Quit game deletes save?!

General discussion about the game.
mgb

Quit game deletes save?!

Postby mgb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 pm

I know there's been a lot of heated debate on the save game topic, but I noticed that selecting 'Quit Game' instead of 'Quit & Save' will actually delete my saved game... is this in keeping with the hardcore rogue-like design?!
Justin
Site Admin

Re: Quit game deletes save?!

Postby Justin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Your save isn't kept like in normal single player games where you can load it whenever you like. It's more of a "temporary save": it gets deleted as soon as you choose to 'continue game' or start a new game. Therefore if you don't save when you quit there is nothing to return to later.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 pm

You're not meant to reload, hence why there's no simple "save", without quitting, option.
waynebo

Postby waynebo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:30 pm

There should be something implemented for when the game crashes/doesn't render after alt-tabbing out and back in. I'm playing in fullscreen and had this happen twice to me where the game just won't render the graphics and I have no choice but to lose my hours of progress.
mgb

Postby mgb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Heh ok, thanks for the quick replies!
Still undecided on this as a design aspect personally, but admit it does add tension to the game :twisted:
My only bugbear is sectors with dead-end paths, as there's no way to tell if they will join up to the exit?
Sero

Postby Sero » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Dead-end paths shouldn't happen, but it's possible there's only one workable path at the extreme limit of jump-range. The choice to make finding that pass guesswork, was, I understand, deliberate, to add tension.