Space Rangers + This would be awsome!

General discussion about the game.
braven5

Space Rangers + This would be awsome!

Postby braven5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Has anyone here ever played Space Rangers 2?

Its basically a 2d open world, randomly generated Sandbox type game, with fully simulated world (turn based), trade, mission, ship upgrade, equipment upgrades etc etc

Reason I mention it tho is if FTL was to have a sequel, it could really make a mark if it had a world much like space rangers 2, with core difference of when combat starts it will be FTL style.

I think it would be a dream come true if such a game was to exist due to its deep longevity of the gameplay, especially with custom ship and upgrades.
CrashSanders

Re: Space Rangers + This would be awsome!

Postby CrashSanders » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:31 pm

braven5 wrote:Its basically a 2d open world, randomly generated Sandbox type game, with fully simulated world (turn based), trade, mission, ship upgrade, equipment upgrades etc etc

It is actually multi-genre science-fiction vieogame developed by Russian company. The genres include:
Wikipedia.org wrote:Text adventure, real-time strategy, Space trading and combat simulator, turn-based strategy, shoot 'em up, role-playing game, third-person shooter

It is far more than you've described. And it is not Sandbox by any mean, so stop deluding people, please.

Also Space Rangers are not Rogue-like and not Indie.
braven5

Postby braven5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 pm

I am very aware of what the game is I own it, which is why idea came to me in the first place, and it is sandbox because you can do whatever you want, with various dificulty sliders the colaltion can actually win the war against the dominators even if you don't fight them.

The point was however the whole 2d turn based open world/galaxy with random generation is a very viable setup.... and instead of the usual limited combat mechanic of Space Rangers having a FTL stlye combat with greater depth of tactics in ship design etc would really make a fantastic game.

FTL already use a very basic text adventure approach to boot, step that up and they potential for a significatly incrediable game with incredible depth.

Also I never said Space Rangers was roguelike or indie, I am mearly sugesting a idea for a future game that would be very fun.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:25 am

SR2 is pretty awseome. It should not be labelled as russian, as that implies it's hollow and cheap. It does like to crash far too much, but it's a very well designed game, both in terms of gameplay mechanics and visuals/UI.

There's some games on Kickstarted or Greenlight like Infreno Speed or The Mandate that mix and match bits of FTL gameplay. There's also an indie game called Drox Operative which is pretty cool. Too fast paced for my liking but cool. Anyway, there's maybe too many games with such themes and i think we'll see more coming, to the point of saturation.

The thing about FTL wasn't so much that it was a brilliant idea, it was an idea that nobody developed in many many years, and it was executed very well. Devs kept things simple where they could and focused on good, perhaps tough gameplay. But very rewarding and addictive.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Nevill

Postby Nevill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 am

UltraMantis wrote:SR2 is pretty awseome. It should not be labelled as russian, as that implies it's hollow and cheap.

I'm sorry, what? What kind of generalizing is that? Silent Storm (along with its spin-off project, Hammer & Sickle), King's Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic V, Rage of Mages, Space Rangers, IL2 Sturmovik, Perimeter, Blitzkrieg, Etherlords are all fine examples of great russian games. Your mileage might vary on what constitutes a russian game - Men of War, Metro 2033, and Stalker are games made by ukrainian companies which were nonetheless developed in Russian, and these games are known worldwide.

I'd take them (and eastern european ones in general, for that matter) over generic western stuff that they seem to grow in cloning vats any time of the week, thank you. They might lose some of their charm when they get a particularly bad translation, but that is hardly their fault.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 pm

I stand by what i said. Any game that is called "russian" is usually derided and usually with good reason. Space Rangers is not one of them however.

I think you're right that what constitutes "russian" is debatable. The games you listed certainly don't fit the generalisation. Maybe a less known developer and an unknown game would be treated with more suspicion, and it would probably be unfair.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 am

UltraMantis wrote:as that implies it's hollow and cheap.

That's a bullcrap! I am Russian and I am offended with such a description. Yes we have a lot of crap, but game industry is one of the most successful! Tension, Space Rangers, Perimeter, Etherlords, you name it! We have great games, so don't tell me that Russian is equal hollow and cheap. Just don't. =\

And yeah, Russian gamers are mostly douchebags.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am

I am not saying it's true, that's just bad reputation. Take it easy, i've got nothing against russian games or people. And SR2 is very well made game.
cicobuff

Postby cicobuff » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 pm

@Ultramantis, see what you get when u make general statements ;).

I for one am glad that the devs had decided that there will be no sequel. The main attraction of FTL was it's hardcore mechanics and focus. It does not do much, but what what it does it does it perfectly and it's extremely well thought out.

If I wanted to play SR2, I would play SR2. If I wanted a co-op MMO, I would choose from the gazillion titles available. I am waiting for a thread for FTL to be converted to a FPS in the next FTL version. Because you know, we need an FTL FPS. :)