[IDEA] Mantis Flagship

General discussion about the game.
Eagle

[IDEA] Mantis Flagship

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Although some people are complaining about the boss (about how he cheats and how difficult he is to beat), I actually like fighting against him. I guess I'm just a fan of boss fights; it's fun to beat them! So I was thinking of having other powerful ships you could beat, and of course you should get some nice rewards for doing so!

Because I like the Mantis warships, I was thinking of a Mantis flagship which you could encounter during an event in a Mantis sector. When you attack and defeat it, you will be rewarded with 10 fuel, 15 missiles, 15 drone parts, a nice weapon (like a Halbert Beam or a Burst Laser MII) and the possibility to send the Mantis fleet it was leading (they listen to you because you are a great warrior or something like that) to attack the Rebel fleet, which makes the Rebels stand still for 4 or 5 jumps. You should also get a score boost.

The ship could be like this: looking like a Mantis Bomber mixed with the Mantis Cruiser, crewed by 12 Mantis with lvl 2 fighting skill, having a 4 person teleporter, 2 heavy lasers MII, 2 Leto's, 3 shields (6 bars), nice evade and one weapon room. It should have no medbay, no drones, no cloak and no AI. Because of the high rewards it should be a little rare to encounter the Mantis flagship; about 15% in Mantis controlled sectors, 25% in the Mantis homeworlds and maybe 5% in the Engi sectors (because the Mantis are invading them).

Thanks for reading through all this :) What do you guys think?
zeek

Re: [IDEA] Mantis Flagship

Postby zeek » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Yikes that would be tough to handle considering they'd be teleporting 8 crew or all 12 onto your ship fairly quickly. Level 2 fighting skill mantis are nothing to laugh at either. I think you'd end up venting the whole ship except the medbay and running crew back and forth to keep them all healed. The mantis would still probably be tearing up systems even as they suffocate. It might prove to be a more interesting challenge than the rebel flagship though. That one has been solved IMO.

So, I would be all for it. It would be cool if all the races got a flagship of their own. A crystal flagship with boarders could be devastating if they use their lockdown ability. They could basically instantly lock down in whichever room they land in and if there's only 1 crewman there they're basically dead. I think even a rockman with level 2 fighting and a engi medbot dispersal augment would still probably get killed.

Anyway I like the idea.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:09 pm

The problem is, with the exception of the Rebel flagship I don't think I've ever seen an AI teleport more than one crew over, and they pull them back if they break a fingernail.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 pm

5thHorseman wrote:The problem is, with the exception of the Rebel flagship I don't think I've ever seen an AI teleport more than one crew over, and they pull them back if they break a fingernail.

They don't teleport back if they're spawned by an event. New boss battle idea: 12 mantis boarders!
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 am

aaaaaa50 wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:The problem is, with the exception of the Rebel flagship I don't think I've ever seen an AI teleport more than one crew over, and they pull them back if they break a fingernail.

They don't teleport back if they're spawned by an event. New boss battle idea: 12 mantis boarders!

Okay now that would be horrifying.

_ :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
.__\__/`
,\
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:16 pm

The computer only teleports crew one time, and, like 5thHorseman said, they retreat once you've almost defeated them. The Mantis Flagship should teleport 'only' 4 mantis in total. Luckily, the mantis can't heal 'cause the Flagship doesn't have a medbay.

@ zeek I think you're right that lvl 2 fighting skill is a little too much. Lvl 1 is better.

Okay now that would be horrifying.

_ :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
.__\__/`
,\

:lol: That would be funny!

Thanks for all the positive reactions!
Scalinger2

Postby Scalinger2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Maybe not a flagship per se but a mantis ship similar to the rock one in the rock homeworlds but maybe with max shields and some buffs would be cool.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Scalinger2 wrote:Maybe not a flagship per se but a mantis ship similar to the rock one in the rock homeworlds but maybe with max shields and some buffs would be cool.

Do you mean similar to the Rock Assault? I actually like a powerful flagship. I would add the option to NOT fight it, so you have a choice: fight it with a big risk (unless you have a very good ship) and get some nice stuff, or don't fight it (but you won't get anything). Some blue options would also be fun, like:

[Engi Crew:] Order your Engi crewmember to hack the Flagship's teleporter.

EDIT: I forgot that you should also get some scrap; 50 would be nice, I think... Perhaps you should get some more if you only defeat the crew?
jaml96

Postby jaml96 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:41 pm

maybe in every sector a flagship? in engi homeworlds: the torus, rebel sector: red tail, mantis homewords: gila monster, civilian sector: the kestrel, etc?
zeek

Postby zeek » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 pm

jaml96 wrote:maybe in every sector a flagship? in engi homeworlds: the torus, rebel sector: red tail, mantis homewords: gila monster, civilian sector: the kestrel, etc?

I don't know about using the playable ships as flagships, but if there were a flagship per homeworld maybe a reward for beating them could be unlocking some of the NPC ships. I think it would be fun and ridiculous to try to beat the game with some of the NPC ships. Like the one with the O2 and engines detached from the rest of the ship. You'd basically have to get super lucky to get through the game without losing either of them.