Free-roam mode?

General discussion about the game.
Ghastly

Free-roam mode?

Postby Ghastly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Friend of mine gave this to me for Christmas, and I have to say, I'm loving this game to death. It's incredibly fun, and on a technical level it's really impressive.

I have one suggestion that would make for an expansion set or something similar, if you wanted to do that; a free-roam mode, where you pick a ship and explore a randomly-generated galaxy without worrying about any pressing mission or pursuing fleet. As fun as the game is, the main quest and the boss gets old when you beat it five times. The framework for random galaxy generation is already there, and it would give the opportunity to add new quests and things you couldn't do with the time-limit in the base mission. I can imagine salvage amounts and things like that would have to be rebalanced so you don't advance so quickly, though.

It would also give an excuse to improve modding support a little bit. For example, you could tweak it so modders can add new ships rather than replace existing ships.

Just my two cents. As I said, I love the game.
Megas Domestikos

Re: Free-roam mode?

Postby Megas Domestikos » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:22 pm

There's a mod that disables the fleet. That effectively means free-roam though be careful not to run out of fuel!

P.S. Welcome to the forums and have fun with the game :)
Space Roman
Ghastly

Postby Ghastly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I do know about that one, and I've been running it to unlock the different ships, but the issue I have with it is that it makes the game too easy (I'm sitting on 1000 scrap with a fully-upgraded and crewed ship), and you still have that linear path and finite amount of sectors to go through, with the boss at the end. A free-roam mode would have a more open-world RPG style and scrap collection would be balanced for that.

And thanks for the welcome. :D
omegaai

Postby omegaai » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Not sure if you meant you already tried infinite space. I was under the impression your not limited to 8 sectors in it.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3542
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Perhaps Infinite Space is more what you're looking for then? At least in the short-term, it's about the closest we can get to a free-roam mode. I suggest combining it with something like Weaponanza* for added variety.

*Do note there's a known bug using the "Panacea" repair-bomb that can disable your crew's ability to man the repaired system. Avoid using on shields, engine, weapons, and piloting.

EDIT: Ninja'd by omegaai. Drats!
Ghastly

Postby Ghastly » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 am

...Wow, how did I not actually notice that? Thanks!