch it to you or you pick up an ion blast, etc.

this also works vice versa, 2 enemy ships vs 1 player ship won't do, this will occur if the other player died or he went to a different beacon.

And there are some games that live forever, for example...

Pacman
Chess
Space Invaders
Tetris

(old examples)

or MechWarrior/ Battletech.
Freelancer.
Mario.
Elder scrolls.

(new examples)

Before the weeks of exams I had, before then other people started having more free time to themselves, what were they playing? most were trying to get a higher score then each other on Space Invaders while 1 guy went off and played on a PS2 version of MechWarrior 2 which came out in like 1995.

I still play old games. Games are still games. replay ability is only limited to your imagination.

Want an example of that? FTL is a good example of that, 1 game takes 1 hour from start to finish, some people stop playing games after they win, or just finish off a few achievements or what have you, I know some people with 4 digits in hours of FTL (one is at 2000's I think,, a friend on steam) that is a rough estimate worth of 1900 wins, and we all know RNG won't allow 100% win rate especially for new people. You can go challenge yourself and play with 1 crew, no shield on, no O2 on, use only ion weapons, what ever. maybe make your ship a missile boat or what ever, focus on a tactic you don't play or didn't play yet. etc. even though the game is reasonably repetitive. people still play it over and over and I still love it. MMO version of FTL in FTL like style will only kill the experience and may even make the game worth playing for less then a day.

oh and kieve what is wrong with ES: O? I was planning to play it on the PS4 when it's out... or is it out already? I didn't keep up with the recent news.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Nobal

Postby Nobal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:25 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:

Pacman
Chess
Space Invaders
Tetris

(old examples)

Freelancer.
Mario.
Elder scrolls.

Pacman co-op chess co-op spaceinvader co-op mario co-op mechwarrior co-op this can be fun but we must find way how don´t destroy ftl style but bring it co-op. I dont mean add new ship. read first what i mean.
Image Idea of races :)
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Look at the post about sacrificing a game's soul, an FPS would not work, RTS would feel wrong, controlling one crew would also feel wrong in FTL; although you should check out FinalFrontierDev on YouTube.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Nobal wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:

Pacman
Chess
Space Invaders
Tetris

(old examples)

Freelancer.
Mario.
Elder scrolls.

Pacman co-op chess co-op spaceinvader co-op mario co-op mechwarrior co-op this can be fun but we must find way how don´t destroy ftl style but bring it co-op. I dont mean add new ship. read first what i mean.

using MW as an example, there is a reason MW: O (MMO version of MW) has less then 10% of players then the single player versions (BT/MW 1- 4M) and co-op mode was not successful either in those games with roughly only 12 out of thousands and thousands of people on a Multiplayer, it's typically only organised plans of friends.

agigabyte wrote:Look at the post about sacrificing a game's soul, an FPS would not work, RTS would feel wrong, controlling one crew would also feel wrong in FTL; although you should check out FinalFrontierDev on YouTube.

using MechWarrior as an example again (come on! it was always the next gen game for a decade or two! ever since 1989 to 2004) spring offs do work.

MechWarrior was a (I think it is called) FPS game.
Battletech (the actual name of the franchise and before MW1) was an over top shooter.
MechCommander was a RTS game that had success.
MechAssault was a more Arcady FPS for xbox (the original xbox) (less successful but still popular among new console players)
Mech tactics (newer game in 2013, it is a Turn base game)
And MechWarrior: Dark Age was a popular table top game and so were digital versions.

Do you know how it's like to have a FPS, Arcade Shooter, Over top shooter, TBS, RTS, etc of a franchise and still be good? I know it will not feel the same as a FPS FTL but spring offs are not meant to be identical.

You are not going to have your Pause strategy, you are not going to have the choice of specific aiming at rooms, you are not going to have the same captain feel of a cruiser. But it can be done and I've been tinkering with G-Mod and Space Engineers.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want that to happen and as kieve said earlier I do not trust any company or what ever to do it. Go look at what war gamming did with there aviation and naval versions of World of Tanks.

Also god damn it why I always make big long posts!
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 pm

So you are saying it could be done but you do not trust anyone other than the FTL devs to make it?
jep

Postby jep » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Nobal wrote:Pacman co-op chess co-op spaceinvader co-op mario co-op

Do I really have to explain to you why this is an incredibly dishonest claim, at best? Really?

---

On the topic of a game "living forever", I was mainly addressing it being popular forever. I don't see FTL maintaining its popularity over time. However, I still see it being fun to play over time just as it is now. Very very few games can do both and a lot of them do it just because they were the first to use a given formula.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Nobal wrote:Pacman co-op chess co-op spaceinvader co-op mario co-op mechwarrior co-op this can be fun but we must find way how don´t destroy ftl style but bring it co-op. I dont mean add new ship. read first what i mean.

Are you troll or something? Or just co-op obsessed kiddo? =\ If you want Co-op, go and play some Warframe, or Borerlands, or Idk, Left4Dead. Leave FTL alone. There's a whole lot of suggesters just like you who have an ingenious idea about how to make FTL better (gosh, I say it again! People never learn) but mostly they are wrong or they have no idea how to actually implement this, or even worse, got the wrong idea of FTL itself.

It's not about having fun with friends. FTL is a hardcore, unforgiving, highly random (I wanted to say 'unpredictable' but then realized that it is not o_O) game that is better suited for a single player rather than for multiple players. It requires a single mind concentrated on everything, because multiple people will get messy. FTL is not designed for highly tactical teamwork. Also, good example of co-op rogue-like is Risk of Rain. Try it some other time.

P.S.: And remember kids, 'All is better with multiplayer/co-op' policy is a BAD policy. Dixi.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:46 am

agigabyte wrote:So you are saying it could be done but you do not trust anyone other than the FTL devs to make it?

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd trust even Matt & Justin to do the idea justice, and it's their game.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 am

Kieve wrote:
agigabyte wrote:So you are saying it could be done but you do not trust anyone other than the FTL devs to make it?

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd trust even Matt & Justin to do the idea justice, and it's their game.

True, I agree.
Nobal

Postby Nobal » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 am

hmm so i said idea and you attack like little kid. Forum is aboud ask a idea and consulting about it how it works (sry for english i do my best) not like NO this is stupid idea, go home etc. . . i dont even forum :I
Image Idea of races :)