Teleportation SUCKS! Boarding shuttles! Crew upgrades! An...

General discussion about the game.
wolfboyft

Teleportation SUCKS! Boarding shuttles! Crew upgrades! An...

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 am

Teleportation is CHEATY. That's why I can't watch Star Trek. :|

We need a special boarding shuttle, in place of a crew teleporter!
We need something that will let our crew stand a chance against invaders! WEAPONS AND ARMOUR RPG STYLE!
We need a cargo bay room type!
We need an OFFICIAL ship editor that can create a floor image to your rooms and doors using the rules that in-game ships have. And a shield image generator for the hull size. And some kind of guideline image editor for making cloak images.
We need something that will let us have multiple rooms of the same system.

We need a mode that treats your save file just like other games. And the game would be more complicated-
capturing enemy ships, (killing all their crew and then going to the cockpit to change the faction data
returning to the hangar to deposit ships (so basically a different story, so no pursuing rebels etc.) or getting a huge ship, and then putting your ships in ITS hangar, where your captain crew member (when he dies you have to choose a new one) walks about etc.

Plus what the hell are federation and rebel pirates? You know the ships with pirate markings.

EDIT:

There should be hostages and neutral and non-crew allies people etc that can be inside your ship too, the amount of people allowed in a ship (not just crew) would be judged by the amount of squares. Not counting rooms that are clearly airlocks. This would make the slaver events so much better, where the hostages could be accidentally killed in the fighting of the slave traders etc.
Last edited by wolfboyft on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfboyft

Re: Teleportation SUCKS! Boarding shuttles! Crew upgrades! A

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:43 am

Oh and yes, ship files should always face the player way, but when they're an opponent, they're orientated the enemy way.

We could add multiplayer, where the opponents would I dunno whatever. Or, what would make more sense CO-OP! Its 1,000 times funner.

Plus why is the name for an enemy ship the 'class'? Enemy ships should be JUST like player ships. But obviously a little weaker, for the sake of a chance. (However I would like to see Kestrel v Kestrel.)
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

First of all
wolfboyft wrote:We need

Who are those magical we? As far as I can see you are only one who had problems with teleporters. Don't use 'we' where there's only 'I'.

And if you don't like them - don't play FTL, go and get yorself some Space Pirates and Zombies, in which you have whole lot of boarding shuttles and other things that would pretty much satisfy you.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:54 pm

:roll:
I don't want another Galacticraft forum thing
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Nothing wrong with pitching ideas. Most of these suggestions were posted in the past, so there is more than 1 person liking them.

Once again regarding a ship editor, there never was a ship editor, they were drawn by hand. And shield image editor... is really any gfx editor. An ellipse with a hole in it and a transparency mask. It takes a few minutes to make one (more than a few minutes to learn how to set masks and use tools admittedly).

Most of the suggestions would drastically change gameplay and FTL would become something entirely diffrent.

We need a special boarding shuttle, in place of a crew teleporter!
We need something that will let our crew stand a chance against invaders! WEAPONS AND ARMOUR RPG STYLE!
We need a cargo bay room type!
We need an OFFICIAL ship editor that can create a floor image to your rooms and doors using the rules that in-game ships have. And a shield image generator for the hull size. And some kind of guideline image editor for making cloak images.
We need something that will let us have multiple rooms of the same system.

We need a mode that treats your save file just like other games. And the game would be more complicated-
capturing enemy ships, (killing all their crew and then going to the cockpit to change the faction data
returning to the hangar to deposit ships (so basically a different story, so no pursuing rebels etc.) or getting a huge ship, and then putting your ships in ITS hangar, where your captain crew member (when he dies you have to choose a new one) walks about etc.

Plus what the hell are federation and rebel pirates? You know the ships with pirate markings.

- why? it would do the same thing, or it could be shot down by a defense drone which alters the gameplay.
- we have several somethings, a Chamber of Immortality and airlocks. And golden mittens! Heck even Anti Personell drones.
- why? you have 4 slots in the equipment menu, so what purpose would a cargo bay serve? have your gear destroyed when hit?
- In this case you need to accept that learning FTL modding isn't easy, and decide wheter to learn it or not.
- nice idea. but it would completely change the way the game plays so it's not an improvement, just a change.
- FTL is a rougelike game, once you die, you die and must start over. No save scumming is possible.
- those ideas don't fit into FTL as it is now. Nothing wrong with throwing ideas out there and suggesting ways to add to the game. But what you're proposing is an entirely different game. Maybe someone should create a mashup of FTL and Terraria and maybe it would be fun.
- there are no fed or rebel pirates. just pirates, and they do what pirates do. Steal stuff and bully everyone.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
zeek

Postby zeek » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 pm

A cargo bay is an interesting idea. Perhaps it could store quest items (I know there's only one right now but they could add more). It would give boarders something to potentially steal. Maybe allow them to steal anything in the cargo bay if they teleport back to their ship from the cargo bay while not engaged in combat with crewmen.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 am

UltraMantis wrote:there are no fed or rebel pirates. just pirates, and they do what pirates do. Steal stuff and bully everyone.

They are most CERTAINLY using rebel and fed ships. Can I ask, have they captured and painted over a fed/rebel ship!?

BASTADOS! Except for when they mess up the rebels :)
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am

zeek wrote:A cargo bay is an interesting idea. Perhaps it could store quest items (I know there's only one right now but they could add more). It would give boarders something to potentially steal. Maybe allow them to steal anything in the cargo bay if they teleport back to their ship from the cargo bay while not engaged in combat with crewmen.

Thnx bro :D

EDIT:

I pressed submit too soon.

I really thought a cargo bay would make sense because you have cargo and all that.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Whoops! Post duplicate.
Last edited by wolfboyft on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:16 pm

UltraMantis wrote:- why? it would do the same thing, or it could be shot down by a defense drone which alters the gameplay.

-Me: because teleportation, if not limited properly (think, can that be done in this case?) is purely cheaty! I hate having to image teleporters are shuttles. Of course, I have kind of grown to like the idea of 4-man super-slaughtering mantis boarding parties, and sort of the idea of science, not magic based teleporting is quite nice. But the fact that you could be teleporting around your own ship, teleporting people and not using ships at all, it just ruins it. Of course, you can't do that in the game, but there's always 'even though you can't by the game simply not letting you, it would make sense to use that technology to do this'.

- we have several somethings, a Chamber of Immortality and airlocks. And golden mittens! Heck even Anti Personell drones.

-Me: What off Earth is the Chamber of Immortality (sounds cheaty too) and its golden mittens!?

- why? you have 4 slots in the equipment menu, so what purpose would a cargo bay serve? have your gear destroyed when hit?

-Me: Because when you have cargo, what point is there not having a room for it!?

- In this case you need to accept that learning FTL modding isn't easy, and decide wheter to learn it or not.

-Me: I can accept making a simple shield. Floors are impossible and seriously need an image generator.

- nice idea. but it would completely change the way the game plays so it's not an improvement, just a change.

-Me: The flagship's got an artillery room per artillery weapon, right next to the weapon! Its a gorgeous idea! But :P it no let us use it too...

- FTL is a rougelike game, once you die, you die and must start over. No save scumming is possible.

-Me: *googles roguelike* wait... they said Legends of Yore was roguelike, how come perma-death is an option for mad people and not enforced, if that's what roguelike is...

- those ideas don't fit into FTL as it is now. Nothing wrong with throwing ideas out there and suggesting ways to add to the game. But what you're proposing is an entirely different game. Maybe someone should create a mashup of FTL and Terraria and maybe it would be fun.

-Me: that's kinda what I meant. On the start screen it would say 'classic' for the old game and then have a proper game that, as I said, treats your file normally, allowing you to use the new ships and all that.