let's play the same map!

General discussion about the game.
rhaining

let's play the same map!

Postby rhaining » Thu May 30, 2013 12:26 am

I just realized it would be trivial for us to all play the same map. Someone just needs to start a game, save it, then share the save file with the community. It could be competitive (see who can do the best w/ a single run through on the same map, on your honor not to replay or use hints from other people who played) or just for fun (to see what the differences are between different play throughs of the same map).

I'm planning on starting it up with an Engi A game on Medium. The rules of this particular engagement will be that YOU MUST ALWAYS CHOOSE SECTOR #1 WHEN YOU TRAVEL BETWEEN SECTORS; this way, we'll hopefully be able to compare all 8 sectors with one another (assuming we get that far).

I'll post the save file on Thu. or Fri.. I'll record my playthrough and post 1 video per sector to YouTube. Due to multiple competing commitments, I won't be able to play as fast as some, but I should be able to finish within a week. Please record your videos if you can or at least take screenshots or at least notes about what you experience in each sector, so we can compare what happens to each of us. On your honor, only play through one time, w/o looking at anyone else's notes about what's coming up in the future. No special constraints, just play to win and have a max score. (OK, one special constraint. Because it's sometimes possible to grind against the rebel fleet forever and get an infinitely high score, the special constraint is that you must always jump (a) to or closer to (b) the exit beacon or any beacon that will not be owned by the rebel fleet when the jump is complete. This will let people voluntarily engage the rebel fleet if necessary to scour some extra open beacons, but otherwise players will need to make haste to the exit.)

If you're not sure how to use someone else's save file, read this topic:
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=721
5thHorseman

Re: let's play the same map!

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 am

I'm down for this, though I am almost positive that future sectors are randomized. I haven't tested it fully but I think their type is the same, but their layout (where the stars are, how many shops there are, etc) are random.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
966socho

Postby 966socho » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Every thing is random other than the color of the sectors I think. And even that could be decided only at the end of the first sector.
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:38 am

I hope it's not completely random for others, that would be lame, but just in case it is, I'll post multiple save files at multiple points in my journey. I'll also post my videos, 1 per sector, and if anyone else records videos, I'll stitch them all together into a single playlist of everyone who played the same map. (All sector 1 videos followed by all sector 2 videos. etc..)

Save file, start of sector 1:
MPC1-Sector1-Start.zip
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:43 am

Finished sector 1. Video is still converting, will upload to YouTube and post link when available.

I'm very relieved to note that choosing sector 1 every time looks like a great route through this sector map.

Here's my save game at the end of sector 1 just before jumping. I see choice #1 is Mantis Controlled and choice #2 is Uncharted Nebula. I don't recommend anyone use this file per se, I only upload it just in case, to have a more complete record of my journey through the map.

MPC1-Sector1-Exit.zip
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 am

Here's the save file at the start of sector 2, along with a picture of my sector map.

MPC1-Sector2-Entrance.zip

my-map-sector2-entrance.jpg
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:45 am

Here's my YouTube playlist, where I'll keep track of all my videos from this map -- and anyone else's videos of this map.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLommWm810a2wmNRUHoQsG-z4Wb4ChrTOx
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:19 am

My sector 2 is very different from yours. I went to the Civilian Sector at the top of the 2 choices I had.

I also had a better 1st sector than you. Picked up a hull beam and powered it before exiting the sector.

Sadly, I don't think I'll continue the series as there will be no correlation between our two saves from here on out, and I've got several ships to still beat the game on YouTube with.

Failed as it was, this was a fun experiment and I wish it'd have worked. Too bad you can't save a "seed" of a world and then re-play it, maybe without any chance of setting records or getting achievements (so people wouldn't then distribute "easy" seeds or seeds along with directions on how to exploit the layouts).
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

rhaining

Postby rhaining » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Completely understood. By any chance did you take screenshots or a video of sector 1? I'm curious if the differences in sector 1 were because you chose different beacons than I did, or if you got different random drops.

To confirm, your sector 2 choices were Civilian as the top choice / choice #1??

(In a pinch I realize I could replay the game myself and get a very good feeling about what is random and what is not. But, it would also be interesting to compare different playstyles for different players so I hope at least a few people stick with it.)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:49 pm

I did not video it or grab any screenies. I just played the first sector really quick to test. The civilian sector was #1. I don't remember what #2 was but it was red. I don't remember the rest of the map.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB