How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

General discussion about the game.
Bluevein

Re: How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

Postby Bluevein » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 am

Great OP!
I like the way you are approaching this change. Taking a low priority element of the game and tweaking it to make it more well rounded. Your reasoning is like that of a game designer.

Even if the final numbers ended up only slowing workers by 1-2 second per door it would have a large impact. Repair and fire response, as well as pursuit of enemy invaders would all be delayed slightly. This delay would continue until the system is fixed, and by keeping the delay low the system itself would still remain relatively low priority (compared to life support, shields and weapons) but still something that you may in certain situations want to get fixed during combat instead of only afterwards.

This would also create a a risk vs reward situation with the location of your own systems. By having key systems all close together you would be able to more quickly begin repairs on each system, but also increase the risk of fires spreading from room to room, and sweeping weaponry from hitting multiple key systems simultaneously.

It would also make targeting enemy ships systems based on their location as well as function a slightly more important. You could choose to target 2 systems in different parts of the ship knowing that the 4 doors between the 2 systems would delay repairs by 4-8 seconds.

I believe that a 1-2 second delay would be large enough to make the attack a tactical choice. and small enough to not make the mechanic feel annoying or terrible when it happens to the player.
Note: I am not in the beta and base most of my perception of the game come from a massive number of YouTube playthroughs and reading of patch notes/changes.