Obtaining the slug cruiser

General discussion about the game.
snowhusky5

Obtaining the slug cruiser

Postby snowhusky5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 pm

I know how to obtain the slug ship; let slugs surrender, ask for info, follow, use sensors mk II, etc etc. My only question is, if you attack the ship that surrenders to give you the information, and kill all the crew instead of damaging the hull and letting them live, do you still get the quest?
More Dakka

Re: Obtaining the slug cruiser

Postby More Dakka » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 am

I don't believe so. In particular, my impression is that it's not a *specific* ship which surrenders, but more like there is a random probability for a slug ship to offer a surrender *if you damage their hull enough*. Wiping out the crew while leaving the target ship basically intact doesn't seem to ever give them the chance to surrender.
Zalminen

Re: Obtaining the slug cruiser

Postby Zalminen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 am

Since the slug unlock was the very last I got and it was getting pretty frustrating, I did some digging around in the data.dat (which contains all the events etc. in XML) to make sure I wasn't looking in the wrong place or something.

There is a comment there that says there's a 1/3 chance for slug ships in the home sector to offer the information option when surrendering but it's probably outdated as looking at the actual event data it seems to be just a separate event that just looks like one of the normal nebula fights. (i.e. the ones that just throw you directly in a fight without any choices and don't disable any systems beforehand).

And yes, killing the crew won't trigger the unlock quest.