5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
5thHorseman

Re: 5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 am

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman: Why is the teleporter not working? T...T...

B Team: We should be teleporting to the other ship. Why were we ordered to report to the Medbay?

:lol:

5thH, have you played Captain's Edition since the boss got artillery support in round 1 and hacking in round 3? Just wondering.

I haven't played it at all in a *long* time. I barely remember it. However, I've not played any mods (except the one I've recorded that will be out soon) since...September? It's been a while.

I'm leery to dive into something as big as CE right before AE comes out, too.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm

My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:13 am

Something seems different, and it is probably because of the lower scrap rewards for Hard difficulty. I can't quite articulate what it is... :x

:idea:

Progress seems to be rather slow and underwhelming.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 am

RAD-82 wrote:Progress seems to be rather slow and underwhelming.

Yeah you need a tight budget to get anywhere in Hard mode. I also was not particularly lucky in this first episode with weapons. As in, I saw not a one, anywhere, at any time. But just to meet my personal goals for shields and engines, I've found you need a bit of luck and VERY solid play.

So far I've demonstrated neither of these qualities :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Technical question: I've previously noted that your pilot glow was in the wrong position. This is a problem for various people. I noticed in the latest video that your pilot glow is correct. Any idea why? Using a different computer, or updated a video driver? Something had to change, because it can't just fix itself.

Observation: Your "A" game seems to be on vacation. At least you understand the game better than most. :lol:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 am

RAD-82 wrote:Technical question: I've previously noted that your pilot glow was in the wrong position. This is a problem for various people. I noticed in the latest video that your pilot glow is correct. Any idea why? Using a different computer, or updated a video driver? Something had to change, because it can't just fix itself.

Observation: Your "A" game seems to be on vacation. At least you understand the game better than most. :lol:

I've made no changes, though I think a new version of FTL came out recently. I don't know when I updated it in relation to the videos, and I never, ever notice glow images ingame so didn't note it as well.

Regarding my "A" game, I work 3rd shift, 10-hour days and on weekends I flip my sleep schedule around a lot. I frequently record when I get home from work and I'm frequently tired when I do so. Sometimes I'm drinking a beer as well which can't help :) Also, I'm getting to be an old dog and learning the new AE tricks is taking some time but my "off camera" play has gotten significantly better in the past couple weeks (the videos I'm posting now, I recorded April 8th, a mere 5 days after AE came out. Granted I had the Beta but during that I wasn't trying to win so much as trying to find bugs) and I'm starting to feel that a 50/50 ratio on Hard is not impossible.

Now whether or not that sort of thing makes it to the videos... that's anyone's guess :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Season 4 Episode 47 - Gila Monster Hard Mode

Well, it easy to see where twelve damage could have been prevented. That auto-assault was harmless (almost), if you only teleported into the weapons! :x

You are your toughest opponent. :P
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:49 am

RAD-82 wrote:Re: Season 4 Episode 47 - Gila Monster Hard Mode

Well, it easy to see where twelve damage could have been prevented. That auto-assault was harmless (almost), if you only teleported into the weapons! :x

You are your toughest opponent. :P

But that ship's so harmless! Why bother?

...was what I thought 3 minutes earlier, after my hulking wreck limped on to the next system.

(incidentally I should probably update this thread with all I've done in the past few months)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 pm

That shop, where you bought a Fire Bomb, had Mind Control. I think that would have improved your chances with that bomb. You have to go back to episode 48 to see it, as you didn't show it in episode 49.

Manning the weapon system also helps when you chain fire bomb, as it gives the enemy less time to make repairs. While you do need to bomb the shields, I think it is better to take the slower approach and go for the medbay first. Things were starting to look better when you actually gave up on the shields and did that.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 pm

RAD-82 wrote:That shop, where you bought a Fire Bomb, had Mind Control. I think that would have improved your chances with that bomb. You have to go back to episode 48 to see it, as you didn't show it in episode 49.

While I agree that I'd have had a better chance against the boss with mind control (or the breach bomb) instead of the fire bomb, my reasoning between fire and mind control was that you tend to find it in every other store. Until you pass up on it, of course. Fire bombs are not quite so common.

RAD-82 wrote:Manning the weapon system also helps when you chain fire bomb, as it gives the enemy less time to make repairs. While you do need to bomb the shields, I think it is better to take the slower approach and go for the medbay first. Things were starting to look better when you actually gave up on the shields and did that.

I agree on this point but I don't think it would have helped enough. I was taking so many missile hits I had no chance winning a drawn out battle. I had to win quickly, so I had to take the shield down. And that was impossible. Manning the weapons is a good point, but I don't think I'd have ever made it anyway. They put those fires out FAST.

I should update this thread with all I've done. I keep forgetting to...
My Videos - MY MOD HUB