Scanners and Ship Unlocks...

General discussion about the game.
SgtFrog

Re: Scanners and Ship Unlocks...

Postby SgtFrog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 pm

BKT wrote:
SgtFrog wrote:The airlocks [on Mantis_B] are very well-placed to easily herd enemy boarders into my medbay!
Though Rock A has a nice, compact design (good for the slow-moving Rocks)

Trust me, you'll regret you ever said this! :twisted:

I've had pretty good success with Engi A, and that's even more compact! Sure, beams and ions might be an issue, but boarders will be very easy to take care of.
BKT

Postby BKT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Appearances can be deceiving! :oops:

Rock ships, the A type in particular, appeared compact, yet you'll more than ofthn find yourself ordering your crew to run around the ship like crazy just to do trivial things like repelling boarder, healing, fixing stuff, or just moving around. :evil:

Mantis_B has a deep flaw in the placement of its vulnerable subsystems— although this ain't that common, but a fire in the door room (from sun or bomb or a lucky shot) in the early sector can put you in deep shit real fast... :twisted:

Engi_A indeed has pretty good layout— one of the best, in fact! ... Still, nothing can come close to both type of the Slug Cruiser in term of layout... It may appeared very confusing at first glance, but damn! If you know how to take advantage of it, it's the best layout in the game, bar none! :o
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:25 pm

BKT wrote:Appearances can be deceiving! :oops:

Mantis_B has a deep flaw in the placement of its vulnerable subsystems— although this ain't that common, but a fire in the door room (from sun or bomb or a lucky shot) in the early sector can put you in deep shit real fast... :twisted:

Isn't that true for ANY ship? Level 2 doors are almost always the first thing I buy, so it often is extinguished before it spreads too much.
BKT

Postby BKT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm

The difference is that you only have 2 mantis to deal with the whole mess, possibly while getting shot + bombard by more flare...
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 am

BKT wrote:The difference is that you only have 2 mantis to deal with the whole mess, possibly while getting shot + bombard by more flare...

Mantis B has a Boarding Drone and a Defense Drone. Sun flares really are pretty much the only thing in the early sectors that could cause serious damage. If only you could equip an Anti-Personnel Drone and/or a Sys Repair Drone to look after the ship while your crew is away...
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 am

SgtFrog wrote:
BKT wrote:The difference is that you only have 2 mantis to deal with the whole mess, possibly while getting shot + bombard by more flare...

Mantis B has a Boarding Drone and a Defense Drone. Sun flares really are pretty much the only thing in the early sectors that could cause serious damage. If only you could equip an Anti-Personnel Drone and/or a Sys Repair Drone to look after the ship while your crew is away...

If the oxygen goes out and the whole ship loses air, your two mantises can NOT fix it, no matter how much you upgrade your medbay. I know, I've tried it :) If they can't fix the air, they can't fix anything else (Maybe the teleporter, and MAYBE the piloting but I've never tried those. Everything else is assuredly too far away). I'm not going to say this is super common or anything, but it's about as common as a solar flare taking out your doors and lighting them on fire while the airlocks are all closed.

One of my most favorite runs ever, I went through a whole sector with no air, just running the mantis from the level-3 medbay to the cockpit to make the next jump, and then teleporting to the enemy ships to actually do damage. Escaping the auto drones was hard but possible. Eventually I picked up an engi and things went much better after that :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:11 am

SgtFrog wrote:Mantis B has a Boarding Drone and a Defense Drone. Sun flares really are pretty much the only thing in the early sectors that could cause serious damage. If only you could ...

As I stated earlier, it's not exactly a common occurrence for this event to occur. And not only that, the fault I mentioned in the Mantis_B can be easily deal with once you get more crew later on.

... But that doesn't change the fact that its layout has an inherent weakness, a fault that, combined with your starting crew, can easily leads to a catastrophic failure if you're a bit unlucky— unlike Slug Cruisers layout, which is so resilient to all sorts of problems and vastly superior to it in any conceivable way.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 pm

BKT wrote:
SgtFrog wrote:Mantis B has a Boarding Drone and a Defense Drone. Sun flares really are pretty much the only thing in the early sectors that could cause serious damage. If only you could ...

As I stated earlier, it's not exactly a common occurrence for this event to occur. And not only that, the fault I mentioned in the Mantis_B can be easily deal with once you get more crew later on.

... But that doesn't change the fact that its layout has an inherent weakness, a fault that, combined with your starting crew, can easily leads to a catastrophic failure if you're a bit unlucky— unlike Slug Cruisers layout, which is so resilient to all sorts of problems and vastly superior to it in any conceivable way.

They do look good, but I'm unsure, since Slug A's airlocks are all the way in the back. If your medbay or oxygen catches fire, you'd have to vent half your ship to put it out. Slug B doesn't even have a medbay (though it does start with Level 2 doors, so fires are less of a problem)! And both ships lack sensors, but due to Sensors only costing like 50 scrap and the natural sensing ability of Slugs, that problem is easily remedied.
BKT

Postby BKT » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:41 am

Slug_A:— Fire in Medbay/O2 is not really a problem since you start with lv.2 door, you can either turn off O2 and just wait for it to die out or sent someone to go deal with it (you rarely have to do this, but if you need to, it's very safe since both room are next to each other) or just vent the ship using the topmost vent— it may seem like you have to vent "half of the ship" to reach medbay, but really it just 3 rooms, all of them are 2 square (quick to vent) and contain no man-able system (can be vent without losing any bonus while in battle)

Also, despite its asymmetric and weird looking layout, all of the ship's main system room are very close to each other and laid out in a way that allow your crew to quickly convene and help each other when something happen. ;)

Slug_B: It has vent all over the place, many of which are right next to the most vulnerable room which allow you to quickly vent the air out. It also has tons of empty room that, because of its placement between each system room, acts as a trap to delay boarder. These 2 traits combined made the ship not only easy to defend from enemy boarders attacks or fires at (almost) any room, but can quickly kill them as well without requiring any help from your crew at all; it made going through a mantis sector surprisingly easy despite the absent of medbay— if enemy boarded you, just open a few airlock, move your crew a bit out of the way if needed and maybe fire the Artemis at the tele room if you feel like it, and then just sit back and watch them suffocate to death! :twisted:

One of its biggest strong point for both type (but more pronounced in the A type) that may not immediately obvious by looking at the layout until you actually playing it, is that it resilient to everything, not just fire— and more than that, if you play your card right, it can withstand all these threats happening all at once! :o ... Imagine 2 mantis teleport on your door room, a boarding drone smash hole & wreck havoc on the O2 room and firebomb at the medbay, all of these happen simultaneously! ... As extreme as that may sound, but with some experience, you can actually survive this only with the starting crew, i.e. 2-3 slugs, and without any upgrade— it may not be a painless battle, but you won't going to die a horrible death. 8-)
Last edited by BKT on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadarm

Postby Canadarm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:23 am

Rather off topic, but I think it would be interesting and hilarious to commandeer ships if yours gets blown up while you have guys on board the enemy ship. (Assuming their crew is dead).

'Nooooooooo Why did it have to be a slug intercepter?!?!'
'Because you blew up the oxygen and it wanted vengeance'
'Dang it!'

*Secret achievement*
You unlocked the slug interceptor as a playable ship.
It has replaced all others until you beat the game with it.

T_T

This ^ was possibly caused by me just missing getting the slug cruiser with the Vortex today. *sigh* Dat Interceptor.