Inexperienced Let's Play (help within!)

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
SapplePie

Inexperienced Let's Play (help within!)

Postby SapplePie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Just started a Faster Than Light playthrough (and Let's Play channel in general!).

First time playing FTL so don't expect anything other than bumbling incompetence for quite a while!

Any tips on both the game or commentating in general would be greatly appreciated. If there's anything blindly obvious I'm missing or ignoring please let me know!

My first steps into Faster Than Light
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5

I've noticed there's a fair few mods knocking about, are they any to be recommended is just getting to grips with vanilla the best way forward?
Last edited by SapplePie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Captain

Re: Inexperienced Let's Play (help within!)

Postby The Captain » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Better Planets & Backgrounds is awesome and doesn't change gameplay (although some images are bright enough to make parts of the UI hard to see).
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 pm

I'll stay away from any nitpicking, and start this by saying you did very well for your first game. You've got the right idea!

Zoltans in the 1st sector are hard, and when they have Burst Laser 2's they're even harder.

You should NOT have abandoned the pilot room to fix anything. Pilot is the #1 priority for your crew in most any situation, especially when the enemy has a Burst Laser 2 and you've only got 1 shield!

You'll learn on your own when you should and should not go to stores. Mostly in the first sectors you don't need to. Don't fall into the "must fix my hull fully" trap. I only fix mine up to 20. Usually it's better to spend that scrap on upgrades and purchases.

Boarders don't like rooms without air in them. Explore the possibilities of that :)

Your mistake was actually dying with 142 scrap in the hold and not upgrading your shields and engines. Defense means less damage, which means less scrap you need to spend on repairs. Upgrade those shields and engines and you'll do just fine.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
SapplePie

Postby SapplePie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the link to that image mod, they look really pretty awesome, think I'll give that a go at some point!

And thanks for the feedback Horseman.

I'll bare in mind about Zoltans to begin with, I thought difficulty was dependent on sector level, didn't realise the various factions impact it, will have to take a note.

Would you say Engines or Shields are more important to prioritise? In later videos I've focused on engines before shields because I keep seeing my downfall in missiles.

I hadn't thought about the knock on impact of spending on defence giving you more money as the game progresses due to less refunds, I'll definitely look to upgrade defence as soon as I can where possible, think I got stuck in the mindset that I could only upgrade at stations!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 pm

I personally put a slight preference to shields but consider them both important. Here is my personal checklist of things to do. I try to follow it with most every ship:

Before the end of sector 1, 2 shields (4 bars)
Before the end of sector 2, 4 engines.
Before the end of sector 3, 3 shields (6 bars)
Before the end of sector 4, 5 engines.

Also, you need to have a way to get through:
Before the end of Sector 2: 2 shields (Most ships can do this)
Before the end of Sector 4: 3 shields (This usually means you need to buy weapons or a teleporter in sector 3)
Before the end of Sector 7: 4 shields (or the Boss is gonna suck)

Note: to get through 2 shields, you need to do 3 laser shots. Or have 2 ions and a laser/beam/whatever. Or have a teleporter. Or a bomb. Doesn't matter what.

THEN I start thinking about upgrading other things, like doors and O2 and medbay and stuff.

Most of the time I don't reach these milestones, and I end up not getting my 4th engine until midway through sector 3 or something. No biggie, as long as you keep trying.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Red Rocket

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi sappiepie

I never defeated the boss in FTL, untill i begane watching Vanguard of Valor.
He has posted a lot of videos playing FTL on youtube, almost all of the ships and weapons are in them.
It's a great way to get some experience and fun to watch.
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4818

Some tips from me, after having watched your video:

You don't have to be at a store to enhance you're ship.
So if you have the scrap, you can press the "ship" botton and level up your systems.
There are some exceptions: you can't upgrade in a fight, in a asteroid belt or a plasmastorm.

Engines and shields are important to improve to stay alive.
You can never have enough shields, but engines at level 5 is enough to get you through most fights.
If you have level 2 shield, you should be save in the first 2 sectors.

Good hunting.
SapplePie

Postby SapplePie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Got some more videos up now (links in opening post).

Just unlocked the Zoltan Cruiser (I think? Extra shields and a beam weapon to start?) and really liking that. Think I might start using that for awhile!

Is there any particularly good/fun ship to try and unlock?

I'll have a look at some of those videos, seems to be fairly comprehensive.